*done* F/A-18C MLU2 Hornet HN-457, Ilmavoimat

vppelt68

Terve AaCee, yep I nowadays use Revell 301 enamel and its better... but still doesn't really make my day! This one got just today its main gear bay doors glued shut :giggle:

See you in Pori next summer? It'll be a bit less exciting without the HX-candidates but worth attending anyway.

Pärjäillään, V-P

What a pity for that nice gear! :(

If all goes as planned I'll be at Pori. Certainly no more several fast jet types there - I'll bet Norwegian Lightning II but otherwise the usual local suspects and hopefully something not so often seen foreign visitors.

Nähdään siellä,

AaCee

• Like 1

I didn't do well with fitting the canopy and there are some nasty seams visible too, but I don't bother fixing them as I don't believe I could improve anything with my skills. The tailplanes and wings are just pushed in so far. My next job will be adding the various decals and some of the larger stencils, definitely not all of them! I prefer to do that before the wings and pylons get in the way. Some antennae need detail painting too. V-P

2022-02-03_09-25-00

• Like 7

Thanks! I believe most of the microscopic small stickers are now on. I have assembled two fuel tanks and two GBU-38:s, they and an AAN/AQ-28 targeting pod, a pair of AIM-9:s and AIM-120:s are waiting to get painted. V-P

2022-02-04_10-24-56

• Like 9

I still haven't properly attached the wings, it's easier to add the things that in real life would go bang while the wings are separate.

2022-02-07_09-33-54

The AIM-120 and -9X decals come from the same Academy F-15C MSIP kit than the missiles AND THEY ARE HORRIBLE! V-P

• Like 8

1 hour ago, vppelt68 said:

decals come from the same Academy F-15C MSIP kit than the missiles AND THEY ARE HORRIBLE!

I built that kit a few months ago and the decals were awful! Looks like you tamed them well though. The JDAMs look the business.

• Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, Wings unlevel said:

I built that kit a few months ago and the decals were awful! Looks like you tamed them well though. The JDAMs look the business.

Thanks, the bombs (and the Litening pod) came from Hasegawa weapons set IX, and the decals behaved a lot better although I have yet to decorate the pod :fingerscrossed:

EDIT: I must wonder how stupid model kit manufacturers can be? Ok there's no limit, we've seen that :giggle:. But when your company molds two kits with Sidewinders, in -9L/M version they provide the attaching slot that is 11mm long and make the "male" part in Legacy Hornet launchrail accordingly; in their -9X the same groove is just 4mm long as is the male part in F-15C launch rails. Why oh why? It's easy to trim away the extra length from the Hornet wingtips but why do I need to do that in the first place, eh? V-P

• Like 1

:yahoo:

Minor fixing and detail painting yet to do, but the Count is essentially assembled.

IMG_20220210_085942

The tailplanes are positioned so as he'll be displayed a little "nose up".

IMG_20220210_085900

I think the build thread part ends here. I have two weeks until my son's birthday to come up with a stand, fix this and that minor thing and add the nav lights etc. You know how that will end... two weeks of nothing then PANIC :rofl2:.

Thanks to Anatol and Enzo for setting up and running this show, and all you who have participated in other means. This really IS a great group build :thumbsup:. V-P

• Like 8

29 minutes ago, reini said:

What kind of stand do you have planned for it?

Thanks reini! I don't know precisely yet, it must be quite heavy or large, as the HN is rather heavy model and it's weight is everywhere else but in the center! I'd like to decorate the stand with something personal or unit related to our son. I have some ideas. V-P

P.S. I think your wife's hobby shop should get more of these kits :hmmm:

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, vppelt68 said:

P.S. I think your wife's hobby shop should get more of these kits :hmmm:

I know - but they were out of stock the last time we ordered :( But good to know it's a good kit 👍

• Like 1

Well here's the stand. It's an old relic from some forgotten kit of yesteryear. On the top can be seen the ghastly green color it is molded. I can't recall ever having a whole kit molded in that color, even Monogram '70 GTX doesn't come close to this.

IMG_20220227_140207

It was given a satin black spray from a Games Workshop Chaos Black rattlecan. The Finnish roundel is one I myself used in a field cap when I served my national service 1988-89. Above it is a shoulder unit badge of the Finnish Airforce Technical School in Halli, nowadays integrated into Air Force Academy and transferred to Tikkakoski, where all conscript mechanics are trained.

Thanks for a jolly nice GB! V-P

• Like 3