NM-116 Light Tank Destroyer

Carius

After investing months and months dedicated to my GMC truck with Bofors project, I have now a great desire to build a tank, not just any tank, it couldn't be anything ordinary, but an unusual and attractive vehicle. So I chose the interesting Norwegian M24 Chafee upgraded tank, called NM-116 Light Tank Destroyer. it's also a tribute to my Norwegians modelers friends indeed.

An upgrade program began in the late-1960s, with the first prototype of what would be designated the ‘NM-116’ being unveiled in 1973. The vehicle would enter service under that designation in 1975. This new variant of the M24 would be used in an anti-tank role, leading it to be unofficially called the ‘Panserjager’ (armor hunter/armor chaser). It would serve the Norwegian Army well into the late 1990 (source, https://tanks-encyclopedia.com/coldwar-norway-nm-116-panserjager/).

NM-116 specifications (source, https://modellnorge.no):

–Dimensions and weight: Combat weight 18.300kg. Net weight with full tanks 17.00kg. Length (gun at 12 o’clock) 594cm. Length (gun at 6 o’clock) 532cm. With 282cm. Height (top of ’50 cal) 260cm.

–Performance: Max speed (speed limited to 47 KpH). Range (road) 300km.

–Engine: Detroit Diesel 6V53T 5063-5397. Two stroke water-cooled turbo charged. Displacement 5,3l. Power 191,2KW (260hp) at 2.800 RPM. Torque 725 Nm (75 kpm) at 2.000 RPM. Weight 600kg.

–Fuel capacity: 2 tanks total 208l.

–Cooling system: Behr Tune-Eureka A/S. 2 radiators and 2 hydraulic suction fans.

–Gearbox: Allison MT 650/653 5 speed and 1 reverse. Automatic.

–Turning gearbox: Norgear A/S.

–Tracks: 75 T 85 EI (US orginial) on each side, or 73 Dhiel at each side.

–Armament: Main gun French 90mm D/925. .50 cal coax. .50 cal for air defense on turret. 6 76mm smoke discharges with electric firing.

Ammo: 41 90mm rounds of different types. M62 HEAT, high explosive and other types. 1.500 rounds of .50 cal.

–Sight: NM128 (Simrad LV3) laser sight.

–Communication: AN/VRC44 (platoon commander) and RT-246NRC. AN/VRC64 (other tanks) and R-442NRC. Intercom ANNIC-1 (V), AM1780NRC, control box C-2298NRC, C-2296NRC, C-2296NRC.

0O8utPC.jpg

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

The following photo shows the tank number 12, one of the versions in the kit:

spacer.png

For this project I will use the NM-116 kit from AFV CLUB, code 35S82 (the only one available on the market), and I will added a set of photo-etched from Voyager Model, code PE 35620.

VlU2Pci.jpg

Let's go :work:...just a little start for now:

EIdYki7.jpg

More news soon as possible folks...

Edited by Carius
  • Like 21

I thank the interest of all of you folks, so a cant do a bad job :banghead::lol:

14 hours ago, PlaStix said:

Hi Cesar. Happy New Year. Interesting looking project. I will be interested in following your progress. :popcorn:

Kind regards, 

Stix

Many thanks Stix

Happy New Year

Cesar

10 hours ago, Lazy Modeller said:

I like pretty much the color scheme of that one with the number 13! I think it will do  a beautiful finish.

Cheers

LM

Hi LM, I agree with you, but no decals for this version

Cheers

7 hours ago, Bullbasket said:

It'll be interesting to see how this one goes. I've got the British Army version of this kit. Good luck with the build Cesar.

John.

Hi my friend, thanks luck will be important too 🍀

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Carius said:

Hi LM, I agree with you, but no decals for this version

Who needs decals? At least in front is pretty basic, you can paint them or make some stencils with masking tape. For the numbers you can use some dry decals if you cant do it...

I think that scheme must give a nice build...just my 5 cents of course...

Cheers

LM

PS: I'm referring the tank in the 5 photo.

I understand your point of view LM and I agree with you again, but as you know each vehicle has its own identification plate and I didn't find the license plate of the vehicle number 13 (3 photo).

Cheers

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Carius said:

I understand your point of view LM and I agree with you again, but as you know each vehicle has its own identification plate and I didn't find the license plate of the vehicle number 13 (3 photo).

Cheers

To bad, because the color is lovely...well that's life!

Cheers

LM

A little progress,

The suspension arms are movable and therefore there are no attachment points. This means one has to be careful when assembling the entire tank suspension, so I decided to ignore the build sequence shown in the instructions. and start this step in another way, which actually ensured the precise alignment of all arms at the same height, no doubt a correct decision. The wheels I left for the last moment.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Edited by Carius
  • Like 12

OK, so I didn't get as far as the suspension with my Chaffee, before it ended up as a shelf queen, so I'm not sure what I'm looking at here. Are those brass tubes, and do they have springs in them to allow the suspension to work?

John. 

• Like 1

Hi john, no springs inside, so the suspension doesn't work. The only option is to choose the height of the arms to adjust them to the ground, in my case, a flat floor.

Cesar

Edited by Carius
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Except by the wheels, assembly steps 1 to 9 are almost complete. At this point I will skip the steps 10 to 15 to start the turret assembly (step 16 onwards).

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Edited by Carius
  • Like 13

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Hi folks,

One of my faults is not working with just one project. In the meantime I was having fun and building a Italeri/Tamiya italian P40 heavy tank, but this is an another story. Well, now I proceed with the construction and detailing of the turret tank. The plastic smoke-grenade launchers in the kit are too small, but the smoke launchers provided by voyager are excellent and solved the problem. Gradually the turret takes shape.

ataGb1V.jpg

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 10

I have the British version of this kit, so am looking forward to seeing you perform your magic on this one Cesar.

George

• Like 1

I appreciate the trust in my work George. Thanks a lot.

The suspension alignment is not very simple, a bit problematic I think. So, go slowly and carefully on this part when building your Chaffee George.

Cheers from Brazil

• Like 1