Hello everyone my 1st build will be PK-23 the Hawker Tempest Mk.II/VI. Im planning on doing it as a Mk.II not quite sure what I’ll do for markings yet ? The decals are questionable at best. I will probably build it as Factory fresh build minus codes. I really like the idea of it in High speed silver ? Or if I can figure out a way to make Indian or Pakistani roundels from scratch. d833S4l.jpg

2A647xn.jpg

Please feel free to ask questions, post comments or add thoughts. 

Dennis

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle
  • Like 13

So good to see you here Dennis and whats more with one of my all time favourite Matchbox kits. This  Tempest goes together well although you might need more filler where the two engine parts meet the two wing parts underneath the two fuselage parts - you got that !! I’ve always liked the way that this kit featured wheel well detail and the hubs on those wheels are extremely well done. Good luck choosing your choice of scheme, a Sub-Continent version is always great to see. 

Cheers, welcome aboard and best of luck.. Dave 

• Thanks 1

Nice choice indeed, If you’re doing the Indian version I believe the markings supplied are wrong, the fuselage marking should be blue, not orange white and green. I await being shot down !

Wulfman

Edited by Wulfman
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hello everybody … Well I finally got a start on building. First glue to plastic in almost 10 weeks. Not much to these so you can get at them very fast. qzLffpe.jpg

jdAnp22.jpg

s47JxXj.jpg

GRFR76m.jpg

kB5Yfd8.jpg

There were minor gaps under neath but they will be easy to take care of. Please feel free to ask questions, post comments or thoughts. 

Dennis

• Like 13

Finally figured out the markings, going for a Asian equivalent to Luft ‘46. I found out that 152 Squadron converted to Tempest Mk.II’s and so Im going to carry over their lovely “Panther” markings to this bird. 

https://commons.m.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Air_Ministry_Second_World_War_Official_Collection_CI1283.jpg#mw-jump-to-license

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Hello everyone … well I’m pretty much done with this as far as build/sand/fill and next up is paint. I did add the cannon barrels from Master models. To say I was unimpressed isn't quite right.
5YZLYCW.jpg

To add Ive hollowed out the two smaller intakes, both are for carburetor if memory is correct. The big one in the right wing is for oil cooler ? 

5hfw1Vs.jpg

The barrels were half the diameter of the Typhoon barrels I installed earlier today ? Is that correct for a Mk.II Tempest ? Seemed more line .50 caliber than 20mm, then again there was no muzzle brake or flash hider. Hmmm maybe that accounts for the difference. Please feel free to ask questions, post comments or thoughts. 

Dennis

• Like 10

Going purely by memory Dennis, all Tempests were equipped with 20mm wing cannons. Now I think I just left my wing cannons as holes when I built my Tempest a few years back. I didn't think they were that prominent a feature. 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Thanks 1

Hello everyone … Well Ive been lucky with a whole weekend free to work on stuff. Tonight it was the Hawker assembly line. I was able to get the O2 tanks behind the pilot and mount the canopy. 
eq75hM9.jpg

DhpGza2.jpg

wBAAtsD.jpg

5ym026h.jpg

5ciJ1ej.jpg

2nYEatw.jpg
Once it is set I can finish sealing it and the mask for paint. Please feel free to ask questions, post comments or add thoughts. 

Dennis

• Like 10

Looking good Dennis👍

It's interesting to see this MB kit has fully recessed panel lines. All my kits have a mixture of raised and recessed. 

Nearly ready for paint 😀

Cheers Greg

• Thanks 1

On 2/8/2022 at 12:07 AM, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

the barrels were half the diameter of the Typhoon barrels I installed earlier today ? Is that correct for a Mk.II Tempest ? Seemed more line .50 caliber than 20mm, then again there was no muzzle brake or flash hider. Hmmm maybe that accounts for the difference. Please feel free to ask questions, post comments or thoughts. 

Dennis

Hi Dennis,

Whilst the early Tempests had long barreled Mk 2 Hispano cannon, the wider wing chord mean that only a small part protruded beyond the wing leading edges compared with the Typhoon, but they were fitted with fairings which makes them look fairly thick. Later Mk V anf the Tempest II had the shorter barreled Mk 5 Hispano so did not protrude at all, and I suspect that what you bought were actually meant to be blast tubes to fit inside the wing and make it look less like a couple of holes into a hollow wing. As such they would not have fairings or muzzle brakes and so would be relatively narrow.

Looking good so far.

Pete

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, GREG DESTEC said:

Looking good Dennis👍

It's interesting to see this MB kit has fully recessed panel lines. All my kits have a mixture of raised and recessed. 

Nearly ready for paint 😀

Cheers Greg

Thank you everyone … Greg I agree about the panel lines or are these more like trenches ? Actually to be fair there must have been two people working on the molds. The fuselage panel lines are quite fine, the wings are a bit wider and deeper. I suppose I could fix that but at the rate I can work on things right now. Id be here till June just filling, sanding, and re-scribing. 

• Like 2

Good afternoon everyone … My apologies for such a long delay in posts. Unfortunately Ive had a family situation occur at the end of January and its slowed my work down. However I’ve been doing what I can when I can and the last four-five days have opened up. So much so that I have done almost all of the painting on all 11 of my builds. So without much more of my lonely babbling I present the Tempest II. So far the two grey’s and white stripes for the SEAC are sprayed. Just Dk.Green. 
ZGWC5AF.jpg

Please feel free to ask questions, post comments or add thoughts. 

Dennis

PS - can someone advise me on Tempest load-outs ? Would drop tanks and two RP-3 per wing be ok or not ? 

• Like 5