Legendary Blackbird - Part 5: SR-71A "Blackbird" (1:48 Revell + 3D Printed Parts)

2 hours ago, Mike said:

I'd lost track of your work for a while there, and you've made some brilliant progress.  I'd be tempted to get a 3D printer if I had any talent for the software side.  :worthy:

Thanks for your kind words Mike. Now I have almost all parts to start my build. I haven't decided yet whether to use kit main strut or to print it as well.

Here are the printed and kit parts together:

2941.jpg

2943.jpg

2944.jpg

And the original vs printed parts:

2942.jpg

Serkan

• Like 9

More fantastic work 👏👏👏

How does the kit main gear attach to the wheel well?

I have also missed your latest updates (sorry 😔) but these enhancements really transform the Revell kit into what it might have been 👍

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Chemguy3000 said:

Have you chosen a name for your aftermarket company yet? :poke:

David

slmd-logo_mobile-1611319735.jpg?16113255

www.slmd.us or www.slmd.eu

Currently in demo mod. Nothing is available to sell. I made this website to learn how to build an online store. 😁

Serkan

• Like 5

6 hours ago, Alan P said:

How does the kit main gear attach to the wheel well?

There is a hole at underside of the main strut. I did a pin on wheel well which fits to that hole. Also there are two slots where wheel strut trunnions are sitting.

2940.jpg

2943.jpg

Serkan

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

The print support plate and support structure of the wheel well have been removed and the area has been sanded to get a smooth surface which is necessary to glue to upper and lower fuselage halves together.

A little modification is needed to place new wheel well. The black marked area has to be removed:

2945.jpg

2935.jpg

2937.jpg

2936.jpg

I decided to model the main strut as well. I will post some images soon...

Serkan

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, David H said:

I love the detail that's rendered in the 3D printed strut but at the end of the day, how strong will it be?

Thanks David,

The resin looks very stiff and strong enough to carry the aircraft weight but we will see the result soon. I have already printed a pair (although the torque link length a bit exaggerated in the old model) and  I will do some tests.

Serkan

• Like 1

Here are some pictures that show the printed and original parts together:

2955.jpg

2956.jpg

2957.jpg

I have already corrected the torque link length and now I am adding many other fine details to model. Hopefully I will finish all 3D modelling till end of this weekend and start to build the kit by next week. Or should I model the wheels as well? 🤔🤨🙃

Serkan

• Like 9

9 hours ago, Serkan Sen said:

I have already corrected the torque link length and now I am adding many other fine details to model. Hopefully I will finish all 3D modelling till end of this weekend and start to build the kit by next week.

I think we’re all tempted to see your build with all these printed gems! 🤤

9 hours ago, Serkan Sen said:

Or should I model the wheels as well? 🤔🤨🙃

Yes, please! 🙂

The printed struts as well as other parts looks very uniform. More than that, these looks like they don’t need any sanding to smooth down the printing strokes. So tell us Serkan, is it a printer-related or something else? Most of commercial 3D-printed parts looks not so great as yours.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

This is absolutely incredible work! 👏👏👏👏

I have this kit in my stash and have thought about starting it, but seeing your development work and skills I will be waiting until you open your shop and start to sell the parts before opening the box! ;) Again, amazing work and just shows how far 3D printing has come in a short time.

Rob

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
On 4/16/2022 at 9:16 PM, old pelie said:

Have been following this with great interest. My new revell blackbird is on the way. Have you thought of marketing your 3D parts? If so, how can I get them? 

Thanks lot. I will gladly make them available when all parts are ready.

I was suffering from back pain that was blocking me to sit in front of pc and complete the 3D modelling. Fortunately after couple of weeks stretching and exercises now it gets better and I had a chance to finish main landing gear strut model. Here are some pictures of the new model:

2959.jpg

Here is the entire MLG Bay assembly:

2962.jpg

The model is now ready to print:

2963.jpg

It will take 6 hours to see the results...

Serkan

• Like 8

I would ask the same question as Nikolay. How did you get the prints without any 3d printing striations, or ribbing? All my prints have to be sanded and that removes all the small detail!

Also what printer are you using?

Ian

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Serkan Sen said:

I was suffering from back pain that was blocking me to sit in front of pc and complete the 3D modelling. Fortunately after couple of weeks stretching and exercises now it gets better and I had a chance to finish main landing gear strut model.

Sounds very bad, I'm glad you are feeling better now 💪

Good to see you are working and improving the parts in stages, they look amazing, as expected! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 3/15/2022 at 10:04 PM, Nikolay Polyakov said:

The printed struts as well as other parts looks very uniform. More than that, these looks like they don’t need any sanding to smooth down the printing strokes. So tell us Serkan, is it a printer-related or something else? Most of commercial 3D-printed parts looks not so great as yours.

On 4/22/2022 at 7:03 PM, Brandy said:

I would ask the same question as Nikolay. How did you get the prints without any 3d printing striations, or ribbing? All my prints have to be sanded and that removes all the small detail! Also what printer are you using?

Ian

My latest printer is Elegoo Mars 3 with 0.035mm XY resolution and 0.025mm Z step. I use Elegoo ABS like resin and I am very happy with the price/performance as the parts are much more resistant to impact and less brittle. I will also give try Eono 3D ABS Like Rapid Resin (Amazon Brand).

Serkan

• Like 3

On 3/16/2022 at 2:07 PM, Rob Maynard said:

This is absolutely incredible work! 👏👏👏👏

I have this kit in my stash and have thought about starting it, but seeing your development work and skills I will be waiting until you open your shop and start to sell the parts before opening the box! ;) Again, amazing work and just shows how far 3D printing has come in a short time.

Rob

On 4/16/2022 at 9:16 PM, old pelie said:

Have been following this with great interest. My new revell blackbird is on the way. Have you thought of marketing your 3D parts? If so, how can I get them? 

Thanks for your kind words. Once all the parts are fully tested and ready to use I can make them available to forum fellow members with a reasonable cost.

• Like 2

On 4/22/2022 at 8:55 PM, Alan P said:

Sounds very bad, I'm glad you are feeling better now 💪

On 4/23/2022 at 7:59 AM, Tomjw said:

Your CAD skills and attention to detail are most impressive. I'm glad you're feeling better.

Tom

Thanks Alan, Tom,

Maybe I should allocate some of model build time for training and sport 🙂

• Haha 1