PK-129 Armstrong Whitworth Meteor (Matchbox 1:72)

Quick update as she's ready for some primer. I've decided to leave the tailplane off at present just in case she needs more filling and sanding; this might get in the way so will be installed later.

921bbJ%5D

• Like 8

So after the primer, the only major joint imperfections were the nose and upper back-end of the fuselage but as you can see, they've been rubbed back ready for a tad more filler (which is also required in some other minor areas).

Oh, and the 'cockpit' join but I'm not sure whether to live with that :whistle: I'll see what the day brings !!

9C87hF%5D

TGF8L1%5D

• Like 8

2 hours ago, PeterB said:

Not at all bad though as mentioned that cockpit join can be a pain.

Pete

You weren't wrong about that join and I couldn't let it go. I had another round of filler and this is as good as it's going to get. Next is the tailplane followed by the top coats (after the primer has been left a day or two).

5t8482%5D

• Like 9

On 09/01/2022 at 23:26, wimbledon99 said:

Mostly coarse and it tends mainly to be carp due to the local venues. I still have sea and fly gear but not used either for a fair few years now. 

I've never done coarse fishing but I do a bit of lure fishing on the sea and am (slowly!) learning the art of the dry fly after inheriting my grandpa's trout gear.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Rabbit Leader said:

That’s really looking very smooth all wrapped up in primer. It’s been an effort, however all very rewarding. 
Cheers.. Dave 

Thanks Dave - Almost too smooth!! I won't be scribing any lines but hopefully the camo and black nose will break it up nicely 🤞

2 hours ago, jackroadkill said:

I've never done coarse fishing but I do a bit of lure fishing on the sea and am (slowly!) learning the art of the dry fly after inheriting my grandpa's trout gear.

Wait until you catch your first trout off the top with a self-tied fly. Magic!! :fish:

2 hours ago, jackroadkill said:

This is looking great; I just wish mine was this far along.  Currently it's under the 347th application of filler.

Many thanks - I used the Deluxe Perfect Plastic Putty for the first time; it's amazing stuff. :happy:

• Like 3

1 hour ago, wimbledon99 said:

Many thanks - I used the Deluxe Perfect Plastic Putty for the first time; it's amazing stuff. :happy:

Yes it is good for small gaps etc, providing you do not try rubbing it of with a wet finger/cloth - just very slightly damp one after first rubbing it in with a dry finger/thumb seems to work for me, otherwise it just dissolves out. However for the gaps on this kit I used standard Humbrol filler the first two or three times before sanding, just using PPP for the final layer as it is not too good on large gaps/steps. Anyway, that is a very smooth finish you managed.

Pete

Edited by PeterB
  • Like 1

Right, I have some colour on her but I noticed some 'crackling' again overnight when using Vallejo over the Mr Colour. I tend to have that a fair bit, no matter how long I leave the base coat to dry. Not sure if it's older top paint or just some weird reaction. Both are acrylic but might be due to the way they are made??

No matter, I'll probably put a very light wash over the whole thing prior to any gloss / decals so it may help with the weathering :think:

Anyhow, here's how she currently looks

78JsDf%5D

• Like 9

Oh wow, that is one of the best results for this kit I have seen, you have done wonders with the joints, especially around the cockpit. Fabulous! It is looking good in colour now.

Cheers, Ray

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Ray S said:

Oh wow, that is one of the best results for this kit I have seen, you have done wonders with the joints, especially around the cockpit. Fabulous! It is looking good in colour now.

Cheers, Ray

Thanks Ray, You're very kind :blush: There are a couple of other builds of this kit in the GB that I think you'll be saying the same thing to in the coming days  :wink:

10 hours ago, stevej60 said:

Looking great Nigel,lovely smooth finish.

Thanks Steve. I think I have a new favourite filler! What an exciting life I lead :laugh:

I applied the decals today and came across a 'first'. Due to the age of the decals I had to clean off some glue / cover sheet residue meaning that it was clean water for almost every decal as it left this behind...........

26TF9b%5D

.......and under each decal was a yellow 'gloop'..................

4kq8cA%5D

..........hence every decal was rinsed in MicroSet to avoid the yellow appearance. However, once applied they stuck like a certain something to a blanket!!

Here she is with a top coat of drying gloss.

TVoF5g%5D

• Like 4

I'm calling this one done now. Thank you to all who kept me company the last couple of week - Really appreciated!!

To Pat and Dave ( @JOCKNEY @Rabbit Leader ), Thanks for being great hosts in what is such a fun (and popular) GB. Mojo restored! :happy:

Cheers

Nigel

5h4Bk0%5D

maiws2%5D

26CEac%5D

y74655%5D

• Like 14

Love it Nigel, that’s a gob smacking beautiful Meteor and you’ve done a quick and marvellous job getting this excellent Matchbox kit finished. The last I looked at this thread you had just primed it, so very excited to see it now all decalled and wonderfully 

photographed. 

Thanks so much for taking part and glad to hear the mojo is back where it belongs. 
Cheers and very well modelled.. Dave 

• Like 1

Congratulations Nigel

Your Meteor is an absolute credit to you, with the standard of craftsmanship on show here and the speed you have completed it in, its difficult to believe your mojo was ever anything less than 110%.

Take a bow mate you've earned it 

:partytime:

Cheers Pat

• Like 2

Thank you Pat. You and Dave are both very kind :happy: I’ve thoroughly enjoyed this one so getting back into it was a real pleasure. I’m off to the ‘Bomber’ GB next but will continue to drop in on this one over the coming weeks. Cheers!!

• Like 2

That is a fabulous build, and you have done it proud!

Thanks too for the tips about how you got rid of the gloopy-glue on those transfers because I have had that happen with some Modeldecal transfers for EE Lightnings, now I know how to deal with them.

Once again, what a great build!

Ray

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Ozzy said:

Cracking build Nigel, hopefully your mojos back for some more builds in 2022.

Thanks Ozzy!! It most certainly is. I', starting a 'Dambuster' next week for the 'Bomber' GB :happy:

10 hours ago, Ray S said:

That is a fabulous build, and you have done it proud!

Thanks too for the tips about how you got rid of the gloopy-glue on those transfers because I have had that happen with some Modeldecal transfers for EE Lightnings, now I know how to deal with them.

Once again, what a great build!

Ray

You're very kind Ray - Thank you. Glad the decal info is of use. I've picked up enough tips from the site so it's nice to be able to share one for a change :smile:

• Like 2

2 hours ago, bigbadbadge said:

A cracking Meteor,  this looks lovely,  great work , looks like you had a bit of a fight what with hhe paint crazing and decals.  

This is a beauty. 

Chris

Thank you Chris :happy: I did indeed have a couple of challenges but I’m hoping I might now know the reason for the crazing. I need to test on some old plastic but I think it could be due to too much coverage, too quickly, with the top coat. I’m going to see what a few lighter coats result in 🤞

• Like 1