Good Morning Mr Kennedy.....

Good evening,

Early on the morning of August 13th, 1943, off Kolombangara Island in the Solomons, IJN destroyer Amagiri 'met' with USN PT109.

Commanded by Lt John F Kennedy, PT109 soon sank, the surviving crew escaped to surrounding islands.

Amagiri is a Yamashita kit, with railings from a generic set. PT boat is from Pit-Road, with a scratch built 57mm gun on bow. Base is from Coastal Kits, and figures from Eduard.

This is my second ship kit in 43 years, so definitely  part of a steep learning curve....(and a steep photo curve as well)

Last two pics are of my first ship kit, Hasegawa IJN Destroyer Momo, with 5-Star etch. Bendy masts were part of the learning curve....

Any comments welcome...

Cheers

DaveH

y4mJ0cj1baZK47etS9Lme7Ll3qIP8iUAofP8FuuU

y4msUeIsNsN2Ru_pQpJ6nJ8cLyNFxKqPJot1sZ-F

y4mxhRJoMeBvk8I0MwjIRA6iYimj6CSjnyDWWSdH

y4mirt9Gb2RvkXbpa2dbaPIcdMD2ZXVu7gOZTGOI

y4mHK_iuOOFvpt4EaQyb7pmygw1wwqwdnGUdpKMD

y4mIfMxtTbmvxmktZnKNdB6zrUB8eVVNRqkYKH5Q

y4m234_XaoeS-G3Z6MvD04OSJvQrDuRL-1wd9PiG

• Like 34
  • Thanks 1

I really like this. The elegant destroyer on the calm sea seems so serene, and then the eye drifts along the wake to see the turmoil in the water. I believe it was dark at the time of the collision? Did the Japanese ship even know they had sunk PT-109? It's a lovely little diorama and tells the story well.

I would make one small suggestion. The American sailors on the deck of their boat seem to be perpendicular to the deck rather than standing vertically. It's a small thing but they are exactly the point  where the viewer's eye comes to rest and they look a little odd. Are they bendable?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Adm Lord De Univers said:

quite an amazing rescue by their famous commander.

Apparently his back illness was crippling JFK at the time due to the bumpy ride in the PT boats, but he just kept that to himself. A politician who actually was a proper modest hero. I know he had his faults but, blimey, the world needs people like that.

• Like 2

Uh Mr President, there appears to be a tiny hole in our boat, nothing to worry about though...

These are really nice scenes, first ships for 43 years - great work. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...