Legendary Blackbird - Part 5: SR-71A "Blackbird" (1:48 Revell + 3D Printed Parts)

3 hours ago, gordinir8 said:

Very nice so far but I wonder why you have this silvering since the surface was gloss. Maybe Revell decals are not that good. I will be very cautious with mine now that I saw this. NLG bay looks fantastic and much much better than Revells.

It was my fault rather than Revell decals. The decals are nicely printed, very thin but strong enough. I suspect that this happened because of Future/Pledge undercoat. Most probably it was not leveled out enough because the black paint had orange peel texture. I should have sanded the entire aircraft with 3000-4000 grit paper to have a smoother surface before applying clear coat. Being a bit impatient causes such consequences...

Serkan

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

10 hours ago, Serkan Sen said:

I should have sanded the entire aircraft with 3000-4000 grit paper to have a smoother surface before applying clear coat.

Exactly this, sand the primer coat back to 2500/3000 before applying paint, then micromesh your paint back to 8000/12000 before gloss coat. It makes a big difference.

• Thanks 1

The wheel struts and side stays have been placed. The wheels have not been painted yet but they gave been also assembled to check whether all of them are touching the ground:

3091.jpg

3092.jpg3093.jpg3094.jpg

3095.jpg

3096.jpg

Legs!.. I have legs... Finally I can stand on my own feet!..

Serkan

• Like 6

On 6/23/2022 at 11:41 PM, Serkan Sen said:

I am not good in weathering and detailing the wells but I think this is acceptable for a beginner. My technical skills have been always superior to artistic skills even in the primary school. 😁

Well you look like an artist to me Serkan.  Inspiring build :D

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Excellent work (as always).

You probably know this, but for the silvered decals you can try poking the silvered areas a few times with a needle, then coating the decal with your favorite decal softener (MicroSol, Mr Mark, SolvaSet, etc.). More than one application may be needed.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 6/25/2022 at 10:01 PM, billn53 said:

Excellent work (as always).

You probably know this, but for the silvered decals you can try poking the silvered areas a few times with a needle, then coating the decal with your favorite decal softener (MicroSol, Mr Mark, SolvaSet, etc.). More than one application may be needed.

Thanks Bill. Yesterday I tried. But after a second coat of gloss varnish and a dull coat this method didn't help. As I said this was my fault. I should not hurried up to finish that step.

No more late midnight modelling!.. 🥱😴

Serkan

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Serkan Sen said:

The wheel struts and side stays have been placed.

Yes! 👍

1 hour ago, Fritag said:

Well you look like an artist to me Serkan.

His modelling approach is an art, for sure!

• Thanks 1

Although the wheels look not very bad I decided to model and print them as well. Because all my other ongoing Oxcart/Blackbird projects need new wheels both in 1:72 and 1:48 scales. During last couple of days I was working on nose wheel and now the model is mostly completed:

3100.jpg

I did modelling both for M-21 and SR-71A as they have different plates on the rim. You can find them here.

The main wheels will be a bit challenging because of three different rims each for early and late types.

Serkan

• Like 1

2 hours ago, gordinir8 said:

You may think a separate tyre and rim, this will make silver tyre painting more easy with an airbrush. I have a set of 3D printed wheels this way and it is not a bad idea. 

This is also my intention. Without printing rim halves and tyre separately it is not possible to get all tiny details on printed parts.

Serkan

• Like 1

While I was preparing the STL file for printing I noticed that the modelled wheel has significantly bigger diameter than the Revell one. There is a 1.6mm difference in diameter. I had to check everything again to verify the correctness of my model dimensions.

3110.jpg

I recalled the chart from Dunlop catalog to check the tyre diameter:

2866.jpg

25 inches is equal to 13.2mm in 1:48 scale. That means the Revell nose wheel is undersized... (11.6 x 48 / 25.4 = 21.92 inches)

I will do a test print soon to check the results both in 1:72 and 1:48 scales (but I have to replace first the FEP film because I damaged it while I was printing the Pokemon figures for my daughters. Normally they should have played with Barbies...)

3111.jpg

Serkan

• Like 4

It seems that either the people hast lost their attention to this build or no one has any detailed pictures of the main wheel brakes. 🙃

I found a picture by chance here that shows the inner side of the rim with a bit detail in the comments section:

https://archive.aeroscale.net/features/5059/index.htm

I did some preliminary modelling and I will post the pictures soon.

Serkan

22 minutes ago, Serkan Sen said:

It seans that either the people hast lost their attention to this build or no one has any detailed pictures of the main wheel brakes. 🙃

I found a picture by chance here that shows the outer side of the rim with a bit detail in the comments section:

Serkan

Well, I was paying attention and spent a fair amount of time looking for brake pictures, no joy.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, billn53 said:

Well, I was paying attention and spent a fair amount of time looking for brake pictures, no joy.

Many thanks Bill, I did already some modelling and maybe this is already sufficient for such details which are not visible at all.

Serkan

The basic model of main wheel tire and rim is ready. But before posting the images I noticed that the wheel looks a bit strange: very wide tire section height and very small rim diameter. BF Goodrich SR-71 tire has the dimensions 27.5x7.5-16 (cross checked from Goodyear catalogue) and what I understand that:

Nominal diameter: 27.5 inches

Nominal width: 7.5 inches

Nominal rim diameter: 16 inches

I used exactly above dimensions to model the rim and tire but definetely I miss something...

Jm796.jpg

Serkan

I think you should use real tire dimensions and then build something that looks good with your eye into the model, most possible reason is that Revell LG is not exactly as the real thing that is why when you put the exact copy of the real it looks wrong. Hypersonic models made a review on the revell kit (i am sure this guy has some very serious info on this airplane) and said that Revell wheels are wrong but maybe correct for the model. So in conclusion maybe use Revell wheels dimensions.

Thomas

On 7/4/2022 at 12:40 AM, Serkan Sen said:

It seems that either the people hast lost their attention to this build or no one has any detailed pictures of the main wheel brakes. 🙃

I found a picture by chance here that shows the inner side of the rim with a bit detail in the comments section:

Serkan

...or you could buy my wheels, readily available and with good and accurate inner detail as well ;)  I had to re-size the tyres a bit from accurate scale dimensions to make them fit the Revell main struts. A little thinner (i.e. less over all width), and slightly less tread diameter.

An accurate (but again adapted for the inaccurate Revell kit) brake chute bay is available as well ;)

Jeffrey

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, gordinir8 said:

I think you should use real tire dimensions and then build something that looks good with your eye into the model

Yes Thomas, this is also my plan.

Here is my first attempt of tire and rim modelling:

3112.jpg

The tire section height and rim outer flange diameter don't look correct. It doesn't fit to gear fork either. I spent a bit time to check the strut and wheel shape correctness:

3113.jpg

3114.jpg

3115.jpg

It seems that the fork inner surface has to be modified and my tire profile is far from the real one 🤔

Serkan

• Like 2

The wheel model has been updated. The tire details are still missing but the wheel looks much better than the previous attempt:

3117.jpg

The main landing gear fork model has been updated as well. I will post the entire assembly pictures soon.

Next is to add inner and outer wheel details to mid wheel model.

Serkan

• Like 3

Here is again the comparison of initial and final models:

3118.jpg

And the new center wheel with corrected main strut fork:

3119.jpg

And with the cloned wheels:

3122.jpg

Next step is to add inner and outer wheel details...

Serkan

• Like 5