PK-605 : Handley Page Heyford Mk. I/II/III (1980/1981)

Hi Richard,

Don't know if this is of any use but in the Putnams book on Handley Page it says "Early in 1940 at least seven yellow-painted Heyfords (K4027, 4030, 5193, 5197, 6866, 6868, and 6869) were still in use as bombing trainers and the last two, believed to be K4029 and K5184, remained in use till April 1941 as tugs for the first secret experiments with Hotspur I assault gliders". Also, besides K6902 acting as a target for Watson-Watt and Co in February 1935, that or another Heyford air-tested the first airborne radar transmitter in 1937, so the old Heyford did make quite a contribution to WWII in its own modest way.

As to the fin flashes, I suspect that the ones on a sheet of A/A1 roundels such as sold by Modeldecal/Xtradecal might be suitable if you have any - always a useful item to have in stock for modellers working in the early WWII period.

Pete

Edited by PeterB
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Some slow progress this week as I've been working on a bevvy of Spitfires.

I sprayed the whole thing in some primer which covered the multi-coloured plastic.

I then started on the yellow. The Model Air Medium Yellow gave good coverage.

This is after 2 coats.

y4mFtWzFyji5XWMJPuOGN-UjrCbkgxX_OnQS4RIh

I left it to dry, continued with the spitfires and found this...

y4mt5NhMUjx-55CcdAcRp1_paUcqRFlXj8qRON2q

Oops. Some paint from one of the others has gone where it shouldn't. I've since re-primed and then gave it a single coat of yellow and it has vanished. Next stop, upper camo.

• Like 9

On 1/10/2022 at 8:46 AM, Richard Tucker said:

I've just bought a set of these. Thanks for the suggestion

Modeldecal sold two sheets in different sizes and had a selection of fin flash widths. Hannants took them over and sold them unchanged for years but now seem to have changed them so not sure what the flashes are like - hope they work. On the plus side they are probably individually film coated, the Modeldecs were on a continuous sheet and had to be cut out more carefully.

Pete

• Like 1

This is coming along well, that yellow has turned out a treat.

I tried building one of these when I got back into modelling, and probably bit off more than I could chew as a first kit. I would certainly like another opportunity sometime (hint, hint Revell!)

Ray

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Some progress over the last week.

y4mRpVqpogDhe7hnHMkRZaumB1FruyI0hHffTNV3

I've sprayed the DE and DG on the top surfaces.

I realise I've not done the tops of the engines or tops of the wheel spats so they will need masking and spraying.

y4mBAnxT6b946HMYQhX6BjODT3ab8hVZT3gIHH1u

You maybe can also see the mistake I've made........ I won't be rectifying it as I think it will trash the plastic too much. I won't tell anyone if you don't ? 

• Like 9

Some more progress yesterday with the rigging and decals.

y4mw5cca7DBO7HDFSusqu_A8vqHNnd3kgL_mgx39

I bought the roundel set as suggested further up. Thank you.

I've begun the delicate task of rigging and wing construction.

y4mO5msAbKHHeU0iCETh_yzyLWFu2XMCdBmx6ICi

So far, so good. I find the difficult part is the ones that go vertically from the top wing straight down to the lower wing. I might try drilling out tiny indentations for the rigging to stick it. Does anyone have other suggestions?

Also, I plan to stick the wings together and then attach the fuselage. Hopefully that will work?!?! I worry about the struts under the fuselage to the lower wing though.

• Like 13

On 1/9/2022 at 10:23 AM, Adrian Hills said:

Hi Richard,

On the fin flashes I prepainted the white and then masked and added the red and blue using Compucolour paints. This company hasn't made anything since the 90s so I suggest you mix up your own colours to match as best as possible the colour of your decals. My other decals are Signiagraph, a  Canadian rub down decal from the 90s, some of which were manufactured in my then girlfriend's basement (a very sorry story). Don't forget that red goes forward, an easy mistake to make 🙂

Andrian - your Heyford looks really marvelous!

If I may ask on some details. You have not gave the serials on bottom wings - I thought that serials were present all war long on machines with yellow bellies. Why you've did not gave them?

The second question is the inner spaces of fins. You made it yellow and without fin flashes. Ususally, on RAF machines with doubled find the finflash was on inside areas as well. Is it documented? Because here:

51800051496_2d6e02d7f9_b.jpg

I think that there are fin flashes on both sides of fins.

Regards

J-W

On 1/24/2022 at 1:03 PM, Richard Tucker said:

You maybe can also see the mistake I've made........ I won't be rectifying it as I think it will trash the plastic too much. I won't tell anyone if you don't ? 

:doh:  :lipssealed:  😂

• Haha 1

I got the bit between my teeth last night and now have this beast :

y4mdivQ4-f7t7qchkAP2d6b5GDvqpV0p5CIvYDpU

y4mX1-4vN2XnvJsLuffuG0WqhC3KB3aflNEtrRvH

There are a whole load of unanswered questions - the answers I might incorporate or I might not.

Fin flashes on both sides of the tail? That'll be tricky to do with the struts now in place but I might remove them and do the decal if there is any proof of this.

Registration letter / numbers under the bottom wing? I expect so.

The struts between the wings are now part yellow / part DE. I might repaint the wheel ones to be DE.

Do I really want to run the vertical rigging wires between the wings? These are the ones I struggle at most. They just don't look neat and tidy.

I now notice the outboard struts need to be yellow at the top. oops!

• Like 11

Though not a very clear image, because it's an enlarged view of a picture that was scanned from an old magazine, it does show that the inside face of the tail fin did not have the fin flash.

51846528566_17332b8899_b.jpg

Chris

• Thanks 2

Aah, that was the photo as posted by Dogsbody which is why I fid not pit fin flashes on the inside. Been looking for that one.

On lettering under the wings that particular image is unclear. However, I seem to remember after war began then these under wing codes were discontinued.

Over the years I have tried hard to find more images of the Jurby Heyford - including visiting the library on the Isle of Man during a cycling holiday. At one point there was a real aviation enthusiast there so there is a good collection of literature 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Wow!! just catching up on some of these builds and this Heyford is just looking drop dead gorgeous. The yellow certainly changes this build from a dull dark bomber to something totally different. You're doing a fantastic job here, can't wait for the finish. 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 1

I've put the rest of the decals on and most of the small bits and bobs.

The original matchbox decals were pretty good, helped by the fact I have 2 sets to choose from. I never got as far as decals on the previous build before it was smashed in transit. I used the top wing roundels from the roundel set but the underwing letters were from the Matchbox kit.

I thought I'd use the sunshine this morning to take a photo or two. The remnants of Storm Malik got the props turning. I didn't want to have the whole thing blow off the wall so took some more inside.

y4msIms8mE8B7Z5r9MYbjZn6Qfu_ejS6DOrczUfj

y4m8L3ChndIntTozHaD34UZMn0VQX-plpscGDwJn

I also repainted all the struts so that they are consistent.

y4m7ruKeUqJ1HuBFs9zQS7ldZGesfYvKd6NM8x0n

y4mkxT9oahQF1a4ZREaaJ9UqbKg0lIVrrYEJnl8o

• Like 14

Wonderful job Richard

As Chris said thank goodness Storm Malik didn't claim another victim.

The attention to detail you have put into this build has clearly been rewarded, congratulations 

:partytime:

Cheers Pat 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Outstanding work Richard, this Heyford has turned out wonderfully well and you should be very proud of the fact it's finished so nicely and in such quick order. Very well modelled mate!

Cheers.. Dave

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1