A (slightly modified) Matchbox Wellington Mk. X - HZ279 “YOUNG/ERS” No. 466 (RAAF) Squadron, Spring 1943

Outstanding Dave

That has turned out beautifully,  and I love the story behind the choice of subject.

Of course this in no way puts the pressure on for me building the same kit in the Matchbox GB ! :worry:

Cheers Pat

That is a lovely looking Wellington Dave, the photo of it pre-painted in it's multi-coloured plastic takes me right back to when I built one in the 70s, unfortunately I don't have one in the stash, just the new Airfix kit.

• Thanks 1

A really superb looking Wellington I knew the Matchbox kit still held up pretty well but the additional work you put in has transformed it. The kit seems to be becoming quite rare now.  I've being prowling around ebay etc looking for it, or the Revell re-release, in order to build a Coastal Command Mk.XIV. Matchbox were quite clever with how they engineered some of their kits so that different versions could be built.

• Thanks 1

Excellent build with a great finish.  When I first got in modelling over 40 years ago, Matchbox kits were one of my fave ranges.  Would love to build one now!

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, JOCKNEY said:

Outstanding Dave

That has turned out beautifully,  and I love the story behind the choice of subject.

Of course this in no way puts the pressure on for me building the same kit in the Matchbox GB ! :worry:

Cheers Pat

Thanks for the comments Pat. The date on my first WIP photo suggests I was planning this build since 01 Jan 2021, I would have had no idea you’d be doing the same kit in this up and coming GB!

Either way, build it OOB, it’s a great kit and I’m sure you’ll build a lovely Coastal Command version out of it.

Cheers.. Dave  

I saw it on Facebook earlier Dave and was mightily impressed,....... I`m even more so now mate after seeing the in progress pics,...... the Matchbox kit is still quite nice but you have addressed the main problems and done such a good job,....... I do like the Hercules engined Wimpey variants and this one is top notch mate,....... congratultions,

Cheers

Tony

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, keefr22 said:

Really lovely Wimpy Dave and beautifully presented - that opening photo is stunning!

That photo surprised me too.. the glass table top has come up a treat and certainly beats the typical fruit bowl ornament!
Cheers 

13 hours ago, Vulcanicity said:

Really superb Wimpy, with the new canopy that stands up perfectly well next to the 50 years younger Airfix kit!

Well when I eventually build the Airfix kit, I hope this kit Classic kit can still hold its own. Time will tell I suppose. Thanks for the comments. 

12 hours ago, Jonners said:

Really good result, and I'm very pleased to see your choice of subject as I live very close to Leconfield.

Jon

Thanks Jon, one day I’ll do a tour of the UK’s famous Bomber (and Fighter Airfields), glad this build has a local connection. Cheers mate. 

10 hours ago, tonyot said:

I saw it on Facebook earlier Dave and was mightily impressed,....... I`m even more so now mate after seeing the in progress pics,...... the Matchbox kit is still quite nice but you have addressed the main problems and done such a good job,....... I do like the Hercules engined Wimpey variants and this one is top notch mate,....... congratultions,

Truly appreciate the comments Tony and I feel better for your kind words. I quite enjoy this type of modelling and it’s quite rewarding when some of these mad ideas in my head actually come off! Cheers mate. 

8 hours ago, Josh G said:

Great job. I remember that box art making me buy (or con my parents into buying it for me) that kit in Sutherland, Sydney in 1983. PS Go the Broncos.

I’m sure you’re not the only one that automatically opens up their wallet as a result of good box art. Roy Huxley box tops must have done wonders for Matchbox back in the day, shame their plastic department went belly up when they did. I also might change that ‘Go the Btoncos … to go the Lions!”, if it’s not Cricket, AFL comes a close second. 

Thanks for all the support fellas… much appreciated. 
Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 2

What an absolutely brilliant build Dave. I currently have 8 Wimpeys to build for a charity, The RAF Ingham Heritage Centre, which commemorates Polish Aircrew of 300 and 305 Sqns that flew from here. I'll certainly be using your pictures as a reference. Can I ask what paints you used for the project and would you still have the 300 Sqn markings that came with the kit? I would pay for them and postage should you be happy to sell them.

Regards Ian

• Like 1

@Radar,wow eight Wimpy’s to build? that’s gonna take some doing. Sounds like an excellent project and I’m sure you will have included the new Airfix Merlin engine Mk.II kit which already includes No. 305 Squadron decals. Your most welcome to have the Matchbox No. 300 Squadron decals, being very old  hopefully they are still useable. Please send me a PM with your details and I’ll post them as soon as I can. 

Now paints used are as follows - 

Dark Earth - AK Real Color RC287

Dark Green - Gunze H73 (old bottle) 

Night - Gunze C125 ‘Cowling Colour)

This is a silly combination of brands and paint mediums, however they are all thinned with Gunze Mr Color Levelling Thinner, which seems to be happy with all paint types.

Cheers and I hope this helps.. Dave 

That's a very good RFI, Dave. You have given us a lovely model with lots of interesting little details to spot. I liked the incendiary crates which make such a change from boring old bombs, and the patches too. And then there's the writing. The history, the kit and your building of it were all entertaining and well written. What more could I ask for? Thanks mate.

• Thanks 1