Legendary Blackbird - Part 5: SR-71A "Blackbird" (1:48 Revell + 3D Printed Parts)

A 1/48 Blackbird is a bit too big for me, but I’m definitely interested in adding an A-12 and YF-12 to the 1/72 SR-71 in my display case. 
And, I know you’ve done a great job with 3D enhancements for those variants. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, billn53 said:

A 1/48 Blackbird is a bit too big for me, but I’m definitely interested in adding an A-12 and YF-12 to the 1/72 SR-71 in my display case. 
And, I know you’ve done a great job with 3D enhancements for those variants. 

Thanks Bill,

I am still working in parallel on A-12, A-12B and M-21 conversions with 3D printed resin parts based on 1:72 RevellMonogram and Italeri/Testors kits. Most of the parts were already done including the engine and wheel wells but the current showstopper is to print the clear parts:

2051.jpg

Serkan

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Serkan Sen said:

Thanks for your kind words. Once all the parts are fully tested and ready to use I can make them available to forum fellow members with a reasonable cost.

I'll definitely be interested in purchasing a complete set once they become available.

Cheers,

Tom

15 hours ago, Serkan Sen said:

Thanks for your kind words. Once all the parts are fully tested and ready to use I can make them available to forum fellow members with a reasonable cost.

I'll definitely be interested in purchasing a complete set once they become available.

Cheers,

Tom

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Serkan Sen said:

Here are some dry fit test shots:

2974.jpg

2975.jpg

2976.jpg

The door arms/links are still missing. I will added them soon and I will be ready to start my build 🙂

Serkan

Hi Serkan, super ! Great Job !!! 😉 

• Thanks 1

The door rods were added and now all parts are ready for final print test:

2979.jpg

2980.jpg

During MLG strut modelling I realized that the part is symmetric except the torque links. The torque links have the same orientation on both sides...

Serkan

• Like 7

Discovered this topic yesterday, no need to tell you that you are doing amazing work. I had just starting to adding some internal details in my nose wheel well but after your post i just paused my build until those parts are ready so i can buy a set..

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Great skills, deep study of the SR-71. 

But I have a question: there were announced problems with shapes of the nose area. Is it possible to get correction resin parts? 

SR-71 is too big in 48th for close eyes on such misshapes.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, MicroShket said:

But I have a question: there were announced problems with shapes of the nose area. Is it possible to get correction resin parts? 

How bad is it? Can you see what the problem is? Probably better to wait for the Hypersonic/Gaspatch kit which will be released before long. 

9 hours ago, MicroShket said:

Great skills, deep study of the SR-71. 

SR-71 is too big in 48th for close eyes on such misshapes.

Thanks lot. I haven't modeled entire SR-71 yet. But from the below comparison it seems that the kit nose is longer than the actual aircraft:

2842.jpg

6 hours ago, Alan P said:

How bad is it? Can you see what the problem is? Probably better to wait for the Hypersonic/Gaspatch kit which will be released before long. 

Most probably in my build I will use the kit nose as is. The IFR receptacle size and position seems not correct either...

Serkan

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 5/11/2022 at 9:03 PM, Nikolay Polyakov said:

It’s the only right work to describe @Serkan Sen’s work! These parts are the small pieces of modelling art. Bravo, Serkan! 👍

Thanks lot Nikolay. Last few days I  was busy with painting all these printed parts. I will post some images of the progress soon.

Serkan

Very good depiction. Clear and easy to understand where the differences lie, which a modeler needs as a starting point to decide what needs to be fixed, and what doesn't.

-d-

• Thanks 1

The updated MLG assy parts have been printed and final fit test has been done:

2984.jpg

2985.jpg

2986.jpg

The inlet and exhaust parts were primed and lightly sanded (the diffuser parts are missing here in the picture):

2987.jpg

The inner surfaces were painted to steel and titanium:

2988.jpg

2990.jpg

To fit the exhaust assembly some surfaces have to be modified:

2989.jpg

Both intake and exhaust assemblies have been placed and the seam lines have been filled with putty;

2991.jpg

Next step is the wheel wells.

Serkan

• Like 11

• 4 weeks later...

I had to make a decision whether I should use the decals for cockpit details or give try to paint them. I decided to go with second option:

3042.jpg

3043.jpg

And for comparison, here is the cockpit and instrument panels with decals nicely built by @Alan P

tn_Habu (84)

The wing tip/engine assemblies, the forward/aft cockpit tubs and the IFR bay have been glued to fuselage upper half.

3047.jpg

Serkan

• Like 6