1/48 F/A-18F, VFA-103, Inherent Resolve, 2016. Finished 23/02.

DaveJL

Hello all,

Here is my entry for this GB - Hasegawa's 1/48 E/A-18G refitted as an F/A-18F of VFA-103 'Jolly Rogers' during Operation Inherent Resolve in 2016. The Growler boxing has all the necessary bits in the box to make an F model, details of which I'll highlight during the build as it will involve ignoring the instructions at certain points. It also comes with the added bonus of moulded late-style ECS pipes

Kit:

51797609749_b983f758ab_b.jpg

51797241781_79f6b01630_b.jpg

Extras:

51797241651_3d73203e9c_b.jpg

I'll be using Phase Hanger seamless intakes, Quinta cockpit set, Pavla seats, canopy rails and details from an Aires cockpit set, Eduard mask, Attack Squadron GBU-32s and Furball decals. I've also ordered a set of Brassin GBU-38s, which will complete a load out of 2x GBU-32, 2x GBU-38, 1x GBU-12 (from the spares), 1x AIM-9X and 1x fuel tank.

Decals:

51797974830_9971b7b66f_b.jpg

51797610474_77b4d42c5e_b.jpg

Will be going for a low-viz option - BuNo 166613 which looked to have had a busy cruise!

References:

51796296022_ca966eea13_b.jpg

Here's a shot of 166613 during the cruise:

VFA-103-squadron-photo-012.jpg

Note the gloss black tank....may give me an idea 🤔

And a general shot of the load out. You can just about see the 2 GBU-38 on the right wing as you look at it:

VFA-103-squadron-photo-008.jpg

Cheers and stay safe

Dave

• Like 14

Looks like a nice project Dave, think you're throwing more aftermarket at yours than Rich!

That decal sheet looks really nice and has a couple of options I wouldn't mind building myself at some point, it should also provide you with the markings for the fuel tank which will look good on an otherwise grey jet.

Popcorn at the ready! :popcorn:

very nice selection/choice Dave, gets the trickyrich stamp of approval!! :thumbsup:

My only comments would be to ditch the Aires cockpit, it's bound to be painful and the Quinta will tart it up very nicely with a lot less pain.... and not having to reduce everything to paper thin thickness to get it to fit! 

I didn't think about the seamless intakes.  The only other thing I could think of adding is new exhaust cans, the kit ones do look very basic. Only issue here is no one makes them for the Hasegawa model, and if you try to fit one for another model you then have the issue with the rear elevators (I found that out with the Superbug I built last year!). I have made the mistake this time again, bought some only now to realize they are for the Revell model! That said I have found a set of nozzles only from MK1 Design, on evilBay of course :D, that should do the trick just nicely.

Anyway, good luck with this build, really looking forward to seeing what you do with it, this has to be one of Hasegawa's better/great models!

13 minutes ago, trickyrich said:

very nice selection/choice Dave, gets the trickyrich stamp of approval!! :thumbsup:

My only comments would be to ditch the Aires cockpit, it's bound to be painful and the Quinta will tart it up very nicely with a lot less pain.... and not having to reduce everything to paper thin thickness to get it to fit! 

I didn't think about the seamless intakes.  The only other thing I could think of adding is new exhaust cans, the kit ones do look very basic. Only issue here is no one makes them for the Hasegawa model, and if you try to fit one for another model you then have the issue with the rear elevators (I found that out with the Superbug I built last year!). I have made the mistake this time again, bought some only now to realize they are for the Revell model! That said I have found a set of nozzles only from MK1 Design, on evilBay of course :D, that should do the trick just nicely.

Anyway, good luck with this build, really looking forward to seeing what you do with it, this has to be one of Hasegawa's better/great models!

Cheers Rich!

I'm not using the Aires tub or IPs, only using the canopy rails and details. I've had the set for a ages so may as well make some use of it!

I've built a few of them and always find a bit of filler is needed, particularly around the LEX and nose areas, but other than that as you say, it's a fine kit!

Nice collection Dave!

Started almost the "same set" couple of years ago, but the Aires pit and the idea to fit resin early ECS outlets halted the build and it went back to the shelf.

I just can't remember which resin exhausts I planed to use...only remember that they were blue coloured 🤔

I will try something similar only this time using the MENG kit and Fightertown decals for an early OIF bird.

Good luck with your build Dave! Will definitely follow you.

Alex

21 hours ago, DaveJL said:

Hello all,

Here is my entry for this GB - Hasegawa's 1/48 E/A-18G refitted as an F/A-18F of VFA-103 'Jolly Rogers' during Operation Inherent Resolve in 2016. The Growler boxing has all the necessary bits in the box to make an F model, details of which I'll highlight during the build as it will involve ignoring the instructions at certain points. It also comes with the added bonus of moulded late-style ECS pipes

Kit:

Extras:

I'll be using Phase Hanger seamless intakes, Quinta cockpit set, Pavla seats, canopy rails and details from an Aires cockpit set, Eduard mask, Attack Squadron GBU-32s and Furball decals. I've also ordered a set of Brassin GBU-38s, which will complete a load out of 2x GBU-32, 2x GBU-38, 1x GBU-12 (from the spares), 1x AIM-9X and 1x fuel tank.

Decals:

Will be going for a low-viz option - BuNo 166613 which looked to have had a busy cruise!

