1/48 F/A-18F, VFA-103, Inherent Resolve, 2016. Finished 23/02.

DaveJL

wow this one isn't playing ball at all, all the issues you're having are exactly the same as I had with the last one. Looking over the photos of my last one and they look the same as yours!

Those flaps are truly terrible, I had to places shims under mine to try and get the insert height right!

Maybe if we make offerings of our first born (and wives :rofl2:) to the modelling gods, Tamiya might start to release these and lots of other wonderful and sorely needed jets in 1/48th!!! :pray:    :D

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, modelling minion said:

Sorry to see the issues you're having with your build Dave, looks about as much fun as the Kinetic pile of poo that I have been struggling with, they also do virtually identical two piece flaps to Hasegawa and they are just as good a fit too. Can't for the life of me see a good reason for doing them in two pieces when they could do them as one piece.

I can’t work out why they’re in 2 pieces either, seems a bit odd.  I’ve built a few of these and don’t remember having as much trouble before.

32 minutes ago, coneheadff said:

Oh boy...don't say that. I have one Kinetic Hornet waiting for me 🤦🏻‍♂️

Think I sold mine :lol:

11 minutes ago, trickyrich said:

wow this one isn't playing ball at all, all the issues you're having are exactly the same as I had with the last one. Looking over the photos of my last one and they look the same as yours!

Those flaps are truly terrible, I had to places shims under mine to try and get the insert height right!

Maybe if we make offerings of our first born (and wives :rofl2:) to the modelling gods, Tamiya might start to release these and lots of other wonderful and sorely needed jets in 1/48th!!! :pray:    :D

It’s a bit of a sod for sure mate! I placed some shims under them also, but still a lot of work needed.

Maybe if we all write Tamiya a lovely letter, signed in fountain pen, they might tool a few kits for us surely? I’d take a Eurofighter, Superbug, F-35, F-22, F-15, just to start! 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, modelling minion said:

A very wise, and stress reducing, move Dave.👍

Doing that with this kit may have also been a stress reducing move!

A lot more sanding and some re-scribing today. This kit has a bit of a whiff of Revell Tornado F.3 about it... rapidly finding its way onto my 'never to build again' list. I don't recall having as many issues with my previous builds. Anyway, I'll try not to whinge anymore, on this post at least! I spent a few hours today sanding, filling, priming, repeating on the inner flaps, rear fuselage and LERX joins. I was close to putting it back in the box and leaving it, but I decided enough was enough and just thew the inner flaps on as they were after a 4th dose of filling and tidying up. Lost interest in them now. A few other bits added and this is where we're at:

51839089110_991a62b704_b.jpg

51838353061_e2d39ec736_b.jpg

51839088710_ab9141af2e_b.jpg

51838352756_ec40b6c28a_b.jpg

I've a few more panel lines to re-scribe, mainly at the rear, and a few other areas to clean up. Once that's done, I'll respray the black cockpit parts then fit and mask the windscreen. Hoping to get that sorted tomorrow. Once that's done, it's pretty much it ready for primer. Goodness knows what all those seams will look like once that is on. I fear the worst, though I might just try and hide any issues under some crafty weathering :lol:

A build note - If building the F from the G boxing, you need to retain and fit part D1 (targeting pod pylon) and the pod itself, parts D2-D4. Also do not fit parts S8, T1 or T2.

More soon and stay safe

Dave

• Like 6

• DaveJL changed the title to 1/48 F/A-18F, VFA-103, Inherent Resolve, 2016. Update 23/01.

It's weird how hard you're having to work at this Dave, though I've never built it I get the impression this has been kind of the gold standard F-18 for past twenty years in 1/48 🤔 I guess times have moved on!

Just from all the build threads it looks like Meng has taken the accolade now... disappointed with the Kinetic showing based on Craig's build...if Tamiya had an adventurous bone in their respective bodies, this would seem to be a perfect direction for their next 1/48 project. (But don't get excited, it'll be another sorely needed F-4J 🤣)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Alan P said:

It's weird how hard you're having to work at this Dave, though I've never built it I get the impression this has been kind of the gold standard F-18 for past twenty years in 1/48 🤔 I guess times have moved on!

Just from all the build threads it looks like Meng has taken the accolade now... disappointed with the Kinetic showing based on Craig's build...if Tamiya had an adventurous bone in their respective bodies, this would seem to be a perfect direction for their next 1/48 project. (But don't get excited, it'll be another sorely needed F-4J 🤣)

Not sure what’s going on myself Alan, like I’ve said, I don’t recall having as many issues during my previous builds. I’m maybe not seeing it with the right attitude as I was spoiled with the Tamiya F-14!

