1/72 Hasegawa EA-18G

Adam Maas

15 minutes ago, Pappy said:

G'day Adam, I think you may have one of the antennas incorrectly orientated. The 'D' shaped antenna on the left rear fuselage aft of the flap should have the straight edge to the rear and the curved edge facing forwards. It seems yours is facing backwards? Could just be the photo though...

cheers,

Pappy

Good catch, I oopsed and that side was put on wrong, I got it correct on the other side.

Will get it fixed.

Well, now I've run into an issue that will require some actual modelling. Not Hasegawa's fault, but probably mine.

Part S19 has gone missing. That's one of the 4 small bits that make up the altered dogtooth on the Growler. Specifically the top starboard wing portion.

Luckily I do have the matching lower starboard bit, so I've installed it and masked and puttied off where S19 would be and will re-create out of Mr. Dissolved Putty.

The missing bit:

y4mns_J7F4MztGx5wKyQKV_bB2-6CXblEkbrdDPE

What it should look like

y4mAGutI7ZOEWylZsfqEmvPDYR5jUqHEIIEgZJNE

Masked off to shape

y4mb51qZd07O_YntQvyarqlvy69KMUDHT0MSQxeA

And puttied

y4mZB8-Vr98VjTqP3-Ei_z02jTGP2_3OMaW4Meh5

Oh, and I fixed the backwards antenna Pappy noted. Thanks!

y4mscmcD53SqqDDi7ggjNa7NEHManP-JoItxEQjI

• Like 5

A little touchup painting on the cockpit while I wait for the putty to harden

y4me91-ADzF8otMwPnmNtZ4F8-u2oTyv1oVEK4qi

And painted up the HUD as well. 

y4mRWAYyLHFnY0kV8p05-lJvSR1hT7OPw48bea9x

Windscreen will get prepped next, and then I'll start prepping for paint. I've located some possibilities for an approximate match to FS35240, the lighter blue on this scheme.

• Like 4

More canopy work. I'm trying a bit of a different technique for the hood, outlining with Tamiya flexible tape then filling with the regular stuff. I've always used the regular stuff only until this build.

y4mLAj6TdaW26JwsuwQPBkNXCToL_Ke_gVwIwg2I

Then a little extra tape thrown on so I can paint the edges of the windscreen and hood when I shoot the interior colour

y4m1IK3MzXZ9PkgKLQr4l_nyWl47OKH995mEIq6C

Next up I'm shooting paint, then I'll temporarily install the hood so I can start paintwork on the aircraft.

• Like 6

Shot some test strips on a paint mule and I have an adequate match to FS35240

AK11845 RAF Azure Blue is what I'm going with. It's a little more Blue than the FS35240 swatch on the decal instructions, but close enough for me.

• Like 1

First coat of primer is down, and yep. Stuff to fix.

y4mxXmkqs02bszGEhCmSKy78s5C4v-ye_GJ-UXII

I'm not happy with the wing joins, the centre barrel join need work underneath and several little things at the nose need attention.

Putty!

y4m9r6UgZIT00x06Z05yHIjST9tLPy0H78uKKrrv

Needed to shoot a white fin cap for my current KUTA build, so I addressed the gear bays at the same time

y4m5wsSci5Q2kNibTEmxb6euo5PzwmlmPGZOGD7F

Next up - more primer.

• Like 5

18 hours ago, Adam Maas said:

First coat of primer is down, and yep. Stuff to fix.

Putty!

Next up - more primer.

This seems to be a common pattern for this kit 😟 keep plugging away Adam!

6 hours ago, Alan P said:

This seems to be a common pattern for this kit 😟 keep plugging away Adam!

I'm not complaining too much, that's what the first coat of primer is for. It shows me what I missed on bare plastic 🙂

The kit is IMHO over-rated, but it's certainly a decent enough kit. My complaints are more about the early 90's level of detail than the fit (which is adequate).

Got all the primer fixed up. Started shooting the Light Ghost Grey lowers.

Gaps around the wheel wells as I'll mask them temporarily then shoot those sections and do any touch ups needed.

This was the old MM Acryl paint. Not sure how many different paint brands I'm up to so far on this build. Think I'll end up with Tamiya, 3 flavours of AK (Xtreme Metal, Real Color and 3rd Gen Acrylic), MM Acryl, Vallejo in at least one flavour and if I'm really lucky, I used some Italeri in there somewhere.

• 2 weeks later...

More updates tomorrow. Finished off the 36375 and am starting on the light blue (RAF Azure Blue is what I'm using)

It's an interesting scheme to paint, mixture of hard edge and soft edge, even more so than the stock scheme is.

Edited by Adam Maas
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Shot some touchups of the FS36375, and then started to experiment with the AK 3rd gen Acrylics.

Think I have it sorted, it likes to be much thinner and lower pressure than I usually go, but with the extra thinning and a couple drops of flow improver, it went on beautifully. 

This is the topside colour, as I wanted to shoot something that didn't require delicate control, and the 'Intermediate' Blue on the sides/underside is all precision work. Both are AK 3rd Gen paints.

y4mnTN8Gx9idSMts7xscASKkEiwbGvZ7wO4X3gYZ

• Like 3

And my paint match challenges are back.

Was looking up reference photos for this bird, to verify what antenna bits are in 36375 and I noticed the contrast was much stronger than what I was seeing on my paint job.

My paints match the reference sheet decently, they don't match the pictures.

So out came the Tamiya Sky Blue for the middle colour. It's not dead on, but it's a lot closer than the Azure Blue was.

y4mnkS_rGEPhiwG6qbbCwXOisNJU_jw4aZG3l6EH

Not sure about top colour yet. Either XF-17 or AK Dark Sea Blue I think.

• Like 1

Went for Italeri Blue Angels Blue for the top colour. Seems a decent match

y4mrWjVD4Yvh0P5fE8M6As7uaH4zABGZ7V_sLzHC

And yeah, some issues to fix. The Italeri paint is a touch fragile and is not the best match to Stylnrez/One-Shot primer

Taped up the first round of fixes

y4moO7vpWnDLhWfdXByX1wUx6zWjtaOkbCyxk-75

And the result

y4m7U2z0Z0Ij-AmAEr0n73ULppHPXV251kVLS9K0

I'll fix the second round once it's had a chance to dry down

Also primered and shot the gear and gear door insides. Using Vallejo Game Air White for this, it covers very well

y4m9K01fFIuoDqu3pAAXkTbg_oZbHXw4MerGZHTG

• Like 3