F-4F Experimental Scheme - Italeri 1/72eme

Hello!

Newcomer in the forum, I don't know exactly what NOT to do... So I apologize in advance for any wrong doing in the forum...

My first topic in this forum is a Phabulous Phantom, German version which come from an old Italeri box, sold as an E/F/G I bought from Internet some years ago trying desperately to find a decent F-4E (e.g. Hasegawa...) unfortunately out of stock...Of course, after looking to the sprues, what a disappointment...However and knowing that now better kits have finally been released I stupidly challenged myself to build that one "close to something looking like  Phantom", so the list of modifications I made and time spent is endless! For those who are interested, I can provide what I did.

Originally I wanted to represent an F-4F from Holloman to stick to my theme but I changed my mind and I selected one of the most attractive experimental camouflage pattern (to my opinion) designed by the german air force in the 80's when they received their Phantom. The name is "cockchafer". Decals are homemade, the pattern comes from the book "AIRDOC #9, German Phantoms".

I hope you will enjoy the pics and happy modeling!

Here is the true thing:

spacer.png

Here is my version:

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 36

Wow! What a phantastic phantom. I remember seeing this scheme back in the 80s...but it was short lived as i recall? Welcome to the forum.... especially with finished builds of this quality. Looking forward to more of the same please 😁👍👍

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, PATRICK FROM THE SANDS said:

This kit gave me some hard times and I am still looking for THE F-4E at that scale... 

Phabulous. :goodjob:

Try FineMolds for the best F-4 in 1/72.

Chris

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Chrisj2003 said:

Phabulous. :goodjob:

Try FineMolds for the best F-4 in 1/72.

Chris

Thank you Much! I read somewhere that the latest FM F-4E looks great but has some issues with the canopy position 🤨. I need to investigate if it's true/false 🧐 

Patrick

6 hours ago, Vultures1 said:

That's a very phine Phantom indeed! You've clearly done a lot of work to get a decent representation from the Italeri kit and the camo scheme is excellent. 

I agree with @Chrisj2003, try the Fine Molds F-4 for the best Phantom currently on the market in 1/72

Thank you! just to explain a little bit, I wanted to save money and reduce the PE/ resin parts slice on that kit so I decided to take some spares pieces (plenty) from some Hasegawa F-4 to enrich the basic italeri model: Ejection seats, wheels & wheel wells, top of the fin, and exhaust nozzles; I rebuilt from scratch the full cockpit as the Taurus canopy is very clear and show all details inside. The big part was to rebuild/reshape the intakes which have a wrong shape, so I took the Fujimi ones instead of the originals. On the wings, I cut-off the original L/E slats and scratch them to better represent the true thing. I also added the folding mechanism which is totally absent on the Italeri kit. The tanks are Fujimi, the inner pylons are made from scratch (the original one is into the bin) and finally the stabilizers are changed as the F-4F has no slatted stabilizers. 

I know that this could be silly 🤪 but I don't like to throw away kits as here, in Abu Dhabi, there is nothing like that...😒

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, PATRICK FROM THE SANDS said:

I read somewhere that the latest FM F-4E looks great but has some issues with the canopy position 🤨.

Does it look unbuildable and completely wrong to you? No? Then why worry? :P

• Thanks 1