Miniart SLA APC T-54 with Dozer Blade - 37028 Full Interior. ***FINISHED***

Those floaty things aren't cheap!!!! I have a very slight urge to do the old Airfix Vosper MTB as i did it as a kid.

The T-54 is looking great btw.

George

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 31/07/2022 at 07:56, Geo1966 said:

Those floaty things aren't cheap!!!! I have a very slight urge to do the old Airfix Vosper MTB as i did it as a kid.

The T-54 is looking great btw.

George

I know George, that may be my first and last boat, depends how I get on🙂. But that's for next year, too many armoured stuff to do before that

all the best 

Ed

• Like 1

Hello everyone, another quick update. not had much time lately to do much. So since the last update, I started on the weathering process. I first used black oil paint in the corners and shadow areas, then used burnt umber for the lighter shadows and general dirt. I added some chipping using sponge and Ammo's shadow rust colour, then added a few scratches etc. The overall finish will have a slightly sandy dusty colour which I will apply over the top of the APC but I will need to do this when I do the same on the Dozer blade so that everything matches. I applied some of the dusting to the road wheels for now and will finish off later. Here's some photo's

y4mzUAyjKyWs95sT7-OaHs8TAz9EDwojOJvXvpEC

y4ma_-gQ-9-Mda5u7UTp1wGsPdNUBOQee1I_Mez5

y4meWwzjDHYVgmNPWZZOaf93DjsqFKA7TfTEugUg

y4m1jvN99fY3ba1FDHh_qTgeQzWtO3NRHOuaQP1V

Possibly need to do a bit more chipping around the mud guard area, I'll do that later when I start finishing everything off.

That's all I'm going to do now for the APC, I need to start work on the Dozer blade. I'm going to prime that a rust colour then use hairspray and then apply Tamyia's red paint and then start the chipping process. 

That's all for now, thanks for looking in

Ed

• Like 17

On 08/08/2022 at 12:36, edjbartos said:

Hello everyone, another quick update. not had much time lately to do much. So since the last update, I started on the weathering process. I first used black oil paint in the corners and shadow areas, then used burnt umber for the lighter shadows and general dirt. I added some chipping using sponge and Ammo's shadow rust colour, then added a few scratches etc. The overall finish will have a slightly sandy dusty colour which I will apply over the top of the APC but I will need to do this when I do the same on the Dozer blade so that everything matches. I applied some of the dusting to the road wheels for now and will finish off later. Here's some photo's

y4mzUAyjKyWs95sT7-OaHs8TAz9EDwojOJvXvpEC

y4ma_-gQ-9-Mda5u7UTp1wGsPdNUBOQee1I_Mez5

y4meWwzjDHYVgmNPWZZOaf93DjsqFKA7TfTEugUg

y4m1jvN99fY3ba1FDHh_qTgeQzWtO3NRHOuaQP1V

Possibly need to do a bit more chipping around the mud guard area, I'll do that later when I start finishing everything off.

That's all I'm going to do now for the APC, I need to start work on the Dozer blade. I'm going to prime that a rust colour then use hairspray and then apply Tamyia's red paint and then start the chipping process. 

That's all for now, thanks for looking in

Ed

Without question you are on the way to a fantastic model 👍👍👍

MD

• Thanks 1

Brilliant Ed, upto your usual super high standard. 

The faded pale blue grey looks great add to that the chipping, staining and general grubbiness, just superb! :like:

Cheers

Darryl 

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Cerberus said:

I think it looks awesome Ed, and it's gonna look even better with that dozer blade on the front :thumbsup:

Matt

8 hours ago, Jasper dog said:

Brilliant Ed, upto your usual super high standard. 

