Kinetic 1/48 F/A-18A ex US Navy adversary in Spanish service.

4 minutes ago, modelling minion said:

Sounds like a plan to me!

Unless of course thats how you lure unsuspecting modellers into your cellar!😲

I‘ll refrain from writing down all the punchlines flying though my head because I‘d like to avoid Anatol Pigwa‘s or Enzo‘s wrath… 😜

• Haha 3

34 minutes ago, Lex77 said:

Some big gaps! Not looking forward to those...

Yeah, they're not the best Lex but I have got them sorted now, at least I think I have no doubt paint will show that I haven't.

10 minutes ago, Bertie Psmith said:

Just to cheer you up...

y4mQSbD9RpJdTTpiX3C6NN362GVxv-JGTbEvlcYM

...the Meng version. (Radome not yet glued in)

Thanks for that Bertie, not jealous at all!😁

Well done Meng, perhaps they can pop over to Kinetic and show them how to design a kit properly.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Just now, Bertie Psmith said:

I'm sure you have the skills to sort it. I would probably have binned it by now.

I'm not sure about having skills but I can slap filler on and sand with the best of them. I am happier with how she looks now and have started to flaps and some of the lumpy bumpy bits on the fuselage.

4 hours ago, Sam said:

I certainly had making mine….

Well they look really good Sam, you did a great job on getting them neatly aligned.

Whilst adding various lumps and bumps and little bits I decided to fit the two cooling air vent grills which Kinetic supply as separate etched parts. The instructions show the parts but I was unsure about the orientation the instructions show them to be fitted, it just didn't seem right so I thought I would check, and I am very glad that I did! This is the instructions;

spacer.png

Note that it appears to show the parts with the point of the arrow on the etch facing the rear of the aircraft, this didn't seem right to me, and it isn't. This is the direction they should be pointing;

spacer.png

They are pointing forwards but backwards. But wait it gets better, these vents are correct for a mid to late production C not for an A such as I am building and the kit is supposed to represent. This is what the vents look like for an A through to mid production C;

spacer.png

The lines on the vents are vertical not at an angle. Fortunately Kinetic do actually provide the correct vents on their etched fret but why the bloody hell do they not mention them in the instructions!!!!🤬🤬 So those of you building this kit beware, check your references for the aircraft you are building and don't blindly follow Kinetic's "instructions" as this is not the only mistake/omission.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Sam said:

Hey Craig i hope you had fun sanding down your IFF antennas. I certainly had making mine…. 😵💫

spacer.png

G'day Sam, neat work!

The inner three blades should be parallel to the centre line (as you have) but the outer two should angle inwards slightly (sorry for butting in Craig)

cheers,

Pappy

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Lex77 said:

They do mention both vents in the Blue Angels version of the kit

Thats both very interesting and very strange, if they can do it for one kit then why can't they do it for the dedicated A/C kit? I notice that they still got the orientation of the vents for the C the wrong way around.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, modelling minion said:

Thats both very interesting and very strange, if they can do it for one kit then why can't they do it for the dedicated A/C kit? I notice that they still got the orientation of the vents for the C the wrong way around.

Kinetic's weak spot (among some other things) are there manuals and the color call outs in them.

Nowhere in the manual they mention what vent on what version.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Lex77 said:

Kinetic's weak spot (among some other things) are there manuals and the color call outs in them.

Nowhere in the manual they mention what vent on what version.

Yes, I'm afraid if they want to earn their place at the table with the big boys then they really need to up their game dramatically.

• Like 1