Legendary Blackbird - Part 5: SR-71A "Blackbird" (1:48 Revell + 3D Printed Parts)

1 hour ago, gordinir8 said:

Can the original kit wheels be used to your new legs? Asking this because I have a aftermarket set which has the same dimensions as Revell's wheels.

Yes I think so. I didn't change much the fork, a bit longer (around 1mm) and slightly wider.

I will put some comparison pictures showing  the fork before and after modification.

Serkan

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Serkan Sen said:

Here is again the comparison of initial and final models:

3118.jpg

And the new center wheel with corrected main strut fork:

3119.jpg

And with the cloned wheels:

3122.jpg

Next step is to add inner and outer wheel details...

Serkan

👍👀😉💯👍

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Looks very good, may i suggest something regarding the wheel bays? I would like to see the wheel shrouds to be thinner as in the real plane. I don't know if this is possible or has to do with the printing process just saying. I must have my model ready by late Oct due to local model show, so i hope those sets will be ready soon.

5 hours ago, gordinir8 said:

Looks very good, may i suggest something regarding the wheel bays? I would like to see the wheel shrouds to be thinner as in the real plane. I don't know if this is possible or has to do with the printing process just saying. I must have my model ready by late Oct due to local model show, so i hope those sets will be ready soon.

Many thanks. The wheel shrouds have been thickened due to printing limitations. But I can do some fine tuning to reduce the wall thickness up to 50 percent. All my models are in 1:72 scale and the wall thicknesses have been optimised for this scale. I have to create two set of models for 1:48 and 1:72 separately to reduce the wall thickness in larger scale.

I will be five weeks away for summer break at Aegean coast (but my laptop will be with me to continue digital modelling). After my holidays I can make all the parts available latest by the end of August if it will not be too late for your project.

Serkan

• 3 weeks later...

I have finally finished the tire modelling. The profile shape has been corrected and some missing texts and details have been added.

3138.jpg

3139.jpg

3140.jpg

The next step will be to print the tires and rims and finish this build. However, this step will have to wait as I will still be on summer break for the next two weeks. Maybe in the meantime I can work on the ejection seat model.

Serkan

• Like 5

The tire profile in previous post is for the display aircrafts in museums without inflating with nitrogen. But the tires on operational aircrafts had more rounded profile as they were highly pressurized with nitrogen:

3146.jpg

3147.jpg

3145.jpg

Now the wheels fit better to the fork.

Serkan

• Like 7

3 hours ago, Serkan Sen said:

The tire profile in previous post is for the display aircrafts in museums without inflating with nitrogen. But the tires on operational aircrafts had more rounded profile as they were highly pressurized with nitrogen:

The type of gas has no bearing on the shape of the inflated tire, the pressure alone determines that. If there’s a difference in tire shape between operational & museum aircraft, the museum must be inflating to a different (presumably, lower) pressure. 👨‍🏫

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, billn53 said:

The type of gas has no bearing on the shape of the inflated tire, the pressure alone determines that. If there’s a difference in tire shape between operational & museum aircraft, the museum must be inflating to a different (presumably, lower) pressure. 👨‍🏫

You are right Bill. The type of the gas has no effect on the tire shape but the level of pressure. Here is a reference picture together with the final model:

3144.jpg

3114.jpg

The lower left model was one of the preliminary modelling attempts.

Serkan

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Happy you got the tire shape sorted out.

Regarding nitrogen in tires, if your car mechanic or repair shop offers to inflate your tires with nitrogen (at an ‘inflated’ price, of course), just say No.  It’s a scam. 

• Haha 2

16 minutes ago, billn53 said:

Happy you got the tire shape sorted out.

Regarding nitrogen in tires, if your car mechanic or repair shop offers to inflate your tires with nitrogen (at an ‘inflated’ price, of course), just say No.  It’s a scam. 

Since several years I am using leasing car from Mercedes Benz as they offer us with special conditions and replace the car with a new one every year. I don't even fill water to the windshield washer reservoir... 😁

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Serkan Sen said:

Since several years I am using leasing car from Mercedes Benz as they offer us with special conditions and replace the car with a new one every year. I don't even fill water to the windshield washer reservoir... 😁

HaHa!

I once worked with a guy who claimed he bought a new car whenever the ashtray was full. 

• Haha 2

Using "Blender" tool the loaded tire mesh has been generated:

3149.jpg

3152.jpg

The loaded tire for eight different rotation positions were modelled:

3153.jpg

Next step is to add the print supports and make the models ready to print after the summer break.

Serkan

• Like 4

• 4 weeks later...

This weekend I have printed out the nose and main wheel parts for the initial checks. Here are the nose and main wheel tires and rim halves:

3159.jpg

3160.jpg

3161.jpg

Although there are some areas to be improved (especially the tire print supports), I am very pleased to see how the rim halves fit perfectly to the tires. The more detailed pictures will be shared here:

When the wheels (and the seats) are completed my build will be finally in RFI stage 🙂

Serkan

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, billn53 said:

Those wheels & tires do look nice!

Thanks Bill. The main wheel hub models have been updated and reprinted. Here are the close views:

3176.jpg

Also the main and nose tire models have been flattened at the bottom (as @Brandy suggested here) for different positions and their print supports have been modified. The job has been submitted to printer:

3177.jpg

Next step is to paint all wheel parts and to complete landing gear assemblies...

Serkan

• Like 5

The nose wheel has been painted and tire and rim halves have been assembled together without any glue (simply snap tight):

3178.jpg

3183.jpg

Here are the original and printed wheels:

3182.jpg

And the nose gear assembly with original and printed wheels:

3180.jpg

3181.jpg

Next step is to finish main wheels...

Serkan

• Like 6