Telecommunications Flying Unit. Defford.

Rick Brown

Chaps.

Anybody have information on a supplier of decals for any of the A/C working for TFU 1942-1957?

I have a list of aircraft, with serial numbers, but am struggling to find decals.

I can obviously make them up from various stash decals, but it would be nice if someone had already compiled a selection.

The only kit I know of dedicated to Defford is the:

S & M Models

Code Number:

SMK7222

Boeing 247D.

This is listed as the "Top Secret Boeing", but the box top doesn't mention the correct DZ203 decals. 

I'm awaiting the answer from Hannants.

Oldmodells did a set for this kit, but they don't seem to list them anymore, again, awaiting a response from them.

Any information appreciated.

Rick.

• Rick Brown changed the title to Telecommunications Flying Unit. Defford.
1 hour ago, modelldoc said:

Yes, but the roundels are very thick and stiff, I used other one from the stash.

modelldoc

Thanks for that.

I have loads of roundels, so should be ok.

Cheers.

Rick.

Yep, looks easy enough to do.

I have all of the decals needed anyway.

Anyway, I'm more interested in the other aircraft that were there over the time frame.

Back to the OP, any other sources of decals for the other airframes?

Rick.

If you like rabbit holes, it appears that Swordfish V4689/G went to TRE after its use in trialling the Baby Leigh Light.

There's some history here

http://www.adf-serials.com.au/swordfish.htm

and a photo here

http://www.adf-gallery.com.au/picture.php?/Swordfish_V4689_October_1943_IWM_photo_via_Brendan_Cowan/category/fairey-swordfish

but what it looked like at TRE may be different to the photo!

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Rick Brown said:

Yep, looks easy enough to do.

Yes, but beware the changes in the markings and colours over time, also that in later life (from Sept 44) it had Harvard engines, with shorter chord (modified Harvard) cowlings and 2-blade props.  Top Secret Boeing devotes about 3 pages to colours and markings.  Apparently the Yellow triangles weren't applied until 1944, long after the changeover from Type A to Type C markings in 1942.

Afraid I can't help with other TRE aircraft: I suspect they were intensely camera-shy and pretty anonymous in markings.  The Rose & Crown pub in Severn Stoke used to have on the wall a group photo of TRE staff in front of a Warwick.  I wonder if it's still there.

• Thanks 2

3 hours ago, Seahawk said:

The Rose & Crown pub in Severn Stoke used to have on the wall a group photo of TRE staff in front of a Warwick.  I wonder if it's still there.

I'll check next time I'm in there 😉

Rick.