Hasegawa RAAF F/A-18A

Pappy

7 hours ago, coneheadff said:

Really good job on closing the wheel wells!!

Thanks very much mate

2 hours ago, modelling minion said:

All the legacy Hornets have the speed brake Bertie its the Super Hornets that don't have them, unless you are Italeri and then you include them anyway!

Correct! Italeri rushed their kit out to be first to market but did a poor job by all accounts

2 hours ago, Adam Maas said:

To be correct, the Legacy Hornet has a single speed brake on the rear aft fuselage. It's similar to the F-15 speed brake, just further aft.

The Super Hornet has 2 parallelogram-shaped speed brakes on the shoulders, just forward of the distinctive LERX vents

Nearly right,

The Supers don't have a dedicated speed brake as such, this fuction is performed by the FCS. For example, during the landing roll, the rudders 'toe-in', the flaps/flaperons are drooped, the stabs will be driven TE up and the LEX  brakes will deploy to slow the jet. During flight, the FCS deploys controls surfaces as required to slow the jet as required. The two additional devices mounted on the LEX just aft of the boundary layer bleed ducts are auxiliary speed brakes which work in conjunction with the FCS but are not always deployed. I think that there is a panel shaped almost like the legacy speed brake that lives between the vertical fins which was the location for the speed brake on legacy Hornets but is just an airframe access point on the Supers,

cheers,

Pappy

Edited by Pappy
  • Like 5

On 1/12/2022 at 7:42 PM, Pappy said:

during the landing roll, the rudders 'toe-in',

And on take off too. I was curious about that and read that the horizontal stabs (?) lack control authority at high AoA and and low speed due to being blanked by the big flaps. The toe in of the rudders applies a backward force above the CoG tending to lift the nose, or keep it lifted. It would seem that on the Super Hornet, everything does everything, rather like a bird.

On 1/16/2022 at 8:27 PM, Wings unlevel said:

Your FSRing has worked a treat! Looking really clean.

Thanks.

The filler looks excessive in the before pic but it was really just smears in spots where the levels were not quite right but I did do a lot of prep work creating a ledge onto which the u/c doors were mounted which also allowed for shimming where required, however the complex shape of the main doors meant that it was hard to get level in all planes.

On 1/16/2022 at 8:47 PM, modelling minion said:

Lovely smooth coat of paint Pappy, really nice.

I was surprised myself as it is quite humid here currently and I was expecting more moisture issues spraying paint. I will move to spraying in the evening as the temps and humidity are lower but this means work opportunities will be limited

On 1/17/2022 at 8:52 AM, Bertie Psmith said:

And on take off too. I was curious about that and read that the horizontal stabs (?) lack control authority at high AoA and and low speed due to being blanked by the big flaps. The toe in of the rudders applies a backward force above the CoG tending to lift the nose, or keep it lifted. It would seem that on the Super Hornet, everything does everything, rather like a bird.

True dat!

cheers,

Pappy

• Like 3

G'day people,

A little more progress today. I have shortened the air brake actuator as although I want the air brake open, I did not want it fully extended. The ram was cut off and had a length chopped out before being re-attached

DSCN8530.JPG

The gun blast diffuser detail was also picked with a brush

DSCN8529.JPG

I am trying to get my other Hornet kit (academy) to the same stage so that I can spray both at the same time for efficiency,

cheers,

Pappy

• Like 8

On 1/9/2022 at 5:11 AM, Pappy said:

The RCAF use a simialr style seat harness as the RAAF but dunno what other land based users do.

At least Finnish AF has belts on the seat. IDNK about the Swiss or Spainish ones.

Cheers,

AaCee