PK-129 Armstrong Whitworth Meteor (Matchbox 1:72)

Hi All,

I've just purchased this one to kick 2022 off to a start and get my modelling mojo back into shape. Pictures to follow once the postman delivers her safely :wink:

Cheers

Nigel

• Like 6

Great to see this WIP Nigel, many of us probably wouldn’t call Matchbox’s Meteor a ‘Mojo rejuvenator,’, however once you get going I’m sure it’ll all fall into place quite nicely for you. Pat and I will keep a distant eye on you should you need a quiet little nudge (if required).

Cheers, welcome aboard and best of luck.. Dave 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, stevej60 said:

Nice one Nigel,mine arrived today as I stated not as l frightening as when I first clapped eyes on it back in the eighties but it's

early days.

Hi Steve, Hope you're good. Let's hope so; it's supposed to help the mojo :wink:

11 minutes ago, Wulfman said:

Don’t forget to stock up with filler, plenty needed around the cockpit !

Wulfman

I have a sealant gun and a tube of decorating caulk at the ready 👷‍♂️

• Haha 2

I bought the "Xtrakit" reboxing from Hannants a couple of years ago. Don't know if the decs were original Matchbox but they disintegrated so Hannants kindly sent me some spares. They were nearly as bad but being forewarned I coated them with either varnish or Liquid Decal Film and just about managed to get them on. I think I still had to used stock black stripes for some of the walkways though. I probably have some spares if anybody wants them.

Pete

• Like 1

Just been having a look at this and these seats do make me chuckle

ng86e1%5D

I've therefore decided to use the seat that came as an 'extra' and complete the model with an open canopy. This will hopefully help to improve things (mock up below)

gaUt16%5D

• Like 6

The nightfighter Meteors didn't have ejection seats fitted, so best to save that for another project and use the kit bucket seats. Paint it all black and not much is seen anyway.

Also if your making an NF.14, use the shorter nose for the NF.12 in the box, as the -14 nose is the wrong length. The NF.12 & NF.14 had the same length nose.

Good luck with the build, its a nice kit.  

Colin     

Edited by Colin @ Freightdog Models
Spelling
  • Like 4

12 hours ago, bigbadbadge said:

This is quite a nice kit, I did the Xtrakit boxing and was very leased with it.  What a bonus to get the Aeroclub seats with it.

Good luck with your build. 

Chris

Thank Chris, Looks fairly straight forward but time will tell!

7 hours ago, Colin @ Freightdog Models said:

The nightfighter Meteors didn't have ejection seats fitted, so best to save that for another project and use the kit bucket seats. Paint it all black and not much is seen anyway.

Also if your making an NF.14, use the shorter nose for the NF.12 in the box, as the -14 nose is the wrong length. The NF.12 & NF.14 had the same length nose.

Good luck with the build, its a nice kit.  

Colin     

Thanks for the info, Colin. Interesting re. the seats; I may go with your suggestion and close the lid instead of leaving it open.

Re. the nose - I'm still drawn to the longer nose only because it's a 'Matchbox' GB and it's what the box looks like :wink: I'll have a think about this one :think: 

Cheers

Nigel

• Like 2

3 hours ago, wimbledon99 said:

Thanks for the info, Colin. Interesting re. the seats;

Would you expect the Belgian version to have the kit style seats Nigel? That's the version I'm  Going for.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, stevej60 said:

Would you expect the Belgian version to have the kit style seats Nigel? That's the version I'm  Going for.

Hi Steve, I'm not sure if I'm honest. I'm going with option 'A' (NF14 Bubble Canopy) and have taken Colin's advice. Here's what I have after working on her this morning.

I'll drop in on you and the other Meteor builds later today (have to pop out for the afternoon).

y4tSEb%5D

E85L32%5D

Cheers

Nigel

• Like 9

1 hour ago, stevej60 said:

Good question Steve.

I seem to remember reading that at least some of the export versions of the Meteor had ejector seats fitted, but I could well be wrong. I am sure somebody will know.

Pete

• Like 1

Glad to see you've made a good start, Nigel.  I'm really enjoying my build of this kit even though there's a lot of sanding involved.  I hope you get the same enjoyment from yours.  By the way, I also love fishing and F1!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, jackroadkill said:

Glad to see you've made a good start, Nigel.  I'm really enjoying my build of this kit even though there's a lot of sanding involved.  I hope you get the same enjoyment from yours.  By the way, I also love fishing and F1!

Good choices!! I won’t ask if you’re in the Max or Lewis corner. I’ve added it to Politics and Religion 🙊 😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, wimbledon99 said:

Good choices!! I won’t ask if you’re in the Max or Lewis corner. I’ve added it to Politics and Religion 🙊 😉

Maybe one step down from F1 politics then; coarse, sea or game fishing?!

• Like 1

Excellent choice. This one really does bring back some memories for me as it involved a few firsts - bought on my first visit to the Nationals at Stoneleigh, first aftermarket conversion (Aeroclub FR.9 conversion), and would have been one of the first times I used aftermarket decals as well (Modeldecal in this case). Happy days!

• Like 1

11 hours ago, stevej60 said:

None of the front line night fighter variants had ejection seats; there may have been some test and development examples that had them but none that spring readily to mind at this time of night.

• Like 2

That’s nice quick progress @wimbledon99 and the overall sanding and filling looks very neat. I see you’ve opted for the longest noise parts as per Matchbox suggestions, which probably looks even more over exaggerated in that head on shot. Looking good. 
Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 1