References:

And a general shot of the load out. You can just about see the 2 GBU-38 on the right wing as you look at it:

Cheers and stay safe

Dave

Looks great - our tastes just keep colliding ! I have ordered the same decals to go with an Academy/Italeri kit....as ever I will watch along, I have yet to decide which airframe to build but note you are going low profile! 

Some  great pics on this site:

https://www.seaforces.org/usnair/VFA/Strike-Fighter-Squadron-103.htm

I was thinking about the Quinta 3D decals for mine, not sure if they will fit the Italeri moulds - will need to check...my kit did come with the Hase masks so hopefully they will...

• Like 2

21 hours ago, coneheadff said:

Nice collection Dave!

Started almost the "same set" couple of years ago, but the Aires pit and the idea to fit resin early ECS outlets halted the build and it went back to the shelf.

I just can't remember which resin exhausts I planed to use...only remember that they were blue coloured 🤔

I will try something similar only this time using the MENG kit and Fightertown decals for an early OIF bird.

Good luck with your build Dave! Will definitely follow you.

Alex

Cheers Alex, retro-fitting the resin ECS pipes is a royal pain In the backside, that's why I'm glad the E/A-18 has all the right parts and now of course we have the Meng/HB offering so can finally get nice single seaters with the late ECS pipes!

3 hours ago, Tim Moff said:

Looks great - our tastes just keep colliding ! I have ordered the same decals to go with an Academy/Italeri kit....as ever I will watch along, I have yet to decide which airframe to build but note you are going low profile! 

Some  great pics on this site:

https://www.seaforces.org/usnair/VFA/Strike-Fighter-Squadron-103.htm

I was thinking about the Quinta 3D decals for mine, not sure if they will fit the Italeri moulds - will need to check...my kit did come with the Hase masks so hopefully they will...

Cheers Tim, I'm sure the Quinta set will fit with some careful fettling.

4 hours ago, DaveJL said:

Cheers Alex, retro-fitting the resin ECS pipes is a royal pain In the backside, that's why I'm glad the E/A-18 has all the right parts and now of course we have the Meng/HB offering so can finally get nice single seaters with the late ECS pipes!

Cheers Tim, I'm sure the Quinta set will fit with some careful fettling.

Somewhat ironically, if you want to build a late F from the HB offering, you need to buy their G as well (or an aftermarket pit). They only put the ACS pit in the G so their F is only correct for the very small number of airframes with the early pit and late ECS pipes.

Meng got it right 😉

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Adam Maas said:

Somewhat ironically, if you want to build a late F from the HB offering, you need to buy their G as well (or an aftermarket pit). They only put the ACS pit in the G so their F is only correct for the very small number of airframes with the early pit and late ECS pipes.

Meng got it right 😉

Really????

Oh boy...I don't need the late ECS stakes, but the ACS. But I think I have a late resin pit. Have to check the decals and the aftermarket stuff I have. 

16 hours ago, Adam Maas said:

Meng got it right 😉

I'll avoid HB then! The Meng E model looks very nice indeed.

1 hour ago, coneheadff said:

Aaaah...right, Adam ment the HB kit. I'm on the safe side cause I have the Meng kit.

It looks to be the best of the single seaters given that it has both types of ECS pipes/vents and plenty of ordnance!

On 1/3/2022 at 7:45 PM, DaveJL said:

Hello all,

Kit:

Extras:

Decals:

References:

Cheers and stay safe

Dave

Interesting loadout - you mounting the GBU-38s on a twin mount or singularly on each pylon?

Theres a good link below showing how USAF/USN versions are slightly different if interested

http://thecombatworkshop.blogspot.com/2018/04/gbu-38-500-lb-jdam.html

Edited by Tim Moff
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, Tim Moff said:

Interesting loadout - you mounting the GBU-38s on a twin mount or singularly on each pylon?

Theres a good link below showing how USAF/USN versions are slightly different if interested

http://thecombatworkshop.blogspot.com/2018/04/gbu-38-500-lb-jdam.html

Individual, the dual racks were more commonly seen on later cruises, VFA-213 during 2017 comes to mind!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Anatol Pigwa said:

Great to have you with us Dave,

this is promising to be a very interting build with quite a loadout. The VFA-103 in quite popular in this STGB who would have though!  

Thanks mate!

A bit of a start made while I'm working on the F-14. The Eduard GBU-38s arrived:

51817002705_ccb436dffd_b.jpg

Very nicely detailed with subtle thermal 'paste' on the bomb body. Quickly built up alongside the rest of the ordnance. The GBU-32s were a pain with the fiddly etched vanes.

51816284411_f44e68169d_b.jpg

The kits AIM-9Xs aren't great so I replaced it with one from Hasegawa weapons set E. The GBU-12 is from a Tamiya F-14 and as you can see, the fuel tank and targeting pod require some filler to clean up nasty seam lines.

That's it, I'm sure you're delighted you checked in for that update :lol:

More soon and stay safe

Dave

• Like 3

• DaveJL changed the title to 1/48 F/A-18F, VFA-103, Inherent Resolve, 2016. Update 12/01.
1 minute ago, gingerbob said:

Well, it did make me appreciate once again my choice to do a nice clean subject, without stuff hanging all over it!

Some use at least! As I was applying that etch, I was considering the same :lol:

Don't know how I managed to build 10 of the blighters on a previous Super Hornet build!

• Haha 1