The Dying of the Light - A Dusk Launch in the Tropics - Jan 19 - I'm done. It's done.

Coming along nicely.  You all are making me second guess my decision to sit this GB out.  I've probably pulled the pair of Bugs off the shelf at least 4 times in the past week to paw through the parts.

No, no, no.....I've got a Phantom to finish now that the Draken is out of the way.  :chair:

• Haha 2

Just now, helios16v said:

Coming along nicely.  You all are making me second guess my decision to sit this GB out.  I've probably pulled the pair of Bugs off the shelf at least 4 times in the past week to paw through the parts.

No, no, no.....I've got a Phantom to finish now that the Draken is out of the way.  :chair:

From the F-4 GB?

Just now, Bertie Psmith said:

From the F-4 GB?

Yep!  :rofl2:

I'm going to attempt a bit more self control this year and try to restrain myself to a max of 3 ongoing projects at once.  1 jet/modern aircraft (post WWII), 1 vintage aircraft, and 1 vehicle.  Don't get me wrong, I fully expect to fail...but I'd like to at least make it a month into the year before I fail.  It would be pitiful if I couldn't show enough restraint to even make it 2 weeks into the new year.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, helios16v said:

Yep!  :rofl2:

I'm going to attempt a bit more self control this year and try to restrain myself to a max of 3 ongoing projects at once.  1 jet/modern aircraft (post WWII), 1 vintage aircraft, and 1 vehicle.  Don't get me wrong, I fully expect to fail...but I'd like to at least make it a month into the year before I fail.  It would be pitiful if I couldn't show enough restraint to even make it 2 weeks into the new year.

@helios16vBe strong! Do or do not do, there is no 'attempt'.

I’m doing the Tamiya F-4C (that I chickened out of during the Phantom GB) in the bomber GB next week.  

I'm also avoiding splitting my forces on too many projects 

• Like 1

Hey, we are getting close to the painting stage now!!!

y4mtXLnwpjFcu8kAJRN74B_iXiTr0p_dWSO92d7p

I've rasped down a bamboo dowel to give me something to hold onto. When the rest of the wings are glued on with their flaps, slats, pylons and so forth, not to mention the aerials and other fuselage fragilities, it's going to be really difficult to hold onto the model without something breaking off. (A problem that gets worse with age, I find 😉)

Also, I can now fly it around the flat saying "Neeeeeeoooooooowwwwwnnn!"

y4m6lyfyrHWhD6jf6f5i8Lx31Pe01WEaBadeEqG_

There's also the problem of putting her down without making a mess on her bottom. I find a cocktail stick undercarriage invaluable for this. Now I can fit more of the remaining sub-assemblies and components. The final shading/colouring will be done with everything attached, including the undercarriage and canopy, but the priming and the grey basecoat can be done more conventionally. I think.

Briefly, my plan for painting is to:

1. prime in medium grey all over
  2. prime dark grey onto the shadow sides of everything
  3. prime light grey onto the sunlit sides of everything
  4. paint the camouflage greys over that lot giving me a dark side and a light side in a neutral grey colour
  5. paint the details
  6. paint the undercarriage, canopy, missiles and tanks
  7. gloss coat and decal
  8. fit the undercarriage, missiles and tanks
  9. satin or matt coat
  10. using inks, spray the shadow side in dark blues and purple hues
  11. with inks again spray yellow orange red hues
  12. with paintbrush, pick out and intensify the highest highlights of all

And then, EITHER place reverently onto my display shelving OR place regretfully into the dustbin.

Only time will tell.

(Projected finish date - Friday 21 Jan)

• Like 6

• Bertie McBoatface changed the title to The Dying of the Light - A Dusk Launch in the Tropics - Jan 13, Painting Looms Large
Just now, Bertie Psmith said:

It's the only way to finish anything. You should try it! 🤣

Hahaha! Well maybe you're right... maybe I will try that somewhere in the future, but that way it seems something...like work... and I am already retired! :rofl:

Cheers

LM

• Haha 1

The deadline makes it more interesting for me @Lazy Modeller, because despite the great kit, I'm experiencing little enthusiasm for the F/A-18 itself. (Don't tell anyone but I think its a really boring subject.)

