Only Two Finished in 2021 - but I have some REALLY good excuses!!

Army_Air_Force

I didn't manage much modelling in 2021 and both completed models were for other people. They were a 1/48 scale Airfix Spitfire Vb and a 1/72 scale Revell P-47D Thunderbolt in Burma markings ( see below ). Not much, but read on, I haven't been idle!!!

Now for the reasons/excuses! I spent January packing up the contents of my house, ready to move house in February. February was spent stripping out all the machines, tools, benches and units from my existing workshop. The house move happened late February. March was spent rebuilding my workshop in the new house, in a room around 20ft square ( bar one corner taken up by another room ). I also made a little photo studio and display area in a cloakroom cupboard. The workshop was first so I had somewhere to make mess while working on the house. April was felling a number of trees to tame the garden and April and May were decorating and re-plumbing the utility rooms, the office and guest room. June was started as decorating my daughter's bedroom, but which ended up being gutted with new ceiling fitted and plastering. July was fitting out shelving and storage in the garage. Some of August was a short holiday.

During September and October, I took a break from major work on the house ( though it continued ) to strip down my 1/1 scale Flying Control Dodge Weapon Carrier and repaint it back to standard olive drab finish in order to get it in the garage. I'd hoped that the builders I'd booked would have modified the garage doors by September, but I'm still waiting! November I was back in the house, finishing my daughter's bedroom having got the electrics and plastering finished and also started to add another 8 inches of insulation in the main loft ( 14 x 14 metres ). Then in December, I was back on the Dodge for part 2 of the work, building an A-Frame crane in the rear. That was finished on Christmas morning, after present opening and before in the in-laws arrived. 

So there you go, a really busy year! I hope those are reasonable excuses for my lack of plastic activity. At least I was still building, even if most of it was at 1/1 scale!!! Now the pictures.....

Airfix 1/48 Spitfire Vb

spit_2020_001.jpg

spit_2020_003.jpg

spit_2020_004.jpg

Revell 1/72 P-47 Thunderbolt

p47_2021_001.jpg

p47_2021_002.jpg

p47_2021_004.jpg

My new workshop, before and after pics.

workshop1.jpg

workshop2.jpg

The mini photo studio and display area.

workshop4.jpg

The Flying Control Dodge at the new house. As it stood, it was too tall to fit through the garage door. I'd booked some builders to fix that problem and I'm still waiting as of January 2022.

2021_airing2.jpg

The Dodge WC51 stripdown.

2021_dodge_garage_08.jpg

Stripping off the old paint.

2021_paint_strip_14.jpg

First side done. Then the truck was turned around to work on the second side. Quite a bit of welding was needed here and there to patch areas rusted through with new metal.

2021_paint_strip_46.jpg

Starting the repaint into olive drab.

2021_painting_010.jpg

Painting was completed late October and it was out for the November Remembrance services on the 11th and 14th.

remembrance_11_19.jpg

Building the crane in the back of the Dodge. The jib winch.

dodge_crane_025.jpg

Crane head, ready to be welded in place.

dodge_crane_046.jpg

Ready for painting. A chain hoist is used for the lifting.

dodge_crane_055.jpg

Finally, complete and out for a photoshoot on December 30th.

crane_photoshoot16.jpg

crane_photoshoot02.jpg

crane_photoshoot19.jpg

Edited by Army_Air_Force
  • Like 11

Definitely looks like you had other stuff going on besides glueing plastic. That workshop is something else, what a nice space! The surroundings of your new place look really good as well. Love the Dodge!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...