The faded pale blue grey looks great add to that the chipping, staining and general grubbiness, just superb! :like:

Cheers

Darryl 

7 hours ago, Phil1960 said:

Superlative weathering process! Realistic SLA blue is not a easy task👍👍
Ciao Filippo

Many thanks chaps, appreciate you looking in and commenting. I'm just trying to work out the best way of painting the dozer. Just trying several test pieces to see which is the best way to go. The weather is not helping at the moment as everything is drying so fast.

all the best

Ed

Hi everyone, another update to this model. I started to work on the Dozer blade, the aim was to use the hairspray technique so that I could simulate scratches on the blade that would have been made after moving material around. I did some test pieces to find the best way to try this out. So to start, I decided to prime with Mig One Shot Brown Oxide primer. I added a few streaks of a darker brown just to give some variation in the colour...

y4mdQod_3tkCqBj4YLUfx4n4M2SJD5rhOQkNe_eB

I then added some streaks to the bottom surfaces of the blade using Mig Polished Metal using a cheap stiff flat nylon brush and dry brushing the streaks on...

y4mSqpR-5VMAvt8qA0WoUU-_CBqO-LXajIr5RW_d

I gave two coats of hairspray, then once dry I added a coat of Tamiya Matt Red paint. I added a drop of white paint to the mix as the red paint, not being truly opaque would have come out a lot darker due to the brown paint underneath, adding a touch of white helped this out. I didn't take into account the heat of the day and the paint dried a bit quicker than I would have liked, so it was a lot harder to get the paint off after applying water. Not quite the finish that I hoped to have gotten compared to my test pieces, but good enough...

y4mCkKmEAy8wkF9hSFSulKjEUK02PFM-cpunqfLC

I then went onto my favourite oil paints and added a small amount of yellow ochre to white and mixed with odourless thinner and applied this like a pin wash to all the corners and recesses of the blade. Once dry I just moistened a small brush and took the excess away. Finally I added a touch of dry pigment into areas to smooth everything off. Will need to do a bit more later on to finish off I think...

A few photo's of the Dozer Blade...

y4meywrmsQZTx_nsWvjqYy8lSDvdwNUultRGC_YU

y4m5bpKQ2HD9drBlG8MU4LLbnV59Lo5yTT_2mU_h

y4mYCGFMTUfWlEMTKIHNaXpY3urFJ_d2ukQgtpYx

y4mHRb9iKRmK0Yk5M-wTUH4SwP4gEdvP76Bo9o9_

y4m9z5aIzMvRGiQSpXVxIsGBUNRulLvfPTavI7_T

Meanwhile, I decided to look at the tracks, I dipped these into a solution of AK Burnishing fluid for about 25 minutes and then rinsed off with water and left to dry. It's actually come out quite a nice colour, I don't think there is a lot more that needs doing to it other than a dust coloured wash. I had to paint all the connecting pins as they are resin so obviously remained the grey colour after burnishing...

y4mk04Cw-olCyI12wYDDbs4lwdGx2IEjZ8z_fcFm

So now I will at some point start to get onto the little bits and pieces, storage boxes, tools machine guns etc. Time is going to be very limited now for the next couple of weeks so will update when I have more to show...

as always, thanks for looking in

all the best

Ed

• Like 11

Very nice. I liked the dozer blade step by step description. Adding white to make a paint more opaque is new to me. Sounds handy. (How do you make white more opaque?)

I think the pigment looks a bit heavy and unnaturally even at the moment, but I think that's what you meant when you spoke of doing a bit more later.

The tracks are terrific!

• Thanks 1

"  Adding white to make a paint more opaque is new to me. Sounds handy. (How do you make white more opaque?)   "

Thanks Bertie, what I probably meant to say was that when I used the red paint on its own, painted over the brown primer it came out quite dark as the darkness of the brown shows slightly through the red. By adding white to the red I lightened the colour somewhat to counter it so the overall colour ended up not so dark, if you know what I mean. Yes, also I will need to add more weathering and pigments to areas later on as a last stage when finishing everything off.

thanks for looking in and commenting

Ed

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Bertie McBoatface said:

I think the pigment looks a bit heavy and unnaturally even at the moment, but I think that's what you meant when you spoke of doing a bit more late

I think you are right Bertie, thanks for pointing that out, lucky with oils it's easy to adjust later on. I've taken some off and I think It looks a lot better... (also over done the pigments a bit I think !)

y4mc96HVSb6e5o78zCG1dnLd2UrLH4dAcoz-Htri

all the best

Ed

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Jasper dog said:

Looking good Ed, nice worn used finish. 