DAY/SESSION ONE

prime in medium grey all over

prime dark grey onto the shadow sides of everything

prime light grey onto the sunlit sides of everything

DAY/SESSION TWO

paint the camouflage greys over that lot giving me a dark side and a light side in a neutral grey colour

DAY/SESSION THREE

paint the details

paint the undercarriage, canopy, missiles and tanks, seat and pilot

gloss coat

DAY/SESSION FOUR

decal

DAY/SESSION FIVE

fit the undercarriage, missiles and tanks

satin or matt coat

DAY/SESSION SIX

using inks, spray the shadow side in dark blues and purple hues

with inks again spray yellow orange red hues

DAY/SESSION SEVEN

with paintbrush, pick out and intensify the highest highlights of all

Friday 21st Jan is eight and a half days away.... which means I must get the windshield mounted today, which means painting the coaming, hud etc, , building the canopy, and masking the wheel wells before bedtime tonight. Hmmmm......

🎶 I think I'd better think it out again 🎶

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, Lazy Modeller said:

I will check if you comply as planned otherwise I will have to apply a fine! :rofl::rofl::rofl::lalala:

Chers

LM

Yes! Keep up the pressure!

I'm trying not to think of what happens if I go over my deadline.   Er.... Nothing at all actually. 🤷‍♂️

• Haha 1

30 minutes ago, Bertie Psmith said:

Yes! Keep up the pressure!

no problem! I'll give that pressure...:rofl:

I usually comment honestly what I think, even though I know that sometimes people don't like it, but I think it's the best way to correct some mistakes we make, at least I like that they do it with me ! Of course, I don't really understand anything about planes, apart from having an aversion to them. I don't know why, or maybe I do. When I rode in the Rangers I did some attacks hanging from the open door of helis and I had no problems, but later I was invited by a skydiving instructor to go with them, and it turns out the plane crashed and everyone died. Since then, everything that is more than my height from the ground is tall to me...

Cheers

LM

1 hour ago, Lazy Modeller said:

no problem! I'll give that pressure...:rofl:

I usually comment honestly what I think, even though I know that sometimes people don't like it, but I think it's the best way to correct some mistakes we make, at least I like that they do it with me !

It took me a while to get used to your straight speaking, Lazy my friend, but I do agree that honest feedback is more use than unfounded praise.

1 hour ago, Lazy Modeller said:

Of course, I don't really understand anything about planes, apart from having an aversion to them. I don't know why, or maybe I do. When I rode in the Rangers I did some attacks hanging from the open door of helis and I had no problems, but later I was invited by a skydiving instructor to go with them, and it turns out the plane crashed and everyone died. Since then, everything that is more than my height from the ground is tall to me...

Cheers

LM

Well, I can see your point there. Skydiving is much better when you are outside of the plane!

5 minutes ago, Bertie Psmith said:

It took me a while to get used to your straight speaking, Lazy my friend, but I do agree that honest feedback is more use than unfounded praise.

I apologize a lot for my English, and sometimes I'm afraid that things won't turn out as I thought, but part of the blame will be on Google translator... As for the feedback, well, most people don't like opinions, they just like to say good things about the work, but sometimes it's beneficial to disagree a little, even if we're not right, there's always someone who learns something.

6 minutes ago, Bertie Psmith said:

Well, I can see your point there. Skydiving is much better when you are outside of the plane!

Tell that to the 5 Skydivers who tried to jump at low altitude to get away and ended up crashing on the ground...

Cheers

LM

36 minutes ago, Lazy Modeller said:

I apologize a lot for my English, and sometimes I'm afraid that things won't turn out as I thought, but part of the blame will be on Google translator... As for the feedback, well, most people don't like opinions, they just like to say good things about the work, but sometimes it's beneficial to disagree a little, even if we're not right, there's always someone who learns something.

I know that I can depend on you to tell me honestly, whether this experiment in lighting has worked! 

We must make a vow never to be offended by each other. Blame it all on Google Translate.

• Haha 1

Even knowing something of a language that doesn't mean that we can't offend someone unintentionally, because words in phrases sometimes mean something else than what we want to say in ours. On the other hand, I can also write in Portuguese... anyway, I'm not easily offended... ever, so your good!

As for the construction, you already know that I always give my honest opinion, on the other hand, if I don't say anything... that's really bad! :rofl::lalala::clap:

Cheers

LM

20 minutes ago, Bertie Psmith said:

If you don't say anything I will know that your computer is broken. 🤣

Well I think it would be an excellent way to get rid of the thing, the problem is that computers here at home are not lacking! ... so... the best thing is not to fail in building the model... just to be sure... :rofl:
Cheers
LM