1/72 - Heller/Humbrol - Yakovlev Yak 3

Made a start on another little aircraft today. This time thought I would have a go at a Soviet aircraft. This time Iam having a go at the 1/72 scale Yakovlev Yak 3. Thought it looked like a neat little build and something Ive never done before. The colours wont be spot on as Iam trying to use some other paints up; while Iam practicing. However, Iam not going to go stupid and do some wild colours. So here we go. 

Started off with the usual way with the Vallejo black primer.

spacer.png

and I am using a little Humbrol enamel 89 thinned down with some white spirit.

spacer.png

Just building it up in fine layers. Seems a little darker than it should be but I am more concerned about the technique rather the  colour at the moment.

spacer.png

This is after a few coats of the matt 89. Dont think its looking to bad. Seems to settle really well on the plastic with the white spirit 50/50 mix.

spacer.png

Edited by Valleyforge
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, HOUSTON said:

Yes it does look quite SPLENDID. 

:goodjob:

Do you find it easier to paint parts while still attached to the sprues?

You have a great start !

:thumbsup:

Hello Houston, Its a great way to blast the kit with black primer. However, Iam beginning to find that really only the small parts need to stay sprue as they are fiddly and easily lost. Iam beginning to realize my pattern is changing in the way I build kits. 

Now Iam painting the cockpit, and what ever goes into it. Do the propeller assembly. Putting all these small items together; in the fuselage. Glue all the bigger parts on, like wings, horizontal stabilizers etc. Paint it all up, gloss varnish, decals, weather, matt varnish and then finish off by putting the small twiggly bits on. Then last of all the canopy glass. That sucker stays in a plastic bag until its needed.  

A few coats of Humbrol 89 thinned white spirit and the underneath of the wings are beginning to look the business.

spacer.png

and the underneath of the fuselage.

spacer.png

All of the inside of the cockpit is complete and ready to get some paint.

spacer.png

Looks like I might need to fill that line in a little 

spacer.png

Edited by Valleyforge
  • Like 1

• Valleyforge changed the title to 1/72 - Heller/Humbrol - Yakovlev Yak 3

Further work on the Yak today. The dials might not be the correct colour or position, it was more to see how steady my hand was and do a little detail work. One of my daughter in laws got me some new brushes for Christmas, and so Ive been itching to try them out. So painted up the seat and the rest of the cockpit and painted some dials on the instrument panel.

spacer.png

Sprayed up the interior of the cockpit and slid the seating assembly into place. Nice snug fit. Well happy. 

spacer.png

Edited by Valleyforge
  • Like 2

Two large areas needed filling on the Yak. However, the AK putty soon made short work of them. A bit over zealous with the filler. However, I think with a little more practice we will start to get the hand of the correct amount to apply; so less filling afterwards. 

spacer.png

Edited by Valleyforge

1 hour ago, Graham Boak said:

Russians painted everything green and brown

Hi Graham. To be honest I am really going off whats on the box and on the instructions. Light Blue underneath and brown and green on top. Like a lot of things I am finding the colour schemes to be conflicting; all the time. Only the other week I was doing an F4F and that was done in blue; when it should have been grey. Ill have a look into this a bit more as I really have not done to much research on these aircraft. Thanks for the heads up. 

Here is the actual model that Iam making.

spacer.png

Blimey if thats not green and brown then I must be colour blind :surprised:. What is it with these kits that they can make such blinding mistakes and get away with it. :sad: I know I am starting at the lower end of things but really. :giggle: Not surprised that these arent around anymore. :phew:

Whow, now this is just confusing. :nuts: Green and grey. All the decals are more or less identical to whats on the kit, even the red, white and blue on the tip of the propeller :frantic: OK, now Ive even spotted the underbelly is a grey or light duck something; instead of the light blue. :headbang: 

spacer.png

1 hour ago, Graham Boak said:

These Yaks were in two shades of grey.

