1/48 Kinetic F/A-18C Blue Angels DONE

Lex77

Hi all,

Will be joining this GB with the Kinetic 1/48 F/A-18A/B/C/D Blue Angels kit.

It will be build as a F/A-18C from the 2017 tour and probably with some aftermarket.

20220103_164826

Edited by Lex77
  • Like 9

16 minutes ago, modelling minion said:

You're not missing much Werner, lots of straight line formation passes, almost as bad as the Thunderbirds, not a patch on the excitement of the the Frecce, Red Arrows or Patrouille de France.

thanks... Yeah, i am rather used to the European jet display teams, and they are definitely exiting! (I aslo saw the Saudi Hawks, very similar to the Red Arrows display ;) )

I once had the pleasure of a Thunderbirds display in Lignano beach close to Venice/ Italy  - yes, lots of strait passes indeed, but tight formations and 6 F-16s are a great sight! :thumbsup: I enjoyed the difference a lot!

on the other end of the spectrum of course is the excellent and exiting Russian Knights display.... very smooth, looks like a continous flow....

so yes, I would like to see a Blue Angels display! Ideally at some beach with a cold beer  :D

• Like 2

5 hours ago, modelling minion said:

You're not missing much Werner, lots of straight line formation passes, almost as bad as the Thunderbirds, not a patch on the excitement of the the Frecce, Red Arrows or Patrouille de France.

The Blues are constrained in what they do by their big/fast birds. I've yet to see any of the teams doing formation demos on fighters match what the trainer-based teams can and will do. 

If you want to see a good Hornet demo, it's got to be one of the solo demo's. Those tend to really push what the airframe can do. The annual RCAF demo bird is always a good show. I see it every year at the CIAS, and usually head home once the Snowbirds have made their first pass (frankly, I've seen the Snowbirds so many times they pretty much put me to sleep).

vpelt68 posted a good Hornet demo video over in his Ilmavoimat build thread, it's a master class in low-speed Hornet manoeuvring.

Edited by Adam Maas
  • Like 3

44 minutes ago, Adam Maas said:

The Blues are constrained in what they do by their big/fast birds. I've yet to see any of the teams doing formation demos on fighters match what the trainer-based teams can and will do. 

If you want to see a good Hornet demo, it's got to be one of the solo demo's. Those tend to really push what the airframe can do. The annual RCAF demo bird is always a good show. I see it every year at the CIAS, and usually head home once the Snowbirds have made their first pass (frankly, I've seen the Snowbirds so many times they pretty much put me to sleep).

vpelt68 posted a good Hornet demo video over in his Ilmavoimat build thread, it's a master class in low-speed Hornet manoeuvring.

Don't get me wrong, the Hornet is one of the best displays at air shows, a truly impressive aircraft in both the legacy and Super Hornet form. Its just my own opinion (which I know others have the right to disagree with) that the Blue Angels (and Thunderbirds) are quite boring displays, they do fly very neat and tight formations but frankly when you have seen one pass you have seen them all. As for teams using fighters rather than trainers then my opinion (again just my opinion) is that the Russian Knights are probably the most entertaining.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Working on the kit, got some things glued when I noticed this

20220123_202214

that wing is pretty bend! Not sure how to get this right.

Also I attached the intake lips but when i wanted to attach the intakes that didn't go very well. Probably it is better to attach the lip to the intake first and smoothen it out before attaching them to the body,

• Confused 3
  • Sad 1

That wing really does look bad Lex, maybe dip it in warm water and tape it to a flat surface to try to straighten it out.

The intakes are a real pain, took me a lot of dry fitting, sanding and then still filling and I am still not 100% happy with them.

Wait until you get to the front canopy, thats really fun!

• Like 1

Did your wing was as bad as mine?

Maybe will try to do the warm water trick.

Already painted the intakes so don't want to sand over there.

Did some thinning on the front canopy so that problem is solved (I hope).

• Like 1