That's the beauty of metal tracks, burnish and done, excellent. 

Great work

Darryl 

Thank you Darryl, that's much appreciated...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bertie McBoatface said:

Ed, do you think that burnishing solution would work on copper? I will be copper plating the bottom of a ship soon and I want to oxidise the metal to age it. Would you mind dipping a piece of copper wire into it and telling me what happens?

Just tried it for the past hour, no change in colour...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

Hello folks, hope everyone is well, It's been a little while since I last posted, first I have been away on holiday and now I'm decorating 🙄, so trying to get some work done on this model as time permits. So since last update I have added a dust wash to the tracks using Lifecolors Rain and dust. Using a sponge I just applied in areas around the tracks just to change the colour slightly, then I applied white and yellow ochre oil paint to finish off....

y4mRb0GNjgzNG85sVqhWNt0bUaOwUwjNTTqWpvu_

A little view from the front with the tracks now in position....

y4mrRVNdEB46ajaaJqG2p23Kwy6JUTm_WuC7hV4p

I have painted and added tools and storage boxes...

y4mwHGoilstFfTLPDaHdMN8yPPzXeC5arNHfxZkE

I have added the engine hatch covers and decided to leave them in the open position, so you can have a little look at the engine...

y4mQGb-5izhEZ5dxlMllhx0_wIirtAF-EfFlW7ZT

Finally I have added the two machine guns, I have roughed them up a bit to match the rest of the model...

y4mld__appMkaYYv_M5ApWC-zGoexe9OCejv_b2q

So next up is to finish off with some detail painting, some more overall dusting etc and that should be done, so the next update will hopefully be the finished model..

See you soon when I have finished and as always thanks for looking in..

all the best 

Ed

• Like 11

It's been useful for me that you haven't posted for a while. I'd gotten so used to seeing this that I had started to take it for granted, but today I'm seeing it with refreshed eyes. 

It's very good. Really really special. As you know, you already inspired me to buy one of the kits, and this almost finished version makes me look forward very much to building it in next year's ( 🤞 ) Entropy GB.

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Bertie McBoatface said:

It's been useful for me that you haven't posted for a while. I'd gotten so used to seeing this that I had started to take it for granted, but today I'm seeing it with refreshed eyes. 

It's very good. Really really special. As you know, you already inspired me to buy one of the kits, and this almost finished version makes me look forward very much to building it in next year's ( 🤞 ) Entropy GB.

Many thanks for the kind words Bertie, that's very much appreciated...

Ed

Just been catching up with the progress on this build which I'd missed because of my Blighty trip. Ed, you've done a stunning job on this, and it's one that you should be proud of. The weathering on the vehicle itself is first rate, as is the dozer blade. They're going to look excellent when they come together. Great work.

John.

• Thanks 1

Wonderful modelling Ed, your precision and detail paintwork is absolutely first rate.

Everything from the paint worn to the bare metal to the tools, the storage case , the interior and engine all just spot on.

Superb modelling 

Darryl 

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Model Mate said:

That really is a thing of beauty - wonderful.

6 hours ago, Bullbasket said:

Just been catching up with the progress on this build which I'd missed because of my Blighty trip. Ed, you've done a stunning job on this, and it's one that you should be proud of. The weathering on the vehicle itself is first rate, as is the dozer blade. They're going to look excellent when they come together. Great work.

John.

2 hours ago, Jasper dog said:

Wonderful modelling Ed, your precision and detail paintwork is absolutely first rate.

Everything from the paint worn to the bare metal to the tools, the storage case , the interior and engine all just spot on.

Superb modelling 

Darryl 

Thank you so much chaps, I really appreciate your kind comments...

all the best

Ed

• Like 2