Finish Photos of Revell 1/32 Scale HE-111 H3 in BoB Markings

Fellow Modelers,

This is my first post to this excellent site.  Below are photos of my Revell GmbH 1/32 scale HE-111 H3 finished in 2018.  The He-111 has always been one of my favorite WWII aircraft and I decided to model it after a Battle of Britain machine.  The subject selected was an “H-3” aircraft (Work Number 3340) that participated in the BoB during the summer of 1940, specifically on September 15, 1940, now remembered as “Battle of Britain Day”.  Several aftermarket sets were used to make the conversion from a “P-1” to “H-3” version of the aircraft.  The aftermarket sets included: Eduard canopy mask set, Eduard cockpit photo-etched set, CMK engine nacelle conversion set, HK seatbelt set, and decals.   

The shown He-111 H-3 (Wk. Num. 3340 and side code A1+BT) was assigned to KG53/III/9 or the 9th Squadron of the 3rd Group of the 53 Bomber Wing and was based out of Lille, France.  Although bomber attacks took place all day on September 15th, 3340 participated in the mid-afternoon attack which totaled 114 bombers.  The primary targets for this group were the West India Docks, Royal Victoria Docks and Surrey Commercial Dock warehouses.  After crossing the Channel and reaching the vicinity of Gravesend, England (northwest of London) this armada came under attack from Spitfire fighters from 66, 72 and 229 Squadrons.  The British fighters were above and in front of the Luftwaffe bombers when they began their diving attacks.  During these attacks (lead by 66 Squadron) 3340 was hit multiple times, suffering heavy damage and wounding two non-commissioned officers.  The damage was significant enough to force a return to base.  3340 was able to re-cross the Channel and enter France, making a forced (probably wheels up) landing in Armentieres, France about 10 miles short of the airfield in Lille.  Luftwaffe records record 3340 suffered “40% damage” as a result of the action that day but it is unknown if the aircraft was repaired and returned to service or written off.

I hope you enjoy the photos.

Phillip1

167.jpg

169.jpg

171.jpg

172.jpg

173.jpg

174.jpg

175.jpg

177.jpg

179.jpg

180.jpg

181.jpg

182.jpg

184.jpg

186.jpg

187.jpg

187.jpg

189.jpg

• Like 46
  • Thanks 3

It’s so nice to see a model that hasn’t been weathered, washed, pre- and post-shaded to within an inch of its life.  She looks like she’s been on the Geschwader for a couple of days straight from Heinkel AG.  Lovely job.

• Like 2

That’s just drop dead gorgeous. A faultless build throughput and brilliantly photographed to capture your masterful work. 
It’s great builds like this that inspires everyone to work harder and get better. 
Cheers and very well modelled., Dave 

What a beauty! Your paintjob and weathering really makes this kit such a stunner. It's very nice to see a kit that depicts an almost factory new aircraft but still with good depth to the paintwork.

Mark

Ingo Ritz/Hoppy/Volksjager/Rabbit Leader/RMCS/MBM/F-32/one of the few/Bertie Psmith/NavyWessex/DaveH/chrispisme/JTninja/Maginot-Thanks very much for the compliments!

NavyWesses-I use Model Master enamel paints, although they are getting harder to find since Testors stopped making them.

Phillip1