Grumman Avenger FAA identification help

Grey Beema

On 04/01/2022 at 21:20, iang said:

Lee,

all of the Combat Reports I have were made as photocopies in the 1990s/early 2000s,  not digital copies, so are hard to share en masse without a lot of effort, given that they are A3 format. Connolly's Report does not list his crew. However, Illustrious' report on Meridian dated 2/2/45, discusses Connolly's air-to-air combats and lists his Observer for the mission as  Lt. R.E. Jess DSC RCNVR.

IG

Thanks. That fills a gap. We only (currently) have him for Meridian II on 29 Jan; I've been trying to add in as many instances of crews being involved in combat as possible - something that the original book did little of. It's hard going, and there are a lot of additional 'Unidentified' entries as a result, but it's paying dividends. 

On 04/01/2022 at 21:21, iang said:

Are you convinced the 857 claim is real?

If you mean JZ552, AH Hunt's logbook has been checked, and while I don't have the extract to hand (Mick has it) I expect it will have come from there.

@Lee Howard @iang whilst you’re there Lee & Ian, would either of you (I’ve asked Ian before), have a side number for Hellcat II JW779 which was either an 1839 or 1844 NAS Aircraft - HMS Indomitable flown by SLt WHI Atkinson 12.04.45?

I am distantly related to Bill Atkinson and would love to model this aircraft..

Thanks in advance..

Edited by Grey Beema
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Grey Beema said:

@Lee Howard @iang whilst you’re there Lee & Ian, would either of you (I’ve asked Ian before), have a side number for Hellcat II JW779 which was either an 1839 or 1844 NAS Aircraft - HMS Indomitable flown by SLt WHI Atkinson 12.04.45?

Thanks in advance..

I have a copy of the 12 April Combat Report for JW779 (1839 Squadron), but it does not give the code. Sorry.

14 hours ago, iang said:

I have a copy of the 12 April Combat Report for JW779 (1839 Squadron), but it does not give the code. Sorry.

Thanks Ian, it was worth a try.  It’s not in Atkinson’s log book either..

• Like 1

On 07/01/2022 at 06:32, Grey Beema said:

Thanks in advance..

Unfortunately not. I seem to recall we discussed this on another thread some time ago. Still hasn't come to light I'm afraid.

2 hours ago, Lee Howard said:

Unfortunately not. I seem to recall we discussed this on another thread some time ago. Still hasn't come to light I'm afraid.

Thanks Lee.  Always worth asking every now and again - just in case.  That Hellcat will just have to stay in the stash for now.  I’ll do Bill Foster’s Hellcat that he used to rob Bill Atkinson’s Mytr in the meantime...