Kinetic 1/48 F/A-18A ex US Navy adversary in Spanish service.

16 hours ago, trickyrich said:

nice work on getting the canopy sorted out...... but you're right, you should have issues like this with a model kit!!

16 hours ago, Bertie Psmith said:

I do like that deceptive painting scheme. Very classy. 

well done for the canopy. I hate messing with clear parts, they are so fragile!

Cheers guys, I am always wary of doing much work around canopies as they are by their nature fragile and easily ruined.

8 hours ago, John Masters said:

This is looking excellent Craig.  I am also looking forward to the desert camo...despite the mauve!😉

Thanks John, think I will have to copyright the mauve primer!😁

• Like 1

Like @DaveJLs build, it's really disappointing what a struggle this kit has been for you to build, I'd have expected better for a modern release 🤔

Nevertheless, you're conquering it very nicely!

• Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, Lex77 said:

Some nice progress on this one Craig!

Thanks mate, she's getting there slowly.

8 minutes ago, Alan P said:

Like @DaveJLs build, it's really disappointing what a struggle this kit has been for you to build, I'd have expected better for a modern release 🤔

Nevertheless, you're conquering it very nicely!

Thanks Alan, I expected better myself, hopefully the worst is behind me.

• Like 1

Just catching up on this one Craig, looks like it's been a slog for you too! I had read in some reviews that Kinetic's kits were nice, particularly their ATARS D model. Your experience would suggest otherwise! You've done a cracking job on it thus far!

Maybe Tamiya could do us a Legacy Hornet too :lol:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I’d love to say that the struggle will make it more rewarding, but generally it doesn’t and it’s just annoying isn’t it? It’s definitely looking very good despite everything though. Love that scheme too.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, DaveJL said:

Just catching up on this one Craig, looks like it's been a slog for you too! I had read in some reviews that Kinetic's kits were nice, particularly their ATARS D model. Your experience would suggest otherwise! You've done a cracking job on it thus far!

Maybe Tamiya could do us a Legacy Hornet too :lol:

Cheers Dave, really don't trust the reviews mate, the kit has some nice details to it but really is a pig to build.

Wouldn't it be great if Tamiya did both legacy and Super Hornets, have to think that they would be good sellers for them.

6 hours ago, Filler said:

I’d love to say that the struggle will make it more rewarding, but generally it doesn’t and it’s just annoying isn’t it? It’s definitely looking very good despite everything though. Love that scheme too.

I agree completely, I have not enjoyed this and do not feel good about it. My next Hornet will be either Hasegawa or HobbyBoss, even though the HB kit has some accuracy issues it will at least build easily.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Col. said:

Well done for persevering with this one Craig. Many of us would have positioned it on the Shame Shelf a while back :goodjob:

Cheers Col, it has come close a couple of times I assure you. To add insult to injury I am having real trouble with the paint, Hataka paint and I have had this before with them, impossible to get the right consistency, either too thick and spatters like the Spitting Image puppet of Roy Hattersley or too thin and its like spraying water, the curse of the Kinetic Hornet continues!!!!

On 1/25/2022 at 5:17 PM, modelling minion said:

Cheers Dave, really don't trust the reviews mate, the kit has some nice details to it but really is a pig to build.

Wouldn't it be great if Tamiya did both legacy and Super Hornets, have to think that they would be good sellers for them.

I agree completely, I have not enjoyed this and do not feel good about it. My next Hornet will be either Hasegawa or HobbyBoss, even though the HB kit has some accuracy issues it will at least build easily.

18 hours ago, modelling minion said:

Cheers Col, it has come close a couple of times I assure you. To add insult to injury I am having real trouble with the paint, Hataka paint and I have had this before with them, impossible to get the right consistency, either too thick and spatters like the Spitting Image puppet of Roy Hattersley or too thin and its like spraying water, the curse of the Kinetic Hornet continues!!!!

I dislike them too craig.

not your easiest build this one mate.

you need to do the tamiya phantom after this build craig and dress it with tamiya paints too

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Dansk said:

I dislike them too craig.

not your easiest build this one mate.

you need to do the tamiya phantom after this build craig and dress it with tamiya paints too

Thanks Paul, I have decided to leave this alone for a couple of days as I am just not enjoying anything about it.

I think something like a nice Tamiya Phantom would me good mojo restorer, pity I haven't got one.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, modelling minion said:

Thanks Paul, I have decided to leave this alone for a couple of days as I am just not enjoying anything about it.

I think something like a nice Tamiya Phantom would me good mojo restorer, pity I haven't got one.

Probably a good idea to have a few days break from that kit mate. 👍

Close your eyes and Press the button on the Phantom. You’ll never regret it and enjoy every second of it. I audibly emitted a few “wow”s building it with the fall into place incredible precision fits. Life’s too short. We spend so much time and love on these things so why waste time on bad kits that make us unhappy.

Then join us and build it in the ground attack GB. 😎

Paul

(Tamiya’s ‘sales rep of the year 2021’)

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

22 minutes ago, Dansk said:

cool 👍

avoid kinetic 😳

Yeah, don't need reminding of that, trouble is I've got other Kinetic kits (not Hornets) in the stash.

15 minutes ago, Lex77 said:

Hataka paint and me are no friends either!

Tried to use them once and had the same problems you have.

Glad I'm not alone Lex, it does actually help to know that others have had the same issues and that I'm not as big an idiot as I could be, though I am obviously an idiot.😉

4 minutes ago, modelling minion said:

Yeah, don't need reminding of that, trouble is I've got other Kinetic kits (not Hornets) in the stash.

sell the lot on ebay, buy a tamiya phantom with the rewards. where’s the problem? 😀

• Haha 2

So some one needs convincing they need to buy a Tamiya Phantom????

Come talk to old uncle Rich!! :D  There are some things in life you want to do and some you have to do....the Tamiya Phantom falls into the latter! Life is too short to not build one.

You know Uncle Rich's Model Therapy & AM clinic now is open daily, sound advice for those lost modelling souls.....!

Now you'll need AM to go with that and you've come to the right place to find that as well...... just leave you back details and again Uncle Rich will hook you up!! :thumbsup:

......and yes I probably would have binned it much earlier in the piece........ I think my AMK F-14 should join it on the naughty never to be seen again shelf.

But you could consider this build a soul building exercise? :whistle: 

scary thing is I have one of their F-16's in the stash....... should I sell it/trade it in for a Tamiya beast?? Am selling my F-104G from them.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

10 hours ago, trickyrich said:

So some one needs convincing they need to buy a Tamiya Phantom????

Its not me that needs convincing, don't worry I will get my grubby little hands on one soon.

Uncle Rich's Model Therapy & AM clinic now is open daily

Yes but it's fees are extortionate!

should I sell it/trade it in for a Tamiya beast?

I think you already know the answer to that one!

Am selling my F-104G from them.

I have a couple of them! Its one that is supposed to be very good but I have to say that I am very wary of it now.

• Haha 2

12 hours ago, modelling minion said:

..good mojo restorer, pity I haven't got one.

Boy, there's a goldmine for Gunze (or whatever the company is branded now) - "Mr Mojo Restorer". 

I feel your pain, but I also know that you can recover!

bob

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

31 minutes ago, gingerbob said:

Boy, there's a goldmine for Gunze (or whatever the company is branded now) - "Mr Mojo Restorer". 

I feel your pain, but I also know that you can recover!

bob

Thanks Bob, yes I won't bin it but just need a bit of a break from things being a pain that usually aren't an issue.

• Sad 1