The Dying of the Light - A Dusk Launch in the Tropics - Jan 19 - I'm done. It's done.

1 hour ago, Lazy Modeller said:

Now you're going to blame me for putting too much pressure to meet deadlines!!! I know you will!!! 😳

Was it so bad that it had to go to waste? It seemed to me to have some very nice highlights!

I'm really sorry about that ending, but the law is the law and in the end you didn't deliver on time so I'll have to fine you. But given the sad ending I think I'll force you to do only AFVs!

Now seriously. It's a shame, but I know how you feel, it happened to me several times, but the difference is I  punch them until they're almost to dust! Oh yes! They cant win on me!

Cheers

LM

Ah, LM. You helped me beat my deadline by two days, so I am very happy with that. Now I have time off before the Bomber GB! Hooray!

There were some good bits but the fact is, I didn't like it enough to keep it. I only keep the ones I like for a short time, so this one had no chance.

AFV's are better and I don't think I will be buying any more aircraft. With AFVs I can be more adventurous and make it work. With aircraft, it has to be conventional or it just looks strange to me.

One time I made the Monogram B-24. It took me weeks, brush painting in my tiny room in the barracks with a stool for a workbench. When it was done I hung it from the ceiling light and even before I lay on my bed to admire it, the model fell to the ground. I jumped on the wreckage with my combat boots and stamped it to pieces! (With the Hornet, I just broke it to pieces without emotion because it took up so much room in the bin and was so sharp everywhere.)

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, helios16v said:

a small diorama or vignette

Thanks Helios, It certainly was interesting. The idea of a small diorama is a non-starter though. The model is was huge! A diorama would be two foot by three and my apartment isn't much bigger than that.

6 minutes ago, Bertie Psmith said:

Thanks Helios, It certainly was interesting. The idea of a small diorama is a non-starter though. The model is was huge! A diorama would be two foot by three and my apartment isn't much bigger than that.

Oh I definitely get that.  Hell, just a little vignette base for a 1/72 bird can take up a decent space.  One of these days I'll do a small display (I've got various ground equipment), but until I get some dedicated shelving for it I just wouldn't have anywhere to put it.  As is the completed models are strewn about the house here and there wherever I have some available horizontal space.  :rofl2:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bertie Psmith said:

Ah, LM. You helped me beat my deadline by two days, so I am very happy with that. Now I have time off before the Bomber GB! Hooray!

There were some good bits but the fact is, I didn't like it enough to keep it. I only keep the ones I like for a short time, so this one had no chance.

AFV's are better and I don't think I will be buying any more aircraft. With AFVs I can be more adventurous and make it work. With aircraft, it has to be conventional or it just looks strange to me.

One time I made the Monogram B-24. It took me weeks, brush painting in my tiny room in the barracks with a stool for a workbench. When it was done I hung it from the ceiling light and even before I lay on my bed to admire it, the model fell to the ground. I jumped on the wreckage with my combat boots and stamped it to pieces! (With the Hornet, I just broke it to pieces without emotion because it took up so much room in the bin and was so sharp everywhere.)

1 hour ago, Bertie Psmith said:

Personally I think having a deadline to do whatever it is not good, and perhaps for it, that happened. View the positive side of the thing.

Build only AFVS! I think it's a good decision, beyond that they occupy less space, and are easier to fix then planes! But it's always a bummer when a project gives the crook. I still have here somewhere the last one I crushed! Now it serves for testing ...

By the way I liked your spray booth, basically is like mine, although mine is closed. One last thing use a few drops of Flow Improver ... makes all the difference.

Cheers

LM

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Bertie Psmith said:

You were right Pappy. My Super Hornet looks a lot more at home in a box.

y4mgGeYIfVL-MY4YO3rS4c2pqXCf5nGOKWcYP3IS

😱                  🤣

G'day Bertie,

Massive respect for both your commitment and passion. Were you able to salvage any bits at least such as the seat, pilot, stores and u/c? They may prove useful on other projects,

cheers,

Pappy

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Pappy said:

G'day Bertie,

Massive respect for both your commitment and passion. Were you able to salvage any bits at least such as the seat, pilot, stores and u/c? They may prove useful on other projects,

cheers,

Pappy

Thanks. No, I didn't salvage anything this time. I have a huge spares box already and I'm pretty much committing myself to armour and figures after the Bomber Gb (Phantom) and the Big Brit GB (Lancaster nose section). My interest in aircraft has been in decline for a long time but now it's terminal. I know why that is and I can't see it returning anytime soon, though I will keep the spares box!