That being said its tricky in a few areas, as a few of the other chaps who are building them are experiencing! It’s not a terrible kit, just needs a bit of tender loving care :lol:

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Alan P said:

now those are 2 words that get my heart racing..... Tamiya  & F-4J...... truth be told any 1/48th jet beasty with the words Tamiya in front will do that!  :D   Tamiya F-111 :wub: :pray::pray::pray::pray::pray::pray::pray::pray::pray::pray:

• Haha 2

On 22/01/2022 at 02:37, DaveJL said:

but mustn't get carried away....

Typhoon and F-14D for the bombers GB

Nimrod for the British GB

Something for the Falklands GB

F-104S for the Century Fighters GB

Something for the Canadian GB

F-15(s) for the F-15 GB

Yes, mustn't get carried away :lol:

My kind of list! If you’re going to get carried away you may as well get really carried away!

23 hours ago, DaveJL said:

A build note - If building the F from the G boxing, you need to retain and fit part D1 (targeting pod pylon) and the pod itself, parts D2-D4. Also do not fit parts S8, T1 or T2.

More soon and stay safe

Dave

Hmmmm - targeting Pod - which one is it for Inherent Resolve? Sniper or Litening...either way i don't think I haver one unless I have it in another kit!!!

Or was it this thing by then?

204939-21038-92-pristine.jpg

Spose if I want to load LGBs then I need a pod....

VFA-103-squadron-photo-007.jpg

also - would a load with the centreline A2A refuelling pod ever be combined with bombs...so far they only seem to show them as clean except the pod or with 4 x fuel tanks....apologies to add to your thread but I am no expert on Hornet or Rhino as some call it...

VFA-103-squadron-photo-004.jpg

Edited by Tim Moff

37 minutes ago, Tim Moff said:

Hmmmm - targeting Pod - which one is it for Inherent Resolve? Sniper or Litening...either way i don't think I haver one unless I have it in another kit!!!

also - would a load with the centreline A2A refuelling pod ever be combined with bombs...so far they only seem to show them as clean except the pod or with 4 x fuel tanks....apologies to add to your thread but I am no expert on Hornet or Rhino as some call it...

ATFLIR AN/ASQ-228 is the pod you need and I know that the Meng kit includes one. 

No idea how good the Wolfpack set is.

I can't imagine an aircraft serving as a fuel truck carrying bombs. It just wouldn't make sense. 

Alex

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, trickyrich said:

now those are 2 words that get my heart racing..... Tamiya  & F-4J...... truth be told any 1/48th jet beasty with the words Tamiya in front will do that!  :D   Tamiya F-111 :wub: :pray::pray::pray::pray::pray::pray::pray::pray::pray::pray:

Now an F-111 would be nice! Maybe an A-10 too.. could get carried away here :lol:

15 hours ago, Wings unlevel said:

My kind of list! If you’re going to get carried away you may as well get really carried away!

I agree!

1 hour ago, Tim Moff said:

That would be the right pod mate, at least in appearance anyway, I think there's a new version with updated software etc but externally they look the same.

Re the bombs and refuelling pod, no both would not be carried. I think one or two jets per squadron would be configured as organic tankers for the rest of the fleet jets, as Alex has highlighted below, it wouldn't make sense to have a dual fit!

26 minutes ago, coneheadff said:

ATFLIR AN/ASQ-228 is the pod you need and I know that the Meng kit includes one. 

I can't imagine an aircraft serving as a fuel truck carrying bombs. It just wouldn't make sense. 

Alex

The Wolfpack one is good, a solid bit of resin with no seams *hooray* !

Managed a bit more at the kit today. Coamings resprayed, the ACS and HUD fitted before the canopy parts went on and were masked up. A quick squirt of black for the framing and the rest sprayed over the seams to see how they are. They're not looking too bad, I say tentatively. Only a final coat of primer will reveal if they're up to scratch.

51840557371_05c1ec72de_b.jpg

51840672018_c1fd7a0c3a_b.jpg

51841291375_79a73b174e_b.jpg

To get a bit of love back for this kit, I ordered some new exhausts:

51839615222_5718553a28_b.jpg

I'm only using the exhaust parts and not the trunking etc. They're leaps and bounds ahead of the kit parts:

51840672338_62a77e4b75_b.jpg

All the bits, minus ordnance and pylons, ready to be primed and painted:

51841291190_4ec366188a_b.jpg

Not sure what colour the FOD covers would be; think I might plump with black. Anyway, I hope to get the ordnance painted later this week.

More soon and stay safe

Dave

• Like 5

• DaveJL changed the title to 1/48 F/A-18F, VFA-103, Inherent Resolve, 2016. Update 24/01.

I have to check the Meng exhaust nozzles closely. Don't want to spend money, but the Reskit nozzles just look great.

Dave...Could you do me a favour and make a photo of both nozzles next to each other. And maybe compare the size.

Thanks!!!!!!