OK Graham, think Ill take a little more time to look into this aircraft before I commit to anymore work on it. 

The more I keep looking in to this Iam thinking Ill have a proper crack at doing some decals for this aircraft as well. Cheers

• Like 1

This now moribund site is not exactly the best for VVS colours. The best English-language site is this: index (massimotessitori.altervista.org). Graham is correct about the green/brown 'scheme' for Soviet-painted aircraft; that has been discounted and discarded by nearly all Soviet Great Patriotic War aviation researchers and historians (including yours truly, who has had five books published on Soviet WWII aircraft).

Best Regards,

Jason

Edited by Learstang
Additional comments added.
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

When I made that kit, I painted it green and brown too. However it was Cold War days, if just before the time that better information was trickling out.  It was also before the time that the Yakovlev factory produced a limited number of these aircraft, which have been flying in warbird circles ever since, in a wide range of colours.  Both the examples above are recent (comparatively) photos - the one above is surely a warbird and the lower one  might be.  Just better.  One of the French Normandie Niemen aircraft is is the Paris Museum, and original colour photos from the unit's return to France show the greys.  (The lower picture may be this aircraft since restoration.)

I'm afraid you will find many more examples where descriptions/guesses at the history, colour schemes and markings were made in post-war aircraft and modelling magazines, and then adopted as gospel to be repeated down to this day.  On a low day I sometimes think there is more myth than truth around.  You'll need to develop a sense of which sources are backed up by evidence and most likely to be correct, and which were dashed off by a journalist needing to make copy for a deadline - or some long-ago propagandist, or a well-meaning veteran with poor colour memory, or remembering a tale told in a bar room.

There is a lot of good information around, but it may be expensive and time consuming finding out which is which.  Alternatively, there is the school of  modelling which argues that you are free to paint a model however you like, and two fingers to history.  Most modellers fall somewhere between the two extremes.  For Yaks and other WW2 Russian types, Massimo's site is the place to visit and rely upon.  Or you could just make it from the box art as representative not of the original, but of the thinking in the 1970s and 80s.

• Like 4

7 hours ago, Learstang said:

The best English-language site is this: index (massimotessitori.altervista.org)

Hi Learstang, thanks for the very informative reply. My knowledge on Russian aircraft is pretty limited; as you can see. However, I am always open to a little brain bashing and feeding it a little information on the subject in hand. I shall take some time to look into web page and try to understand a little more about what Iam doing. This site as explained a few things of which I was confused about; especially all the French pilots names and the red, white and blue on the propeller, for starters. Thanks for your time and pointing in the right direction. Kind regards Keith. 

Edited by Valleyforge
  • Like 1

53 minutes ago, Graham Boak said:

When I made that kit, I painted it green and brown too. However it was Cold War days, if just before the time that better information was trickling out. 

Yes, younger readers may find it hard to believe how little we knew in those days.  Even designations were closely guarded.  I recall in the early days of glasnost' one of the first Western visitors to a Soviet airfield asking his hosts what a certain aircraft was.  The stony-faced response was, "That is the aircraft you in the West call BISON".  

• Like 2

The wing as not lined up to well; on one side. Think Ill have to remove a little plastic so as to make them look at least a little level. 

Not much raised detail to go at.

spacer.png

Again not to much detail when it comes to the panel lines.

spacer.png

Edited by Valleyforge
  • Like 1

The wings shouldn't have any lines, other than for the fuel caps. The wings on the Yak-3 were wooden-covered, with the wood then covered with putty and fabric (it was the same with the fixed horizontal tail planes - the stabilisers). This was then sanded down for a very smooth panel-less finish. Those long straight panel lines on the Heller kit are a fiction. I would look at Massimo's site to see which of the lines, if any, you should keep. Obviously, the lines for the ailerons and flaps should stay.

Regards,

Jason

Edited by Learstang
Additional comments added.
  • Like 3