1/16th Scale Mercer Raceabout

Hi Thanks for kind comments. The dash & other wood panels have be done with wood veneer ( the part thinned down & veneer  applied, both sides. The instruments along with the lamps were done with Rust-oleum  Gold metallic spray paint toned down with Vallejo metal varnish.I have used this combo before.I also use at times AK TrueMetal tubed brass.Nice spot Cliff, even though I built & photographed the thing I had not noticed the anti skid pattern. Now included pics of engine.Didn't think there was interest in very old cars.

spacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.png

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1

Beautiful work John, I’m embarrassed to say that I’ve given up on my build of this kit. I found that I was having lots of issues with the fit and alignment, so I’ve parked the half finished model back in the stash until the enthusiasm returns.

Hi Ian Sorry you had trouble with kit. Your start post was what got me onto mine.Know the feeling if things are not going well.Sure when you get round to it again it will be a cracker.

Just noticed on pick 6 looks as if it had no rear wheels  Who pinched them & are they covered by my car insurance Ha Ha.They say pics never lie but this one did as it certainly had 4 wheels.5 if you count the steering one.

3 hours ago, Old John said:

Just noticed on pick 6 looks as if it had no rear wheels  Who pinched them & are they covered by my car insurance Ha Ha.They say pics never lie but this one did as it certainly had 4 wheels.5 if you count the steering one.

It's a nice trick!

Oh man, that's a handsome model! Great modelling art. Being an airplane modeller I much admire such an excellent vehicle - I don't think I could do it.

• Like 1

On 04/01/2022 at 21:38, Old John said:

.Didn't think there was interest in very old cars.

There most certainly is, especially when they are built up as nicely as this! Lovely work, and it's a great pity that this series haven't been reissued recently, as it would be fantastic to see more of them.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thank you Paul It would be great to have more to choose from. Have you really got all those kits in progress?I don't know how you keep track.I am strictly one at a time. 

Nice model!

Such a shame that Bandai haven't re-released any of the 1/16th (or 1/20th!) scale kits they made.

I have a couple in my stash.

Cheers,

Alan.

Edited by Alan R
Addition
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Old John said:

Thank you Paul It would be great to have more to choose from. Have you really got all those kits in progress?I don't know how you keep track.I am strictly one at a time. 

They aren't all out on the workbench at once - whilst at least six are very nearly finished, probably the same number again are over half way through, but most have been temporarily put to one side or back in their boxes for various reasons.  I find that working on more than one at a time means that, for example, if paint or glue is drying on one kit, I can still work on another, but it got a bit out of control!  I'm only actively working on three right now, and the list is there to remind me not to start any other kits until I go back and complete (most of...) these ones!  🙄 

• Thanks 1

Thank you again Paul I can  understand the paint& glue issues. Working mostly with  Revell Aqua Color paints the drying time for me is very quick.  I have often primed ( auto paint) & top coated within a couple of hours.Often see recommendations to leave various paint coats to dry for a couple of weeks,no way could I work like that. Then again I am well past retirement age & on my own & can model whenever the mood takes me. If you are working I suppose the long drying times are not so much of an issue. The downside of my way is that I can not achieve mirror gloss finish,which is fine as I think they can look out of scale on older cars & trucks.  

• Like 1

I made  decals myself. Not too hard seeing as the pin stripes are black & body colour yellow so you can use clear decal sheet. As for size I tend to create what is required in a art program then resize from measurements taken from the model. Print them on plain paper to check if ok before doing them on decal sheet .A bit hard to explain but I have made lots of decals. I sometimes have done striping with adhesive backed plain paper printed the colour I require then cut into the width of stripes I require.After a coat of clear I have not had any problems with them lifting off. I have found I am incapable of painting them so have to find a way round the problem. The decals on these very old kits are often unusable in which case I scan them 1st & make copies. Of course it is not so easy if it is a dark paint job & light decal.  Hope this helps.

• Thanks 2

3 hours ago, Old John said:

I made  decals myself. Not too hard seeing as the pin stripes are black & body colour yellow so you can use clear decal sheet. As for size I tend to create what is required in a art program then resize from measurements taken from the model. Print them on plain paper to check if ok before doing them on decal sheet .A bit hard to explain but I have made lots of decals. I sometimes have done striping with adhesive backed plain paper printed the colour I require then cut into the width of stripes I require.After a coat of clear I have not had any problems with them lifting off. I have found I am incapable of painting them so have to find a way round the problem. The decals on these very old kits are often unusable in which case I scan them 1st & make copies. Of course it is not so easy if it is a dark paint job & light decal.  Hope this helps.

Yes thanks, that explains it well although I was hoping you had found a decal sheet with the curves on

I'll have to have a go when I do mine