1 hour ago, coneheadff said:

I have to check the Meng exhaust nozzles closely. Don't want to spend money, but the Reskit nozzles just look great.

Dave...Could you do me a favour and make a photo of both nozzles next to each other. And maybe compare the size.

Thanks!!!!!!

Meng and Reskit?

On 1/22/2022 at 9:54 PM, DaveJL said:

Maybe if we all write Tamiya a lovely letter, signed in fountain pen, they might tool a few kits for us surely? I’d take a Eurofighter, Superbug, F-35, F-22, F-15, just to start! 

🤣 When that happens, Mr Tamiya will personally deliver them to your door with his fairy wings 🤣🤣🤣

Seriously, I'm surprised they haven't gone down the F-18 route already, it should be a banker in 1/48 after their other recent US Navy releases, what's keeping them?? 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Alan P said:

🤣 When that happens, Mr Tamiya will personally deliver them to your door with his fairy wings 🤣🤣🤣

Seriously, I'm surprised they haven't gone down the F-18 route already, it should be a banker in 1/48 after their other recent US Navy releases, what's keeping them?? 

It would be a good seller that's for sure!

• Like 1

A bit more done over the last two days. Seats were finished first. The detail on the Pavla items is quite soft in places. Luckily the Quinta ejection pulls add a bit of detail to them. I also painted one of the seats with a green seat cushion and black back cushion as per some of the pictures in the Detail and Scale book.

51845509247_51134943a4_b.jpg

51845508812_eb4975eebe_b.jpg

Ordnance was next. From looking at my references, it appears that the GBU-32 & 38 were all grey with the GBU-12 a mixture of all grey, some with green fins, some with green rear sections and so on. The photo below gives a good idea of the colours:

VFA-103-squadron-photo-007.jpg

So I went for a green rear section and front fins on the GBU-12. From the image above, you can also see that the rear guidance units on the GBU-38 (middle right) and GBU-31 in this case (left inner) are very clean compared to the bomb casing. So I attempted something like that:

51845509172_c9478fd989_b.jpg

Quite happy with those. I used a mixture of Abteilung oils and a stubby brush to get the effect. The fuel tank was next and, again from my references, I've seen some really grimy tanks and some very clean tanks. Not being a fan of the latter, I went for something in the middle:

51846550513_22b5f3577a_b.jpg

Flash hides it a bit but you get the idea. I'd noticed that there were some 'clean' patches around the skull and crossbones and a few access panels. This was done by dabbing away the oils with a cotton bud.

51846550698_4252e593f0_b.jpg

To add some additional weathering, I decided to use an image in the Detail and Scale book, showing exposed yellow-green primer  on the rear of the forward sensor housing (when not in use, the housing is always rotated back to protect the sensors) on the AN/ASQ-228(V2) Advanced Tactical FLIR pod (to give it its proper title). I'll just refer to it as the targeting pod :lol:

51845526787_c852a3993b_b.jpg

Tamiya XF-4 Yellow Green dry brushed on. This type of weathering will be repeated in one or two small areas of the airframe later on.

I'll be away from the bench until the tail end of next week as I'm away in London for a few days with the better half from Saturday.

More soon and stay safe

Dave

• Like 8

• DaveJL changed the title to 1/48 F/A-18F, VFA-103, Inherent Resolve, 2016. Update 27/01.
On 1/25/2022 at 4:04 AM, Tim Moff said:

yeah that's the thingy you need, the Hasegawa supplied one is ok, but lacks the detail, that Wolfpack one is lovely, I used it on my last F Superbug........ though is a bit hard to find at the moment.... well I'm finding it hard.

On 1/25/2022 at 4:45 AM, coneheadff said:

Alex

It's very nice, though the fit of the pylon to fuselage needs a wee bit of work for a clean fit.

Looking really nice Dave!! :thumbsup:  I really need to untangle myself from my Phantom and continue mine.

Oh and my new tail cans have arrived, will post pics later, they are really nicely detailed...... though need to be fit the price! :whistle:

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, trickyrich said:

yeah that's the thingy you need, the Hasegawa supplied one is ok, but lacks the detail, that Wolfpack one is lovely, I used it on my last F Superbug........ though is a bit hard to find at the moment.... well I'm finding it hard.

It's very nice, though the fit of the pylon to fuselage needs a wee bit of work for a clean fit.

Looking really nice Dave!! :thumbsup:  I really need to untangle myself from my Phantom and continue mine.

Oh and my new tail cans have arrived, will post pics later, they are really nicely detailed...... though need to be fit the price! :whistle:

Cheers Rich. I think I have an old Wolfpack one from years ago which came off a damaged build but no idea what spares box it's in :lol:. For all you see of it, I'm happy to stick with the kit one. There's definitely an opening for other Aftermarket manufacturers to cast a new pod though!

• Like 2