6 hours ago, Bertie Psmith said:

"Don't allow anything in your house that isn't either useful or beautiful."

I’m now standing out in the garden and it’s bloody freezing.

Sorry to see that your piece didn’t work out how you’d hoped. A bit of a shock to see it in the bin, but if you don’t like it, then I guess that’s where it’s bound to end up. But really, don’t give up on aircraft altogether.

• Haha 5

1 minute ago, Filler said:

I’m now standing out in the garden and it’s bloody freezing.

That's really funny. Coffee all over the desk. You're lucky I'm not billing you for a new laptop and curtains, you rascal!

I'm not leaving aircraft because of this one. Or the two phantoms from last year or the spitfire or vulcan from last year or the spitfire from the year before that.... none of which filled me with joy. I'm goint to figures and armour for the approx ten tanks and fifty figures that have put big grins on my face over the last coupe of years. I've been doing aircraft for fifty years man, gimme a break!

(And as I said to Pappy, I know why the change is needed now, of all times and it makes good sense to me. It's not something I wish to share with everyone though)

Two more aircraft. Tamiya 1/48 Phantom and Hong Kong 1/32 Lancaster nose section. Because I said I would. I think that's going out in style, don't you?

And then I'm done with the air forces of the world and off to play in the mud and the blood with the armies of the whole universe!

• Like 2

It's all about finding joy in plastic.  And today there is sooo many different genres and niches to play in and try out....  The world is your oyster.

I tend to bounce around a bit.  I'll take a break from planes for a bit and pick up an auto...or if I want something really different I've got a few armor kits (or even a couple ships) to dabble in.  I might actually be trying my first motorcycle and/or figure in the Turning Japanese GB later this year...that'll be interesting.  And I fully expect to make a right mess of it (though hoping not).

• Like 1

1 minute ago, helios16v said:

I tend to bounce around a bit. 

Same here, I think it's all the biscuits. 😉

I will be working in the suddenly huge genres of scale armour, vehicles and figures of the last couple of thousand years and also fantasy figures, sci-fi, the occasional boat and maybe a diorama or two. I'll still be around here, just in the dungeon dimensions below 'Aircraft Modelling'. 

The more I say it, the more 'right' it sounds. It's no coincidence that I only have one surplus aircraft model to get rid of and that's only a wee one. It wasn't consciously planned that way but wasn't an accident either. The unconscious is a wonderful friend if you listen to him well enough.

• 2 weeks later...

What do you think, fellers, should I go for it?

Yes.

Oops! Too late back to this thread, I am. Bertie has now applied the chipping in extremus technique and popped the finished product into the round file {noun: the rubbish bin. (Au)Strain bureaucratic jargon, circa 1980s}.

Oh well. I know one thing for sure. You'll be back with more, bigger, better ideas before you can pronounce Boomerang properly.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/20/2022 at 2:04 PM, Bertie Psmith said:

You were right Pappy. My Super Hornet looks a lot more at home in a box.

y4mgGeYIfVL-MY4YO3rS4c2pqXCf5nGOKWcYP3IS

oh no! I somehow missed your missery! :( 

probably she would rather have deserved a new paint job than having sort of a ramp/ box strike ... 

• 2 months later...
On 2/6/2022 at 7:55 PM, exdraken said:

oh no! I somehow missed your missery! :( 

probably she would rather have deserved a new paint job than having sort of a ramp/ box strike ... 

I'm sorry I missed your post so long ago.

I call models of aeroplanes 'IT', and aeroplanes too. (Strangely not sailing ships though.) Maybe that helps me walk away when things go awry like this one did. I don't recall ever repainting a model bigger than a 1.35 figure