Miniart SLA APC T-54 with Dozer Blade - 37028 Full Interior. ***FINISHED***

23 minutes ago, LeeM said:

Something different. Nice job so far on the engine.

Thanks Lee, "Something different" it certainly is, It's nice sometimes to try something different, I appreciate your comments and thanks for looking in...

Ed

23 minutes ago, vytautas said:

The engine is great! It looks like a separate model

Vytautas

Hi Vytautas, It certainly is a separate model, so much detail Miniart have added to this, It's really quite nice to build and paint..

all the best

Ed 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Jasper dog said:

Engine look brilliant Ed, particularly like the colour on the exhaust manifolds.

Doesn't look as if it would take much to get it running! :winkgrin:

Atb

Darryl 

Thank you Darryl, appreciate you looking in and commenting...

all the best

Ed

• Like 1

3 hours ago, diablo rsv said:

Interesting subject Ed and a very good start, the engine looks excellent.

Looking forward to seeing this one progress.

Wayne

Hi Wayne, thanks for your kind comments, I agree it’s an interesting subject and a bit different to the norm. I just liked the dozer blade and the blue colour of the body, it’s just different, that’s what I like

all the best

Ed 

• Like 1

On to the next part, which is the construction of the baseplate, it may not look like it but the assembly is quite involved with a fair amount of parts used to complete. Here's a quick view of the baseplate...

y4mYZFNXONCsBfCjRzBcmG3g9sB_G8-Qvsfwbtry

This was the point when I remembered the bit about the wheels when I made the T-55A. As much as I like Miniart, I think they try and be too clever sometimes in doing too much. For the wheels the instructions are such that the wheels and hub should be movable, which is fine, but their method of construction is not too clever in my opinion... For example the photo below shows a pin with the end that is cut away sort of half moon shape, this is to be glued at the other end of the wheel hub so that the wheel can rotate. 

y4mb49U85ZhXzakd2P9Y-GuUlYSfRCVAI0l0xd2b

It's too small an area for the weight of the wheel, so yes the wheel spins around a few times then falls off. Worse still is when you are trying the tracks on top of the wheels and then bring the tank up to eye level to check and the wheels start dropping off!!!:frantic:

So to that end I ordered some 2.5mm rod from my supplier, I'm not playing that game again and drilled out a hole in the hub and glued the rods in place...

y4mXejZdok2_3UatDsC10pCkrSbcgwT5tPmGsneu

So wheels easily fit on and off now without a problem.. Unfortunately I think this is the same for all the T-54/55 family, for the T-34 they have gone the usual method of using  a spindle for the wheels which is much better.

Next up is priming and then base colour and then start to add flooring and other internal parts... Be back when I've made some further progress...

all the best

Ed

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

I feel your pain Ed. Why do some of these companies so over complicate things. Tamiya (for most of the time) don't do it and there stuff is usually first class. But I like your fix for it .Nice one.

John.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Bullbasket said:

I feel your pain Ed. Why do some of these companies so over complicate things. Tamiya (for most of the time) don't do it and there stuff is usually first class. But I like your fix for it .Nice one.

John.

Thank you John, I totally agree on that point, thanks for looking in and commenting..

Ed

• Like 1

3 hours ago, edjbartos said:

On to the next part, which is the construction of the baseplate, it may not look like it but the assembly is quite involved with a fair amount of parts used to complete. Here's a quick view of the baseplate...

This was the point when I remembered the bit about the wheels when I made the T-55A. As much as I like Miniart, I think they try and be too clever sometimes in doing too much. For the wheels the instructions are such that the wheels and hub should be movable, which is fine, but their method of construction is not too clever in my opinion... For example the photo below shows a pin with the end that is cut away sort of half moon shape, this is to be glued at the other end of the wheel hub so that the wheel can rotate. 

It's too small an area for the weight of the wheel, so yes the wheel spins around a few times then falls off. Worse still is when you are trying the tracks on top of the wheels and then bring the tank up to eye level to check and the wheels start dropping off!!!:frantic:

So to that end I ordered some 2.5mm rod from my supplier, I'm not playing that game again and drilled out a hole in the hub and glued the rods in place...

So wheels easily fit on and off now without a problem.. Unfortunately I think this is the same for all the T-54/55 family, for the T-34 they have gone the usual method of using  a spindle for the wheels which is much better.

Next up is priming and then base colour and then start to add flooring and other internal parts... Be back when I've made some further progress...

all the best

Ed

Nice one Ed, thanks for the info re the wheels!

Now I've fallen into the Miniart honeytrap trap and acquired some of these I think I'll need to be following your example with pinning the wheels. 👍

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, edjbartos said:

all the best

Ed

Hey Ed

I have to totally agree with you and John!

An exaggerated design in mould making that no one with weak nerves can put together in a halfway acceptable time.

From my professional experience, the reason for this is the possibilities offered by a CAD system and modern toolmaking.
The designers just sit at the PC and perhaps don't think much about how to get everything glued.
With Tamiya you can see the years of experience and the good mix between simplicity and details.
As I have just found out with the Austin from Miniart, some parts can be a pain to glue.
Nevertheless, have fun!

