PK-126 Lightning T55

Yes, well done lads, so good to see the healthy collaboration and assistance among our many friendly members. It’s what makes BM so special and long may it continue. Those T.55 sprues look lovely, and I can’t imagine why Matchbox didn’t retool this as a T.4/5 and cash in on all the additional British sales. 

Cheers, welcome aboard and best of luck.. Dave

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Rabbit Leader said:

I can’t imagine why Matchbox didn’t retool this as a T.4/5 and cash in on all the additional British sales. 

To be accurate, that would have required reworking the wings to straight leading edges, as well as the fuselage mods.

That's two sprues, so cost becomes a factor.

• Thanks 1

On 1/3/2022 at 7:49 PM, Rabbit Leader said:

I can’t imagine why Matchbox didn’t retool this as a T.4/5 and cash in on all the additional British sales. 

So that modellers can have fun mating the small belly and wing parts from an ancient Airfix Lightning, to make those version by converting. 

Matchbox-Lightning-T5-Port.jpg

And so that modellers can have fun with What-If Lightning two-seater schemes.

Or the USAF export version, compatible with the Falcon missile.

Matchbox_LightningUSAF.jpg

Or its US Navy equivalent, with Sidewinder.

Matchbox_LightningUSNavy2.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Ratch said:

It did carry RAF roundels for a brief period before going overseas.

51171669959_62766464aa_c.jpg

The (ex) RSAF Lightnings wore UK serials and national markings for their return from Saudi Arabia to the UK at the end of their service lives; when they were built they were in full RSAF colours; I think that few, if any, of them even carried B-class registrations, e.g. G-27-235, when on production test in the UK or for their delivery flights.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I have made a small start and painted the pilots, cockpit and assembled the fuselage (the same stage as the F-5s). Again, serious attention will be given to the seam. Bizarrely, Matchbox saw fit to put two different styles of pilot in the kit, the most obvious difference being the helmet. I guess they did not have more than one standard tooling of each available at the time.

IMG_20220115_140014

• Like 9

On a positive note, at least they do not look like twins!

I have built a number of the Matchbox Lightnings over the years, and always thought they scrub up well. Good work so far!

Ray

• 3 weeks later...

Starting to take shape, with a little more tidying required prior to applying primer. Does anyone know if the T55s flew with the overwing tanks and/or refuelling probe. I am not a Lightning expert but I have not seen any evidence that they did.

Cheers, Dave

IMG_20220201_125551

• Like 7

• 4 weeks later...

...and finished. Not particularly well done but it will look ok on my shelf. Thanks again to @rossmfor the decals, I would have been lost without them. The belly tank decals came from an old Revell set, and handling it for the photos I managed to remove some of them. I also forgot to add nose weight so it is a tail-sitter (hence the blu tack on the nosewheel). Still, it the first model I have managed to complete for a while so I am satisfied with that.

IMG_20220310_140818 IMG_20220310_140722 IMG_20220310_140659 IMG_20220310_140842

• Like 9

That looks really nice, I'm glad to have been able to help you get such a good result.

I don't normally put pilots in my aircraft but they set it off really well so you may have converted me.

• Thanks 1

Excellent twin tub Lightning build @rafalbert and great to see some additional member contributions with @rossm's decal assistance. This is what makes Britmodeller a really warm and fuzzy place to visit. 

I really like the look of this kit and must try to hunt one down whenever the opportunity turns up. Glad to hear that this GB was also a catalyst for you to complete a recent plastic kit, we all hit the wall on occasions and glad this GB helped you along. 

Cheers and well modelled.. Dave 

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, rossm said:

I don't normally put pilots in my aircraft but they set it off really well so you may have converted me.

Nor do I but it was easier than detailing the cockpit! 🤣

• Haha 1