Miniart SLA APC T-54 with Dozer Blade - 37028 Full Interior. ***FINISHED***

54 minutes ago, Jasper dog said:

Is it just me or do you appear to be really cracking through this build. :thumbsup:

More lovely pe work too, isn't that a .50 cal up front rather than a NSV?

(I'm no expert in any way and happy to be corrected btw!)

Looking good!

Thanks Darryl, you’re  right it does seem to be going quicker than normal, not sure why, maybe I’m just getting used to the way they build up and learned from previous mistakes. Regarding the gun you may very well be correct, I just assumed it was an NSV...

really appreciate you looking in and commenting

all the best

Ed

46 minutes ago, Bertie Psmith said:

Your PE is so tidy! (I’m glad to hear that it’s not always compulsory though!)

The model looks more fascinating every time I call in. 

Thanks Bertie, it’s been a really nice model to make, you’ll enjoy yours when you get to it. Just got to do the tracks now then get onto the dozer blade which should be interesting..

all the best

Ed

29 minutes ago, edjbartos said:

you’ll enjoy yours when you get to it

There's one thing that will help me with that (and I'm not just saying this to flatter you), I don't have any sense of wanting to compete with your build. Mine will be considerably less tidy! 🤪

• Haha 1

Excellent detail work Ed, especially the MG shrouds. I'm assuming that they come as a flat piece, and that you have to roll it. Not something that I'v done before......or likely to.

John.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Bullbasket said:

Excellent detail work Ed, especially the MG shrouds. I'm assuming that they come as a flat piece, and that you have to roll it. Not something that I'v done before......or likely to.

John.

Thanks John, the shrouds did indeed come as a flat piece PE, I just used a selection of drills and pressed against some high density foam until the correct form was made. It was actually easier than I thought it would be, I was quite surprised...

all the best

Ed

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, edjbartos said:

Thanks John, the shrouds did indeed come as a flat piece PE, I just used a selection of drills and pressed against some high density foam until the correct form was made. It was actually easier than I thought it would be, I was quite surprised...

all the best

Ed

Thanks Ed. And one other thing that I meant to ask. Did you solder the joint?

John.

Just now, Bullbasket said:

Thanks Ed. And one other thing that I meant to ask. Did you solder the joint?

John.

Now come on John, I’m not that brave 🤣 The joins are right at the bottom and quite tight. I didn’t want to push my luck...

Ed

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

• 4 months later...

Hi there folks, It's been a while since I last updated this build, 5 months ago in fact. I have been busy with the M3/M4 group build which was great fun to do.

So having to remind myself where I got to since last update. I finished assembling the MasterClub tracks which were nice to build. A photo showing the tracks and a little sub assembly showing the round headed resin pins. I added a touch of CA just underneath the heads to stop them coming away later on....

y4mFV6XlwG8k_KuKfEkArZsa9E-bPL2MA0ftJe14

Here are a few photo's showing the tracks in position, that's really the basic work on the APC done now....

y4m4qFTrGu3DUU2FAwI0oN-pS-lwoJ92augGXizq

y4mqyDj1VzuUTSLXzvMPVxedOr-562sJ7DmAEwHl

y4mOHpjPaAfZldXrUXkZ1HUe48BuNr1IN78OGfTz

y4mG2WW1gJx4laMU5CULhw8qwa_Dzxpj5_brqmMF

I then started to assemble the Dozer blade. This is a model in itself, really quite a lot of parts and assembly to do....

y4mMbleZJjXS-1GNfQppgwmQ7y9jsyZ9upkVuNAu

y4mszCIoFMSPjqzv2eTM6XbyyCWjdFvTDj9EwqhF

y4m1qpnpwZUpoP4GikhS8l3AnKTwJUUYvlILVipG

y4mcEg5RVKmpkcu15CfIZhQJi6piy1h-KpmgYwuf

A few photo's with the Dozer blade fitted to the APC.....

y4mJSTtvZTurtGEKI3Bk-As_AEW2Bdt_OayCua4u

y4mPv3PHbKFBkmlr8ycWBm1DmBvClwF1_CxzvJ-b

Next up is to start disassembling everything and masking off and start adding the primer. I bought some AK Real colours for the blue/grey SLA paint, I just need to work out the right mix and how best to do the chipping and weathering etc.

I'll be back when I have more to show...

All the best and thanks for looking in

Ed

• Like 11

This has been a very interesting build, but seeing it all assembled, it looks great. I like the look of those tracks. They seem to be very similar to Fruilmodel. Nice work Ed.

John.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Geo1966 said:

Thats looking great Ed. Looking forward to seeing it Blue!

George

Thank you George, I'm looking forward to painting it blue as well, it will be a bit different to the norm

5 hours ago, Bullbasket said:

This has been a very interesting build, but seeing it all assembled, it looks great. I like the look of those tracks. They seem to be very similar to Fruilmodel. Nice work Ed.

John.

Thanks John, I have to say it definitely has been an interesting build, very different from other Miniart kit's that I have done. The tracks from Masterclub are great and easy to do, the resin pins work well but you do need a bit of CA under the head before pressing home. Also when the tracks are burnished the pins remain the same grey colour but a bit of paint on them sorts them all out. Unfortunately I can't compare to Fruils as I've never done any to compare, In fact this is only the second time that I have done metal tracks.

all the best both of you , thanks for looking in and commenting

Ed

• Like 2

2 hours ago, StuartH said:

Cracking work on this. I love the detail on the dozer blade and it should look epic once painted 👍

Look forward to seeing more 👏

1 hour ago, Model Mate said:

Welcome back! And at a great stage - looking forward to seeing what you do with the paint job.

