1/32 P-47D Norma/Little Bunny/Helen

Hello all, Happy New year and thank lordy 2021 has right done one...Lets hope 2022 is a lot, lot better for us all.

This was started in 2021 so i cant really claim this to be a 2022 build, but one that rolled over into 2022. 

The Trumpeter P-47D kits seem to be a little hit and miss as i've built a few and this one was a real tricky customer which need a fair amount of filler, sanding and re-scribing (replacing panels that was destroyed in the sanding exercise) to look half decent. I'm working on a few more weathering processes to make my aircraft look more realistic, so if there are any comments on the weathering that may need improvement please leave a comment as all comment are welcome. 

This aircraft is: P-47D-30-RE Sno 44-20344 #54 ‘Norma/Little Bunny/Helen and flown by Lt. William "Willy" Lyke and shared with Lt. Brad Muhl.

The Aircraft is finished in RAF Green upper surfaces and Medium Sea Grey lower surfaces. The aircraft has the Leading edge of the nose cowl finished in red while the tail and wings have yellow identification stripes. the aircraft was an ex-Brazilian aircraft that was turned over to the 57th FG who painted over some of the markings resulting in a patchwork Olive Drab/RAF green finish. The name Norma was added by Lt. Brad Muhl and this was to impress his girlfriend who was a nurse in Pisa, Italy.  

Paint: I tend to stick with Gunze as much as i can and went for 303 for the cockpit interior. 27 for the wheel bays, the main paints were 13 (medium grey) and 23 (RAF Drab) with 38 (US tank Drab) for the camo scheme. 

Aftermarket: Only added Master 32004 1/32 Gun Barrels, Brassin Wheels and Eagle Cal's EC#104 set. As ever Eagle Cal do a great job on their decals but i wish they included the prop markings in this set. Seat belt are scratch built with tape and spare buckles.

ezZYZ97.jpeg

IPbWfcG.jpeg

wL6l4vE.jpeg

REtWlwK.jpeg

VHwFNQ1.jpeg

4LOxQeU.jpeg

qlR5oK8.jpeg

TBFfYI2.jpeg

1hJPBcm.jpeg

Q5flVaa.jpeg

ES5ec8m.jpeg

flLUGdV.jpeg

As i said, please comment on the weathering is there is anywhere i can improve on this. 

Keep safe folks.

fNNxN3R.jpeg

tscoFwT.jpeg

avkUCZs.jpeg

zZpoSfv.jpeg

• Like 36
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, F-32 said:

Very cool indeed! I was lucky enough to sit in this aircraft (or one in this scheme) at the New England Aircraft Museum back in 2018:

45730799222_243a540089_k.jpgP-47D Norma by tony_inkster, on Flickr

31928764798_5d2037a941_b.jpgP-47D 'Thunderbolt' by tony_inkster, on Flickr

Thank you F-32, I'm sure getting to sit in that beast was real pleasure. 

• David Mooney changed the title to 1/32 P-47D Norma/Little Bunny/Helen
19 hours ago, SAT69 said:

The very subtle weathering is wonderful! I, for one, wouldn't change anything in that regard.

It's tough to be 'subtle' with weathering as hard to stop yourself at the point before it becomes over weathered, so thank you for you kind comment. 

Thank you for posting this David. I'm doing this kit at the moment and not far from the end! I'm doing the "Miss Fire " version myself which I see you've also done! 

It is a difficult kit to get to go together in some areas I have to agree. Getting the engine in to the cowling was a nightmare. The tail fin / fuselage aft of the cockpit was a difficult also. 

I think you've done a perfect restrained weathering effect on this one. I like the colour scheme. very much indeed. The only real improvements I might suggest is maybe Burnt iron colour for the engine gases outflow just aft of the cowling below the wing roots? I'm no expert but I think that's what happened to the real jugs? Seem to recall seeing a colour wartime pics showing this?.

i might add some weathering to the cowling also. Not too much but just a little to replicate the scratches and dings to the paint  showing the bare metal finish underneath, especially around the lip of the cowling by the rear of the prop? 

A superb model of one of my favourite USAAF subjects. Well done Sir! Thank you for showing this! I am most impressed. 

Kind Regards, Andy

The model looks great.  The only thing I would consider adding is on the guns.  They don't look like they have been fired.  Maybe add some dirt/residue to the wing leading edge and shell casing ejection ports.

On 1/5/2022 at 4:19 PM, Col Walter E Kurtz said:

Thank you for posting this David. I'm doing this kit at the moment and not far from the end! I'm doing the "Miss Fire " version myself which I see you've also done! 

It is a difficult kit to get to go together in some areas I have to agree. Getting the engine in to the cowling was a nightmare. The tail fin / fuselage aft of the cockpit was a difficult also. 

I think you've done a perfect restrained weathering effect on this one. I like the colour scheme. very much indeed. The only real improvements I might suggest is maybe Burnt iron colour for the engine gases outflow just aft of the cowling below the wing roots? I'm no expert but I think that's what happened to the real jugs? Seem to recall seeing a colour wartime pics showing this?.

i might add some weathering to the cowling also. Not too much but just a little to replicate the scratches and dings to the paint  showing the bare metal finish underneath, especially around the lip of the cowling by the rear of the prop? 

A superb model of one of my favourite USAAF subjects. Well done Sir! Thank you for showing this! I am most impressed. 

Kind Regards, Andy

Thank you Andy, keep on with the good work in your build (i see your build thread), here is a link to my build of the same aircraft if you want to check it out.. 

20 hours ago, BleedingBlue said:

The model looks great.  The only thing I would consider adding is on the guns.  They don't look like they have been fired.  Maybe add some dirt/residue to the wing leading edge and shell casing ejection ports.

Fair comment, i did do some staining but from the pictures it doesnt show up to well, so maybe this is something i need to do more to which will give a better effect. Thanks for the comment. 

19 hours ago, woody37 said:

you've hidden any issues well, it's come out a treat. Weathering and paintwork is spot on :)

The kit for most part is ok, my main issues came around the gun covers and the parts given seemed a little undersized so needed a lot of super glue and filler and a good session of sanding. 

Thanks for the nice comments. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, David Mooney said:

Thank you Andy, keep on with the good work in your build (i see your build thread), here is a link to my build of the same aircraft if you want to check it out.

My word.. that's amazing! Just had a look and it's a superb build and diorama. Mine isn't going to be as good as your version I think. Thank you for the link David. Impressive! 

Regards, Andy

On 1/6/2022 at 7:44 PM, Col Walter E Kurtz said:

My word.. that's amazing! Just had a look and it's a superb build and diorama. Mine isn't going to be as good as your version I think. Thank you for the link David. Impressive! 

Regards, Andy

Thanks Andy, I thought id just add the link to hopefully give you some reference material to use on your build as finding them can be hard at times. 

• Thanks 1

On 1/5/2022 at 9:45 PM, BleedingBlue said:

Fair comment and critique accepted 👍, I did do some effects but seemly not enough to stand out. Thank you for the comment 

6 minutes ago, David Mooney said:

Thanks Andy, I thought id just add the link to hopefully give you some reference material to use on your build as finding them can be hard at times. 

Much obliged David. Yes I've added a few similar details inspired by your builds from the links. thank you! 

• Like 1