72nd F-15J Hasegawa "Straight from the Box"

Needing a kit to have fun with and hopefully minimum fuss. Trying to keep it in the spirit of building of just the kit supplied parts. Oh how easy it is to start browsing the web shops and fill your cart up with resin and etching. Most of my early modelling was a box build and even kit decals. A community friend gifted the kit to start and it was a boxing I did not recognize but the old reliable Hasegawa re-tooled F-15 was inside. No I couldn't hold back and found the Platz White Dragon release of 303 squadron's F-15J, a beautiful sheet printed by Cartograf.

y9VLtHj.jpg?1

Does anyone think this looks like me!?!?!

6jMGsS0.jpg?1

The Platz sheet, still available by searching on Japanese web-stores.

Fi5IKRa.jpg?1

The wing join seams were filled with stretched sprue but still required some Tamiya White Filling Putty.

o2Il80m.jpg?1

The vertical tail join line needed fill too.

WGQobTc.jpg?1

Actually a decent cockpit representation is provided but all references I could see showed the aft bay behind the seat was finished in white not the Metallic Blue-Green as instructed.

CqRY36w.jpg?1

The exhaust is 5 segments and maybe the biggest challenge is getting a proper looking circle of that opening as it is all glued. Patience and a cardboard circle template works using an Olfa circle cutter.

xVs3Obx.jpg?1

H8l1q3R.jpg?1

Four external fuel tanks are included and I will be installing only the center tank. After a disappointing result with the first tank, I started a second tank, removed the locating pins and tried to be as careful as possible in alignment to prevent a large flat spot on the join line. Still a noticeable flat spot, I taped off the area and applied a liberal amount of the Tamiya White Putty, sanded and it seemed to look much better.

b1WeTXy.jpg?1

Canopy was dipped in Pledge floor wax today so I will let it sit several days before masking and painting.

qEQtZdo.jpg?3

Painting should only be a few days away and I have both the Light and Dark Ghost Gray in Mr Color and Tamiya Lacquer.

Thank you for looking in, any comments welcome.

Craig

• Like 8

After comparing the Mr Color and Tamiya paints I've gone with Mr Color, laying down the darker Ghost Gray first, masking, later today the lighter Gray. Fiddling with rolled up bits of tape did nothing for my patience and I've resorted to my Masking Gum which is starting to get a bit thick. The masks are solidly in place and with hold up well to the airbrush pressure.

ik30UfK.jpg?1

U4lhSWU.jpg?1

qikPElQ.jpg?1

gCq3yKK.jpg?1

EZESGFE.jpg?1

• Like 7

27 minutes ago, Vultures1 said:

Coming along very nicely Craig!

Thank you Vultures1.

The masking went well, but I need to go back and touch up the inside of both vertical tails. The radome on the actual aircraft looks to be the lighter grey rather than the darker grey as instructions show.

oTBH2ei.jpg?1

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, billn53 said:

"Drawing gum". Very interesting, if it works well for you then I think I'll have to give it a try.

I found it best to make sure you locate the mask exactly where you want it, as moving it too much around once it starts to set will mess things up. But once it's dry and you remove it after painting, it comes off clean. It kept the mask off the surface 1/8'' to 1/4", making the feathered edge quiet acceptable.

Here is a look so far, will do some touch-ups tomorrow.

l0vfSOI.jpg?1

• Like 5

All rested up and ready to decal. I photocopied the decal sheet and cut out the two dragon pieces and study the best placement for them. Not bad but just slightly off in my opinion.

xD7SPrX.jpg

NsU0ncz.jpg

HESKSn2.jpg

v7XNMCN.jpg

csY4F2K.jpg

6WKNa46.jpg

h2HopXb.jpg

Another couple of days to finish off the data/stencils.

Thanks for checking in.

• Like 7

• 3 weeks later...

Small setback for the completion. Some of the decal for the canopy framing lifted. Since it was dipped in clear coat, I am stripping the canopy and going about repainting the framework instead of the using the reddish brown decal provided.

Thank you for checking.

• 3 weeks later...

That looks er... Awesome!  :goodjob:

Love the dragon! :D

On 1/4/2022 at 8:44 PM, baldwin8 said:

all references I could see showed the aft bay behind the seat was finished in white not the Metallic Blue-Green as instructed.

The early F-15s bays were metallic blue-green, pre 79 I think. I really liked the colour, bought some and wanted to use it, but all the F-15s I'm planning the build (F-15 GB later in the year) are later and have white bays.

Cheers,

• Like 1