Legendary Blackbird - Part 5: SR-71A "Blackbird" (1:48 Revell + 3D Printed Parts)

On 19/01/2022 at 21:52, Serkan Sen said:

A bit reverse engineering but it works most of the time...

Some outstanding calculations here, Serkan! The more I see at Revell moulds, the more I think it’s really overpriced and not well-designed for the 21st century... Did you see these sink marks on the tertiary doors? Excellent progress and improvements on your drawings. Bravo! 👏

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Yikes again. Thanks Jeffrey.

Do you have a timescale — give or take several months — for the release of your own kit? 

And, without getting into specifics, is there any chance of a YF-12A to follow? 

Please also consider a realistic Sigint antennae "farm" for the U-2R, being repopped by Italeri. A few Hypersonic bits and it could be amazing.

Tony 

The dimensions of nose wheel well and the doors have been corrected and some new details added to them:

2890.jpg

2894.jpg

2895.jpg

Now the parts in printing phase. 3 hours later I will see if all these efforts bring any improvements on printed parts or not!..

Serkan

• Like 5

On 2/1/2022 at 4:20 PM, Tomjw said:

Your CAD skills are impressive. Can't wait to see the printed results.

Thanks Tom. Here are the printed parts (new vs old).

First the NLG bay door: The rivets and additional details give very nice look to the new part.

2900.jpg

And here is the evolution of wheel bay model: top to bottom - old to new

2902.jpg

and the close view of the uplock mechanism and pipe routing:

2901.jpg

The wheel bay together with the lower fuselage part:

2903.jpg

2904.jpg

More images will follow...

Serkan

• Like 14

On 03/02/2022 at 21:56, Serkan Sen said:

Here are the comparison pictures of original and printed parts:

2905.jpg

2906.jpg

2907.jpg

2908.jpg

2909.jpg

Now I have all the parts printed that I want to use in my project. Finally  I can start building the Blackbird 😁

Serkan

Hi Serkan, when I look at these photos, I have no word about your work. I'm just impressed... ! I think you have the qualities to build a really great scale model conversion parts business.🙂   

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Neffan said:

Hi Serkan, when I look at these photos, I have no word about your work. I'm just impressed... ! I think you have the qualities to build a really great scale model conversion parts business.🙂   

Thanks Neffan. I hope your Flanker builds go well. Please share some pictures if you started your T-10M builds.

Serkan

• Like 2

On 03/02/2022 at 14:07, Serkan Sen said:

First the NLG bay door: The rivets and additional details give very nice look to the new part.

Oh Gosh, it’s unbelievable! Looks like the real thing, Serkan.

On 04/02/2022 at 05:06, David H said:

Gee, this is what we would call in the trade a "No-Brainer"...

Exactly! 👍

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Since couple of weeks I didn't do any progress in this project because I was trying to make a decision whether to model MLG bay or not. Yesterday I decided to model MLG area as well. Here is the kit MLG bay parts assembled together:

2919.jpg

I started to model the basic MLG well and it has been created very easily:

2920.jpg

Then I added the wheel housing (I don't know how to call it!) details:

2921.jpg

Next is to add the stringers and other structural details...

Serkan

• Like 5

22 minutes ago, Nikolay Polyakov said:

Looks promising Serkan, as always! 😉

Thanks Nikolay, all the parts till now I printed look very good and improve the kit significantly. Therefore I decided to model the MLG assembly as well.

Serkan

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Serkan Sen said:

Then I added the wheel housing (I don't know how to call it!) details:

2921.jpg

I've seen it described as "Wheel Basket Protector". Also as "Main Wheel Protector" or even just "Wheel Bucket". It's purpose was to contain the tire pieces and prevent damage to the aircraft, in case of a tire explosion due to overheating.

I don't know if any of these terms are "official", but the first I found in a "SR-71 Overview Brief", link here:

https://roadrunnersinternationale.com/carpenter/uhc_sr-71mstrbrfjun10.pdf

- Bill

• Thanks 3

Before adding more details to the model I decided to make a test print to see the current status. Here is the result:

2926.jpg

And together with the kit MLG well:

2927.jpg

And some close views:

2929.jpg

2930.jpg

2931.jpg

2932.jpg

Although there are some areas to be improved/fixed in overall the result is very promising. Next step is to add the fasteners to some pipe routing. I haven't decided yet whether I should model the main strut and side stay or use the kit parts.

Serkan

• Like 10

I'd lost track of your work for a while there, and you've made some brilliant progress.  I'd be tempted to get a 3D printer if I had any talent for the software side.  :worthy:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1