1/72 - Heller/Humbrol - Yakovlev Yak 3

On 1/22/2022 at 5:53 PM, Learstang said:

The wings shouldn't have any lines, other than for the fuel caps.

Judging by the look of the image on Massimos site, I would say all of the lines on top of the wings or fictional; apart from the fuel caps.

Those long straight panel lines on the Heller kit are a fiction.

Ill try to remove these the best way possible as it will provide me with a little practice on a

the lines for the ailerons and flaps should stay.

Now this I am thankful for, as they were a little bit of a problem to remove on a Spitfire that I was doing. Apparently someone had spotted that these areas did not exsist on the real item and so I had to sand them out, fill and sand flat again. I think Ive done OK. However, wont really know till I put on the primer. 

Again thanks for the help Learstang, I really wasn't expecting this much help with the build. you and Graham have been great. I hope I do the kit justice in the long run.

No real pressure :worry:

Edited by Valleyforge
  • Like 1

On with the Yak. After being relaid information by Learstang and further looking into the Yak 3, I made a few adjustments to the lines on the wings; which I was told were fake. After trying out a few combinations of paint, to get as close to the blue gray colour as possible, i decided to stripe back the paint and get on with the sanding..

Here is a bit of a before, during and after the work was done. 

I decided to try out a grey that I made up that I thought was pretty close to AMT-11 semimatt blue-grey used on the Soviet Yak 3

spacer.png 

spacer.png

Striping back the paint and taking out those lines so as to make the wings smooth.

spacer.png

Finished top section with the light grey colour re-airbrushed and the lines gone. Still not sure on that grey. It seems to have a funny tint. 

spacer.png

Further to looking at the aircraft in a different light, I thought the grey that Id airbrushed looked a little warm and yellow. I decided to experiment with mixing the paint again and made it more of a blue grey; which seems to fit the AMT-11 semimatt blue-grey of the Soviet Yak.

spacer.png

I think Iam happy with that. If I decided to look into more Soviet builds in the future I will endevour to look into the paint schemes a little more and probably invest in some more convincing paints. However, for now, Iam more than happy with that.

Edited by Valleyforge
  • Like 4

Started to mask off the Yak 3 today ready for its Dark Grey colour to go on. Ive actually got some black ~ grey and think its pretty close to the colour I need; so I might go with that.

I think the camera is playing silly buggers again with the fluorescent and tungsten light settings.

A12-1.jpg

Wow, what a few thousand kelvin make a difference. That looks more like the grey I know.

A12-2.jpg

Almost there, this baby as taken a little bit of wrapping; for such a small kit.

A12-3.jpg

All ready for the spraying to begin. Bring on the dark grey.

A12-5.jpg

Edited by Valleyforge
  • Like 2

Not had much time to work on the Yak this week :weep:. It as been sat in the corner looking a bit sorry for its self covered with masking tape and not much else happening :slowclap:. Happy days today as we finally got a little bit of time to slap on some Dark grey and bring this little beastie closure to the finish line :yahoo:

:surprised:

A13-1.jpg

• Like 2

So the cat is out of the bag and the Yak is beginning to show it true colours :thumbsup:. Glad all that tape came of with out an hitch :phew:. Going to move on to the undercarriage now; which looks a little weird :think:. Might have to put my thinking cap on for this. Lots of bits and no place to stick um.:hmmm:

A14-1.jpg

• Like 1

Really is a little tricky this undercarriage.

A15-1.jpg

Think the wheels might just need a touch up. At least they will move round.

A15-3.jpg

Still a little perseverance and it seems to be coming together. Think Ill have to do a few alteration so as to make the parts stick, and then stay in place.

A15-2.jpg

Odd set up but I think thats the best I can do with that set up. Think it will all hold together. however, I think its going to be a little delicate.

A15-4.jpg

• Like 3

Well I think we are in the closing stages with the Yak 3. What a battle I had on to get the decals in place. Not to sure how old the kit is and really no idea of how its been stored so could not tell if this a normal reaction of these type of decals. I some how knew they were going to be trouble and yes they were. From the moment they started to slide of the backing paper they started to split and come apart. Was going to go with the first place they hit the kit and leave them alone. However, a little persistence and I managed to get them in the right position and in some reasonable state. Leaving them to cure over night and then we shall look at applying the matt finish. 

A17.jpg

A17-2.jpg

A17-3.jpg

• Like 3

On 2/7/2022 at 9:31 PM, Learstang said:

Nice-looking little Yak - nice job! And do go for some more Soviet aircraft - it can be habit-forming, and I should know!

Best Regards,

Jason

Thanks Jason. Appreciate you following me along with this build. Just like to say thanks for all the information and the links. The massimos site is top notch and was a real good site to look round. Glad you like the littlke Yak, real fun kit to build and Ive learnt a fair bit about Soviet aircraft of WW 2. Cheers Keith

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1