1/48 Eduard Pfalz DIIIa

Dear all -

First completed model for the New Year.

This is the 'weekend edition' latest re-release of Eduard's Pfalz DIIIa with new markings.   

A nice little kit although some details are not included within the kit.   I therefore added various scratch built (using stretched sprue and plastic sheet) to try and replicate some of the more obvious missing items.   These include (amongst others) mainy:

Adding fuel and radiator pipe work;
Basic details to engine;
Hollowed out exhaust opening and engine vents/intakes in cowling;
Machine gun front sights, feed and ejection shutes;
Gun triggers to control stick;
Seperating and posing control surfaces

I found fitting the upper a bit on the tricky side especially ensuring the wing aligned correctly.

Rigged using sewing smoke coloured 'invisible' nylon mending thread and Oschi standard elastic thread for elevators and rudder.

Being a brush painter, this was quite an involved paint scheme which took about a week to paint fuselage and nose.   Adding the decals was also fairly time consuming for the lozenge fabric wings including rib tape application as well as other general markings.

It's not perfect (I keep trying!) but I am generally pleased with the outcome on this one.

Chosen markings represent Lt Eugen Siempelkamp, Jasta 29, Gondecourt, France, July 1918.

RVZrSZS.jpg

xhatICd.jpg

PAAmSdZ.jpg

eePifK9.jpg

Fccsg2y.jpg

wXrtMx0.jpg

8nkvSp4.jpg

dA3fh7O.jpg

j09uYGQ.jpg

FW01pcG.jpg

nJTEDeZ.jpg

eFcCMKz.jpg

Regards

Dave

• Like 31
  • Thanks 3

P, Dodd and RMCS and all those who posted a reaction -

Thank you all kindly.

These latest Eduard weekend edition range are refreshed with striking box art, colour printed paint/marking guide plus four marking options.  In this particular kit you get an extensive selection of decals including pre cut lozenge decals with seperate rib tapes - good value for money.

Regards

Dave

Beautiful work Dave. I love it!

I keep telling myself I really must pluck up the courage to have a go at something WW1. These eduard kits as you say are great value so maybe the time has come. 

James 

• Thanks 1

Ah, definitely one of my all-time favourite aircraft... such an elegant design... Lovely work, Dave, and an eye-catching coulour scheme.  Well done... :-).

• Thanks 1