(Almost) Ready for photo flight: 1/48 Hasegawa „World Hornet“ - Swiss F/A-18D, J-5232

Sam

Weathering in progress

p?i=d1a6148e4949282e03a44e112ca5f2bf

p?i=948cba015bb28ea775eeac003e9d9733

Loadout:

2 AIM-120C

2 Meteor BVRAAM

2 AIM-9X

p?i=2af847b4ef1ae4b4801c9b88aad1bb72

they are not weathered yet

(no, Switzerland doesn‘t (yet?) use Meteors. Might fit them to the F-35s though. Hopefully. )

next up:

weathering the belly

add a final matt varnish

finish and mount exhaust nozzles 

do the lighting

clean up the canopy

make the stand

• Like 5

p?i=fcbedd63760b69ec6aeb385d34cb4331

and there she flies, with an old friend of hers. 

🇨🇭 

I am desperately looking for a Swiss 1/48 scale F-5E with the sharknose, so to re-establish the „holy trinity“. Does anybody know whether there will be a future release of such a thing? All the  existing kits seem to be sold out. 

• Like 3

• Sam changed the title to (Almost) Ready for photo flight: 1/48 Hasegawa „World Hornet“ - Swiss F/A-18D, J-5232

A superb result Sam, she looks fantastic.

Nice to see her with the Mirage IIIS, that looks really nice too.

As for the AFV Club F-5E the only way I know of to get hold of one would be Ebay, and they're not cheap either. I think there is one on the UK site now which I would be more than happy to bid on for you but I imagine the tracked postage to Switzerland would cost a bit too.

🇺🇦

• Thanks 1

Thanks guys for the comments!

This was my first group build. I enjoyed it a lot, you‘re a great community and fun to share this hobby with. I learned a lot from you guys, and even managed to help out a little here and there. Plus the fact that the build was somewhat public pushed me to try and achieve a little more. 

As for the kit I have no complaints. Except the aged old decals, which gave me my first experience with decal silvering (solution: overpainted the critical spots with oil paint during weathering stage. Heard of using tamiya extra thin cement, but didn‘t dare. )

Nice of hasegawa to include the pilots. However, why don‘t they fit into the cockpit unless mutilated?

Aftermarket components: 

First experience with in and on the aircraft skin PE parts. Room for improvement here. Take home message: do not use normal superglue, but the glue Alan P uses. This is to avoid unclean glue spots, which can partially fill up for example mesh parts. 

The eduard ordnance needs not to be commented on, top as usual. I wanted to mention the Meteor missiles: bought at hannant‘s. Seems like a member of britmodeler created them? If you read this: Thanks very much, top job! (Maybe get syhart to do the decals for it, there are none included at the moment). 

Paints used: all vallejo, I know there is a controversy going on about them, but I am happy with them. Curing time seems to be key. 

All in all, I had a lot of fun with this build, and I‘d like to thank you guys for showing interest in my creations. Well, it‘s your fault: i will stick around 😎

Next on the list: clean up the work place. And then dive into research and planning for my next build: a Wild Weasel Thud for the century fighters GB. Looking forward to it, it‘s a massive machine with a massive mission. And my first attempt at the SEA camouflage. 

Edited by Sam
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, exdraken said:

very nice result!

congrats!

and I especially do like the Mirage IIIS in the background!! (Kinetic??)

Thank you exdraken!

Yes the Miro is the kinetic kit. Lots of filling and sanding. But fun anyway. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, modelling minion said:

A superb result Sam, she looks fantastic.

Nice to see her with the Mirage IIIS, that looks really nice too.

As for the AFV Club F-5E the only way I know of to get hold of one would be Ebay, and they're not cheap either. I think there is one on the UK site now which I would be more than happy to bid on for you but I imagine the tracked postage to Switzerland would cost a bit too.

🇺🇦

Craig, many thanks for your generous offer. 
On hindsight, my stash has grown huge enough, I shall refrain from adding kits to it. Maybe one day some manufacturer will release a new F-5E series, who knows. 

• Like 1