Kinetic 1/48 F/A-18A ex US Navy adversary in Spanish service.

12 hours ago, Bertie Psmith said:

These are not the kits I am looking for. I think I will strike Kinetic off the list of manufacturers that I can cope with. Your determination is impressive, MM!

Yeah, they aren't typically my go-to for mainstream subjects.  Though that said, I may be tackling their A-6 here pending on the completion of my F-4.

• Like 1

On 1/18/2022 at 2:24 PM, modelling minion said:

Thanks guys very much appreciated.

I took a break from the front canopy yesterday and decided that I should make like Mick Jagger suggested and give her an over all coat of black to act as a primer and to show any areas that needed more filling and sanding (fortunately I seem to have done a decent job first time round and don't think any more is required) and also to use as a black base to build up the colours on. She looks quite good in black;

spacer.png

spacer.png

I suppose I ought to go back and try and tackle the front canopy section but I am struggling with enthusiasm today and am finding it easier to sit on the computer looking at potential builds for the Bombers GB and new and interesting things to spend more money on.

Thanks for looking in and as usual all comments and criticisms are gratefully received.

looking good craig but are you seeing black?

I’m seeing mauve?

Is this one of those famous ‘that gold dress’ things?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_dress

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Dansk said:

looking good craig but are you seeing black?

I’m seeing mauve?

Definitely black Paul, I think the camera couldn't cope with the fact that the sun was shining, it had been a while!

This kit is almost as good as your Mitchell in places, not one for you if looking for a straight forward stress free build.

• Like 1

On 1/18/2022 at 1:24 PM, modelling minion said:

She looks quite good in black;

spacer.png

spacer.png

I would swear that's purple too :lol: it's all come together really well though 👍

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, modelling minion said:

Definitely black Paul, I think the camera couldn't cope with the fact that the sun was shining, it had been a while!

This kit is almost as good as your Mitchell in places, not one for you if looking for a straight forward stress free build.

seriously thats crazy if you guys see black.

I have this kit in the stash, looks like it will be staying there for a while longer.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Dansk said:

seriously thats crazy if you guys see black

I agree that in the pics it looks almost purple, but it is definitely black.

4 minutes ago, Dansk said:

I have this kit in the stash, looks like it will be staying there for a while longer.

Ebay the bloody thing and buy a Hasegawa one with the money you get. I had really high hopes and wanted to get more because there are a few legacy Hornets that I want to build, especially after reading some reviews that sing the kits praises. I am very disappointed with it.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, modelling minion said:

Ebay the bloody thing and buy a Hasegawa one with the money you get. I had really high hopes and wanted to get more because there are a few legacy Hornets that I want to build, especially after reading some reviews that sing the kits praises. I am very disappointed with it.

well you’ve made a great job of her Craig despite it.

seems we can’t trust reviews.

Hope the 1/32 hk mitchell is good, it cost me an arm and a leg.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, modelling minion said:

Oof! Not a ringing endorsement then! :lol: Mind you, I'd have to say the same for the Revell SH I'm doing, not for the casual/interested builder at all! One day a Trumpeter SH might fall into my lap, but now I've built the Revell twice, that's enough for this lifetime...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, Dansk said:

Unfortunately this seems to be very true.

11 hours ago, Alan P said:

Oof! Not a ringing endorsement then!

Definitely not Alan. I know that your big Revell SH has given you a couple of issues but you are doing a very good job on her.

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Dansk said:

I was going to say that too many reviews are just a glance into the box, and that only a build review has value. Then I went back to the start of this thread and MM wasn't impressed with the kit from the very first post! So a 'glance into the box review' should also have picked up some of the problems.

But keep at it MM! You can build it, yes you can!

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Dansk said:

Hope the 1/32 hk mitchell is good, it cost me an arm and a leg.

I've not encountered any major construction snafus...yet.  I'm still fairly early on in the construction though.  The biggest complaint I've see about it is around the engine nacelle shape, but not a terrible fix to open them up a bit.  Mine will get pulled out for a bit and goes back.  I have a hard time staying involved/motivated w/ WWII stuff, so when my motivation starts to wane a bit I'll put it back in the box since it's not one that I want to rush just to get it done.  It's definitely a long term build for me.  :lol:

• Thanks 1

On 1/19/2022 at 12:51 AM, gingerbob said:

That looks a lot more like purple than it does black- and it does look good in purple!

It certainly does!

On 1/20/2022 at 8:51 AM, modelling minion said:

It's ok Craig, you're with friends, its ok to say you ran out of black and had to you a pink/purple primer!!! Gosh knows why you would have that colour! :whistle:That's why I don't trust reviewers any more, too many "wonderful" "awesome" models bought only to find they are piles of :poop:.... KH's Su-22 being one that comes to mine!

But she is coming along very nicely

• Like 1

12 hours ago, trickyrich said:

It certainly does!

Well hopefully in these latest pictures she will put your fears to rest over the potential use of purple primer, should such a thing exist. I bit the bullet over the past couple of days and got the front canopy on and sorted and have to say that I would have found it more tricky without the link posted by Mark ( @madcat911) which pointed out what to do and the fact that the HUD won't fit into the recess in the cockpit coaming without some minor surgery, that saved a potential real problem so thanks Mark.👍 

Even with a lot (and I mean a LOT) of cutting, scraping and sanding of the front canopy and the area which it sits into I was still left with a gap at the front and a very big step up to the canopy into which I stuffed a good amount of Revell filler and left it for over 24 hours, then it was time to attack it with some sanding sticks and after a fair amount of plastic and filler was reduced to dust and the black re-applied I ended up with this;

spacer.png

spacer.png

Much better, though it would be very easy to damage either the canopy or other parts of the model whilst doing it and to be honest its not what you should be doing on a modern tooling.

You will probably notice that I applied a coat of Klear to the nose as this will remain black as part of the colour scheme and it will help it survive the masking process, I did the same on the tips of the vertical tails before applying some grey to represent the areas that were painted that way to try to make the Hornet look like a Mig-29;

spacer.png

There are areas like this on the upper and lower wings and the rear fuselage so they got the same treatment which had led to the model looking like this;

spacer.png

spacer.png

I also applied some to the areas of the flaps that remained grey as they are usually covered when not hanging down through a lack of hydraulic pressure. I need to go back to the grey and apply some lighter bits to give variation in the colour as it didn't quite work out as planned when I sprayed the initial coat over the black.

So that is how she looks at the minute, thanks for looking in and as usual all comments and criticisms are gratefully received.

Craig.

• Like 8