1/48 Revell F/A-18F 'Diamondbacks' ***Finished***

Jb65rams

My entry for this GB will be Revell's 1/48 F/A-18F Super Hornet. 

spacer.png

Will be finishing it as the box art, an aircraft of VFA-102 Diamondbacks. I do like a colourful Hornet. my only other Hornet build was in the 2013 F/A-18 STGB.

spacer.png

• Like 9

4 minutes ago, Tim Moff said:

will watch along as I have the Academy kit which I think is a Revell rebox?

Apparently its Academy/Italeri - but will watch along to compare!

DBack102 😍! Red and grey, a great combination! Will you use decals or airbrush the red/white? If I remember correctly there are white diamonds down the spine?

This will be a great looking bird!

Dug the kit out with the aim on making a start. Also starting my Matchbox GB build at the same time. 

Did get far beyond modifying the Revell box to make it more user friendly and trying to make sense of Revell's colour callouts.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

And finally the aftermarket I am planning on using. Aim to build it with wings folded, flaps dropped. Also not sure how I ended up with two mask sets for this.

spacer.png

• Like 8

1 hour ago, modelling minion said:

Very nice, the decal sheet looks great.

I do wish Revell would stop using those terrible end opening flimsy boxes, utter rubbish. Kinetic use only Mig Ammo paints in their colour call outs and then only by their number rather than colour so Revell are not alone in doing this.

Many manufacturers do the 'only one paint by its designation',  Hasegawa does this for many of their older kits (Gunze paints), as does Airfix (which can be hilarious as they're on their third or fourth paint line over the years, good luck finding a reference for 70's era Airfix paints) Revell has been the worst because they specify mixes and names and their paints are hard to find reference charts for. Along with the horrid boxes, it's my biggest complaint with Revell.

I don't mind it too much when I can just pull up a reference chart, which I keep on hand for most of the major brands.

• Like 1

Hasegawa did this scheme, so I checked out their colour call-outs on Scalemates. Looks like I need FS35237 Medium Grey over FS36375 Light Ghost Grey.

Started playing around with the cockpit, comparing the kit seat with the resin seats.

F/A-18F Super Hornet

Revell provides decals for the cockpit, not impressed with them, think I will have a go at painting the cockpit.

F/A-18F Super Hornet

• Like 4

On 1/17/2022 at 12:30 AM, Jb65rams said:

Hasegawa did this scheme, so I checked out their colour call-outs on Scalemates. Looks like I need FS35237 Medium Grey over FS36375 Light Ghost Grey.

Started playing around with the cockpit, comparing the kit seat with the resin seats.

F/A-18F Super Hornet

Revell provides decals for the cockpit, not impressed with them, think I will have a go at painting the cockpit.

F/A-18F Super Hornet

G'day JB,

The resin seat you have  is nice but represents the earlier legacy Hornet seat  (SJU-5) that is based on the MB.10  rather than the SJU-17 (NACES) seat used by the Supers and retrofitted to USN legacy Hornets. The kit seat may lack some detail but it is the correct seat

Pappy

Edited by Pappy
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Jb65rams said:

F/A-18F Super Hornet

F/A-18F Super Hornet

Nice work so far!

However, I believe that the correct colour combination should be Dark Ghost Grey FS36320 for the top and Light Ghost Grey FS36375 for the under fuselage. 

Mark

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Jb65rams said:

@Pappy and @madcat911, thanks for your help.

colours sorted and I have reverted to the kit seats.

Made a bit of progress on the cockpit.

F/A-18F Super Hornet

Lookin'n good JB.

One thing to note is that the NACES seat does not have a canvas 'flap' on top of the headbox like most seats, instead it has a metal flap. It is an easy correctgion though, just paint the top  black like the rest of the seat,

cheers,

Pappy

• Like 1

I will be folding the wings and dropping the flaps/slats using the Wolfpack aftermarket set.

F/A-18F Diamondbacks

Haven’t put a blade to the plastic yet, but have been reading and rereading the instructions and marking up the cut lines (green dots).
Just trying to buck up the courage.

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

Been progressing slowly with this one, beginning to take shape and look like a Hornet.

F/A-18F Diamondbacks

Started to install Wolfpack resin flaps and slats.

F/A-18F Diamondbacks

F/A-18F Diamondbacks

F/A-18F Diamondbacks

Tail feathers dry fitted. Still some tidying up to do.
The folded wings will be added after painting, should just slide in.

• Like 7

• 2 weeks later...