***finished***Academy C, Golden Dragons

PhantomBigStu

Not decided the scheme, could have got the boxing I wanted online https://www.scalemates.com/kits/academy-12564-usn-f-a-18c-vfa-192-golden-dragons--1133362) but I like to support local shops so picked this up and I've been offered some from another issue, see what happens. 100165-11185-94-1080.jpg

Edited by PhantomBigStu
  • Like 5

6 minutes ago, Bertie Psmith said:

That's interesting. What's the story behind the German insignia? Did it land on one of Germany's aircraft carriers by accident?

When VMFA-212 changed its name from the Devil Cats to the Lancers in 1961, the XO picked a medieval theme and the logo designers came up with the crossed lances and shields, with the Schwartzes Kreuz on the shield. I'm guessing the logo designers didn't know much heraldry, as the Schwartzes Kreuz dates to 1813 and is very definitely not medieval.

5 minutes ago, Bertie Psmith said:

That's interesting. What's the story behind the German insignia? Did it land on one of Germany's aircraft carriers by accident?

Seems when the Squadron reformed on the F-8 Crusader in the 60's the Commander wanted the insignia to have a medieval theme, so chose a crusader cross on shield over cross Lancers, nice idea though 

47 minutes ago, Adam Maas said:

When VMFA-212 changed its name from the Devil Cats to the Lancers in 1961, the XO picked a medieval theme and the logo designers came up with the crossed lances and shields, with the Schwartzes Kreuz on the shield. I'm guessing the logo designers didn't know much heraldry, as the Schwartzes Kreuz dates to 1813 and is very definitely not medieval.

47 minutes ago, PhantomBigStu said:

Seems when the Squadron reformed on the F-8 Crusader in the 60's the Commander wanted the insignia to have a medieval theme, so chose a crusader cross on shield over cross Lancers, nice idea though 

More like Uhlans (German light cavalry of WWI and before, known for their long lances) than medieval jousting knights then. Which is much closer to the Hornet's function really, light, fast, deadly.

• PhantomBigStu changed the title to Academy C, Golden Dragons

Funny thing is, I dd it the other way around: Bougth the Golden Dragons boxing from my local hobby shop, then went on to buy the VMFA-212 boxing on-line. :D 
I am keen to know which of the three Golden Dragons schemes provided are you going for?   

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/4/2022 at 11:56 PM, PhantomBigStu said:

Done what any sensible person shouldn’t have done and ordered the boxing I actuality wanted in the first place. still least if I fancy a second entry I won’t have to look far.  1f36e0c9-baae-44ea-a63f-5b44c3c1b1ab.jpe

Huh, I am very surprised the stars part of the US flag isn‘t pointing forwards. 😳

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Slight hitch with the last decaying session, some idiot put the star and bar upside down so I had to raid the spares, all the ones I could find where slightly larger so perhaps academy messed the size up. Should make the gallery tomorrow, done the Matt coat just sticking various bits on3-CC6-F6-A6-1987-44-D7-8-EEE-64270-E09-D

• Like 1