MD

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

33 minutes ago, THEscaleSHOW said:

Hey Ed

I have to totally agree with you and John!

An exaggerated design in mould making that no one with weak nerves can put together in a halfway acceptable time.

From my professional experience, the reason for this is the possibilities offered by a CAD system and modern toolmaking.
The designers just sit at the PC and perhaps don't think much about how to get everything glued.
With Tamiya you can see the years of experience and the good mix between simplicity and details.
As I have just found out with the Austin from Miniart, some parts can be a pain to glue.
Nevertheless, have fun!

MD

Many thanks MD, I have recently bought a Miniart Austin and It's one to do in the near future, so I guess a bit more pain to come...😀

Thanks for looking in and commenting

Ed

I have a couple of the Miniart T-54/55s, I just need to actually start one (once I clear put some of the many projects I have on the bench at present.  I’m not much of a modern armour guy, but after seeing some T-54/55s and Centurions here, I’m slowly getting over my “nothing after 1945” rule…

Following this build for sure.

• Thanks 1

Carrying on with my build, I have primed and then painted the top coat of a grey/blue colour for the baseplate. I have weathered the plates where the personnel are standing on and a little bit of chipping in certain areas. I need to do more weathering to the baseplate but I need to add the walls first.

y4mEE59QYCeLldHmMBemugTjNnSAGYKVezarUeTY

y4msRrJA3MiLZvWsZzKgDDuFW0ZlWaK__9wMFJMZ

I have constructed the walls and a big storage box and weathered to suit. I have weathered a bit more than I normally do but then again It's an APC so will get bashed about a bit with all the personnel jumping in  and out.

y4mS5ssGkyUKRN-_5S88X7-0NLWEi3uuzXgxk5bi

Also I have completed some ammo boxes, Miniart have provided ammo boxes on two shelves as well as loose ones to be added as necessary if needed. I may just have a couple on the flooring area and another two on the shelves.

y4m1oFsCS1N5TgpTq6V3-6IECC_fUvto2z73Ius9

I have painted and weathered one side and added the ammo boxes to it.

y4mhZx-n-Pxp3abAemPtPA1bnaTZ5B2N4WdCFZGQ

The next stages are to add the side and the walls to the baseplate, add a bit more weathering, then fit the engine in the rear. So will be back when that is done...

Thanks for looking in.

Ed

• Like 12

On 17/01/2022 at 16:01, Bullbasket said:

Why do some of these companies so over complicate things. Tamiya (for most of the time) don't do it and there stuff is usually first class.

Hmm. I question the use of the word "over". 🙂 I really like MiniArt's level of detail and enthusiasm because it keeps my interest during construction. Unlike Tamiya kits, some of which have disappointed and bored me to the point of not bothering to finish them. It doesn't care about what I care about. To me, construction is what gets me round to doing the really fulfilling bit (painting and finishing) so I need something which will hold my attention and involve me until then. But JMTC.

@edjbartos I like your panel weathering, Ed. Keep it up. Meantime, I'm off to catch up with what you've done on page 1 (someone mentioned an engine...)

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, vytautas said:

The view is just pleasing to the eye! The painting is excellent, look very luxurious (when I see a well-painted rusty, shabby, and dirty surface, for some reason I want to use the word "luxurious" :) ).

Vytautas

That's brilliant Vytautas, that made me laugh, I have the kids stopping with us for a few months and all I can say is that my house is looking very luxurious...🤣

thanks again

Ed

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, diablo rsv said:

Up to your usual high standards again Ed, looks really good.

Wayne

Thank you Wayne, I really appreciate your comments

all the best

Ed

10 hours ago, Ade H said:

Hmm. I question the use of the word "over". 🙂 I really like MiniArt's level of detail and enthusiasm because it keeps my interest during construction. Unlike Tamiya kits, some of which have disappointed and bored me to the point of not bothering to finish them. It doesn't care about what I care about. To me, construction is what gets me round to doing the really fulfilling bit (painting and finishing) so I need something which will hold my attention and involve me until then. But JMTC.

@edjbartos I like your panel weathering, Ed. Keep it up. Meantime, I'm off to catch up with what you've done on page 1 (someone mentioned an engine...)

Thanks for looking in and commenting Ade, much appreciated

Ed

10 hours ago, Stef N. said:

Great work Ed. The painting/chipping is superb.👍

9 hours ago, Lazy Modeller said:

Cant agree more!:clap:

Cheers

Lazy modeler was here!

Thank you both Stef and LM, kind words, really appreciated

Ed

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Jasper dog said:

Perfect Ed!

This is exactly what we've come to expect, superb. Your paint effects, chipping and weathering are a joy!

Atb

Darryl 

Hi Darryl, thanks for commenting, I just hope I haven't overdone the chipping and worn effects. Shall see when I put everything together..

all the best

Ed 

40 minutes ago, edjbartos said:

Hi Darryl, thanks for commenting, I just hope I haven't overdone the chipping and worn effects. Shall see when I put everything together..

all the best

Ed 

Nah, the sort of environment this operated in and chances are it would have been a well used machine before the conversion.

I'd say just right!

• Like 2