Thank you both for your kind words, I'm really pleased with the way the build has progressed. Now I'm looking forward to the painting, especially the weathering on the dozer blade...

Ed       

• Like 1

Hi everyone, an update on my SLA dozer.  I have finally got onto the painting stage. After priming using Mig one shot grey primer I started to look at painting the SLA blue colour. This was when I encountered problems. The plan was to mix AK Real colours RC017 Pale blue and AK RC021 Pale grey. The paint is very thick which needs to be thinned, I didn't want to use their own thinner as it does smell a lot. I thought I could get away with Tamiya X-20A. At first it thinned ok and I could spray for a while, but then the air brush started to clog up and in no time the paint in the cup went very thick. It totally bunged everything up.

In the end I had to strip the airbrush down, I use an Iwata HP-CS airbrush and the nozzle was totally blocked, I could not wash it out or scrape out with a fine brush, the only way to get rid of the blockage was to give the nozzle a couple of sprays of liquid reamer. Which did the trick in the end. So I went back onto acrylics and  went through the paints that I have and started doing mixes to see If I could get close to the AK mix. I eventually found a mix that came really close. For my reference and If any one wants to know what I have used, Vallejo 71.108 Azure blue, 2 parts , Mig-0210 Grey blue, one part and Mig-224 Skyline blue, one part and then mixed with  4 parts thinner to give a nice free flowing mixture. Once dry I then  mixed the same base mix but added white paint and sprayed on to give some highlights.

Here's some photo's

y4mWhQJbuk0EH7uMiH1I-MdYGnrMJbutJLfuE0Bw

y4mBYHJIbJwQWzfCeJ2O7JcIPbhjXi2m6JO_g76r

y4mWixILZ3uvzxws1dBqyCYMDON0DFbCz9mp72XZ

y4m2j2ce7lOFyZyKNj1SZyeAZmpqSx43CdQjyojQ

I have to say It is a bit weird painting an armoured vehicle blue when you are so used to green or sand based colours 

So that's the base coat done, now the weathering process starts. Next up is to seal with satin varnish, then start on the pin washing.

I'm not going to be able to do any more work to this model for the next week or so due to family commitments, but will be back soon

all the best and thanks for looking in....

Ed

• Like 10

Looking good Ed, the blue turned out great.

I have had similar problems when trying to thin other brand paints with Tamiya thinners. I think maybe tamiya thinners is only good for Tamiya paint.

George

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Stef N. said:

Very nice paint work Ed. Yep, blue is unusual for us to see but you have done it well and will be interesting to see how you handle the weathering on it. 👍

6 hours ago, Geo1966 said:

Looking good Ed, the blue turned out great.

I have had similar problems when trying to thin other brand paints with Tamiya thinners. I think maybe tamiya thinners is only good for Tamiya paint.

George

Thank you both, really appreciate you both commenting. I did read in a model magazine a while back that they had used X-20A with real colours and worked ok but not for me. Anyway I now have a super clean airbrush 😀

all the best

Ed

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

• 2 weeks later...

Hello there folks, a little update on my progress so far. After the base coat I sprayed the model with a satin varnish, then proceeded doing a pin wash using Burnt Umber oil paint. I wanted to distress all the panels, so I applied small dots of oil paint, namely White, Yellow Ochre, Prussian Blue and  Olive Green to small areas at a time then blended them all together. That's now the base for all the other work to follow from now on. I then added a matt varnish to seal everything and to give a good surface for all the other effects that I want to apply.

Here are a few photo's

y4m5hOffOCWe-pDRc2pJKrRKrCh06WZK6AKxAwnw

y4mkhFsrT-sdS1LdBCYvGuJvMkLCdjYHx8tKPPK_

y4mz9QgpjNYgqyTyaaGIAFSxHnLYGi-NhMo3spIl

y4mXvGWvyDIOeiolSR8VHofEzffTAV4GYXyH7y29

So I can now continue with rust, scratches and other detail painting.

I'll be back when I have more to show.

all the best and as always, thanks for looking in.

Ed

• Like 9

13 hours ago, Bertie McBoatface said:

I'm sorry Ed, I haven't looked in on this for ages. I have to say she's looking good. I think the outside will soon be looking every bit as startling as the inside. 

Many thanks Bertie, I appreciate you looking in and commenting. It’s coming along slowly, too many distractions at the moment. I’ve been interested in your wooden ship building, in fact I have one in mind for next year after I’ve done the armoured car group build.

all the best skipper 🙂

• Like 1

1 hour ago, edjbartos said:

wooden ship building, in fact I have one in mind for next year after I’ve done the armoured car group build.

That's interesting. I'd like to see your approach to the genre. Do you have a particular vessel in mind?

The AC GB. I bought about four kits for that last year. It appals to me because it's armour without the track building nonsense. If anything can divert me from shipbuilding, that will be it.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, edjbartos said:

That's the one I'm thinking of...    https://vanguardmodels.co.uk/product/saucy-jack-barking-well-smack/  for a little change. I've still got 8 Miniart kits to build 🙂

Nice one. I think there's a build log in progress for  one of them

• Like 1