Revell 1/72 Fokker D VII

Good afternoon All, herewith my first build of 2022. I always try to buy something from the well known on-line auction site on Christmas Day, it has been a routine since about 2010, and this was one of two items I bought this year. The kit is really basic, after all it is a rebox of a 1963 original according to Scalemates, but apart from lots of typical Revell flash the parts weren't too bad and the fit was acceptable. The modellingmadness review linked here gives a fair assessment of the kit and I followed the advice about fitting the cabane struts after fitting the top wing, and fitting the undercarriage last.

This rebox, from 2003 I think, had only one set of decals, the earlier kits had decals for Goering's all white machine as well. The underwing decals are black and white, providing outlines for the four colour lozenge camouflage that you are supposed to paint in by hand. Really? Life's too short for that, and the kit really wasn't worth the expense of aftermarket decals, so I cheated and painted the underside in a linen colour (Xtracrylix RAF Hemp). If you want to see just how well this kit can be built look no further than our own hadzi's build here on Britmodeller.

I haven't added anything apart from the undercarriage bracing wires (EZ Line) and I didn't use the pilot figure as the moulding was a bit too soft. I had planned to build this on New Year's Day, but life intervened and I had to spend a few hours on Sunday to finish it off. Overall build time was probably in the region of 12 hours from cutting the first piece off the sprue to putting the finished model in the cabinet: very nearly qualifying as a blitzbuild.

51795605022_6a654700f1_c.jpg

51795605092_672f2fb389_c.jpg

Sorry this one's a bit out of focus, it's a hand held shot so I needed a small aperture to get a decent shutter speed...

51795605057_38074dc97e_c.jpg

51796919979_3ec8758934_c.jpg

51796670218_4c0299fa5c_c.jpg

51796549091_805a0987fd_c.jpg

51796549076_1953194b4b_c.jpg

51796549101_50706b9223_c.jpg

Thank you for looking and I hope you liked it.

• Like 19

That's a little stunner of a build especially considering the age of the molds I seem to remember these kits being flash monsters

back in the seventies!

• Thanks 1

Clean build but unfortunately it looks like your radiator is upsidedown. And maybe (just maybe) the undercarriage struts are on back to front. Both probably fixable.

Edited by wmcgill
Clarity
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, wmcgill said:

Clean build but unfortunately it looks like your radiator is upside down. And maybe (just maybe) the undercarriage struts are on back to front

The U/C struts only fit one way - but you're right about the radiator. Oops. Fixable yes, but will I bother?

Edit: Not such an easy fix. The radiator is attached with Tamiya Extra Thin and reinforced with cyanoacrylate. No chance of removal with anything but a razor saw, and the chances of making an invisible repair are low. For an extra detailed model yes, but for a quick OOB build I will live with it. Hey ho.

• Like 1