1/100 Redstone missile [3D Printed]

This is a continuation of my little missile project started with a Jupiter missile in 1/100

While I am not done painting the Jupiter missile, I decided I wanted to start modelling Redstone. Why Redstone? Well, in most model missile collections it comes after Jupiter. As an added bonus, after I finish the missile, I will be able to modify it to make Jupiter-C and Explorer-I, and after that Mercury-Redstone.

To begin, I started with a rough shape. 

VSEvcmr.png

Next, I set to modelling the engine. Modelling any rocket engine is no simple task, but thankfully this model will be printed in 1/100 scale, so I can get away with omitting some details. 

WXOIusy.png

Notably, I found that there appeared to be two distinct version of this engine (which I believe is called the A6); one with two pipes running from the turbopump to the bottom of the engine bell, and one with only one pipe. I created both for future use.

SKXfxd0.png

You may also notice that I modelled holes in the injector plate in a rudimentary way and internal details of the liquid oxygen dome. As I would find out later, this was maybe no the best idea for 1/100.

Next, I made the fins, graphite vanes, and some of the internal ribbing. As of 1/5/22, this is where the model stands. 

lESpdJF.pngjjuqdT5.pnggi3Um5k.pngyNJO8QF.png

n9mR1kC.png

On a side note I was 3D printing some other projects and I decided to throw the engine in. As mentioned earlier, it was a tad smaller than I thought it would be. 

47iGvU0.jpg

Based on this, I'm probably going to have to simplify the engine so it prints as a a few parts instead of the 6 or so it is in now. What you see above are the bell and the turbopump. The liquid oxygen dome(which sits atop the engine) was so thin it barely printed. I think, however, I might also make a larger scale Redstone missile to allow for more detail some time in the future.

Thanks for stopping by, more work to come!

• Like 5

• 4 weeks later...

It's been a while, however progress has continued. Most of the changes have focused on two main items:

1. Simplifying the engine

2. Detailing the tail unit

For the first, the engine was combined to be far less parts resulting in just two parts;

OlIfScm.png

As for the tail section, rivets are about halfway done on the exterior and the bottom is mostly completed.

zQyU7Ez.pnghUONJRr.pngjSlEAUp.png

A short one, to be sure, but that's the progress so far. Up next is the rest of the rivets on the tail section, followed by the weld seams on the body, followed by even more rivets on the instrument section. Thanks for stopping by,

-Alex

• Like 5

34 minutes ago, TimT64 said:

That,s cool, whats your method for doing the rivet detail if you don,t mind me asking

I created one sphere the size of the rivets and then used rectangular patterns in the direction up the fin and a circular one around the tail section.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Another brief update! 

Since the last, I've slowly started to finish up the riveting, and added some more details all around the tail section. This one's taking a little longer than I expected! It's all for the better though, as the detail of this model is increasing enough that I think I may even print it in 1/72 and 1/48 as well. Speaking of which, below the renders lie a little test sample of the tail unit and engine in 1/72. ( Please pardon the red resin, I was using this test to also test out some Elegoo. the final model, of course, will be printed in Anycubic gray)

6ndflLQ.pngx79TO7y.pngs0AV5EY.png

And the red-shot prints!

HxEDS9t.jpg

( In person it doesn't look so wavy)

QXoHgjv.jpg

A slightly better image showing off some of the new rivet detail!

wtCiedU.jpg

A little shot of the inside, and a surprise extra.

785bhyA.jpg

And here's a bonus sample of my work-in-progress 1/35 M24 Chaffee engine( the text on the engine block is supposed to read Cadillac Motor);

zQSTI5Z.jpg

Thanks for tuning in!

• Like 4