EF-18M C.15M Hornet Ala-15 Zaragoza - Hasegawa 1/48

C.15M EF-18M Hornet

15-28

Spanish Airforce Ejercito del Aire

25 years of Hornets at Ala-15 Zaragoza  air base

Quien ose paga

Hasegawa 1/48

Modelmaker decals

I saw this very same jet at Airpower 19, unfortunately only static... :(  but still impressiv paint scheme! need to search for my old photos!

airpower-zeltweg-oesterreich-33-747x420.

credits to : https://mypics.at/blog/airpower-fotos.html

Modelmaker is producing decals for some of the greater schemes out there, check them out!

xjVTzRs.jpg

jqQXD4K.jpg

the kit itself is in my stash, the box rather battered, contents fine though fortunately!

FID1LkZ.jpg

might add the one or other aftermarket set after going through my boxes....

• Like 7

• exdraken changed the title to EF-18M C.15M Hornet Ala-15 Zaragoza - Hasegawa 1/48

Great to see the spanish Hornets getting some love, BUT the Canadian scheme looks lovely as well. Maybe we will see it return later this year? I sure hope so!
What is your take on the Modelmaker decals? They appear a little bland in the photo, buit this might be due to some camera settings.
OTOH the picture of the original seems to have the colours slighty oversaturated.

• Like 1

started to cut some sprues....

actually my first Hasegawa Hornet -shame on me!

detail is good, but I am a but under-whelmed by the cockpit, and the obvious complexity of this kit!, also the age of those molds shows... lots of cleanup necessary! and as usual, one has to get accustomed always again with the hard/ and brittleness of Hasegawa plastic....

w5jM5sd.jpg

seat is rather bare, some molded on belts are more of a joke!, something needs to be done in this respect!

tvWpBTA.jpg

I guess I will not invest in an Aires cockpit, mostly as it would only arrive late if I even find one!.. lets see!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, modelling minion said:

Those moulded on seat belts aren't the best are they Werner, perhaps just get a resin seat as it would be much cheaper than a cockpit and would probably actually fit.

let's see what the post ´woman brings in the next week...

the seat is not bad in overall shape I think.... but detail is soft, as on the cockpit consoles...

landing gear bay on the other hand I think is quite ok :)

• Like 1

now you've got me, Tiger Meet scheme!!! :wub:

Mmm that cockpit is a bit underwhelming, some nice AM resin bang seats are what you need....... and maybe some Quinta........arr what the hell!! Give me you CC details and I'll sort out inn the AM stuff you'll need!!!  Trust me! :D

• Haha 2

On 1/9/2022 at 9:47 PM, Bertie Psmith said:

I hope she doesn't slow you down too much. I'm expecting at least a cockpit.

lucky me!

LpoqsNv.jpg

not that apparent in this shot, but difference is huge!

X4XyVyQ.jpg

first sanding session.... as was to be expected :wall:

ymThYkM.jpg

Jy7oLjz.jpg

• Like 3

"lucky me!"..... I've never heard that comment made on arrival of a Aires Cockpit...... should be like "woe is me!" :rofl2:

Through my crystal ball I can see through the fuselage as well once you've sanded it back enough for the cockpit to fit! :D

But yes it will be an improvement over the kits supplied cockpit.

• Haha 3

On 1/14/2022 at 12:40 AM, trickyrich said:

lucky me!"..... I've never heard that comment made on arrival of a Aires Cockpit...... should be like "woe is me!" :rofl2:

20 hours ago, gingerbob said:

I was thinking the same thing,

Gentlemen... thanks! :D

sort of masochism is involved here I guess...

Actually the "lucky me" referred to Bertie and his expectations... :D

I'm expecting at least a cockpit.

Actually, I ordered a Quickboost seat AND the cockpit. But only the cockpit has arrived... a signal? ;)

I hope she doesn't slow you down too much. 

It is already.... sanding, dry fitting, sanding...

And guess what...

Sanding!

Is there actually an alternative cockpit out there?

All recent stuff is of course for Kinetic' great kit!!

Despite the usual difficulties of fitting an Aires cockpit or almost any resin cockpit I guess, there is some beautiful detail there and it will be absolutely worth the effort. As you’ve seen, I’ve used the kit parts and a few bits of etch and it does improve things a little, but your cockpit will be a different level. I assume you’ll have the canopy raised to show it off?

• Like 1

ub0Dcr6.jpg

N9SXCCh.jpg

those photos are really bad, but I think I managed to sand enough to make it fit! :) 

:happy:

I also found the resin seamless, full length intakes I searched for the past 2 weeks :)

1upHkB4.jpg

from Xmold, I guess they will also help to complicte this build.... but usually fit is good with Xmold. 

Ex5UV3B.jpg

detail definitely is !

kiV3lfZ.jpg

NDBwKIl.jpg

Xl3oE6u.jpg

dwO9mfm.jpg

lets see how all this fits :) 

• Like 5

They look fantastic. I’ve got a Maestro Models set of seamless intakes, but they’re probably not even half the length of those. Have you got aftermarket exhausts as well?

they do look quite nice and the fit looks to be good as well. How much surgery did it need to get them to fit? 

Well done on getting the cockpit tub to fit...... just know the labour involved with Aires tubs! Should look nice once it's all painted up.

16 hours ago, trickyrich said:

they do look quite nice and the fit looks to be good as well. How much surgery did it need to get them to fit? 

they are pretty nice, surgery is marginal as constrained to plastic hidden within the fuselage anyways....

klofrzW.jpg

before 

and after:

ae7uxgc.jpg

fit si also rather good:

only the outer "fainrings glued to the intakes as of yet

oSq7n5t.jpg

feels a bit like a puzzle to put it like this for the photo and dry-fitting :)

TQU7qvI.jpg

• Like 6

• 3 weeks later...

two weeks without any real progress....

some base painting,

so I tried to bring the cockpit up to something  that can be nicely hidden in the fuselage ;)

DGrWenM.jpg

the mesh that protects the avionics bay is nicely done in PE but hardly lets you see a thing of the below stuff :D

5F2Lchy.jpg

ready to close her up!

9UIFWWS.jpg

• Like 3