Hasegawa RAAF F/A-18A

Pappy

• Pappy changed the title to Hasegawa RAAF F/A-18A

Yup me too!

G'day people,

So, start day has arrived (in Oz at least) but you continental types will have to wait a little longer 😜

The kit

DSCN8369.JPG

DSCN8370.JPG

I last built the Has kit about 20 years ago, it will be interesting to see how it fares against the Academy kit which I will be using for my second GB entry. I don't recall this kit being too problematic in terms of fit but the main undercarriage had a weird oval cross-section which was annoying so I have decided that this one will be flying and relatively clean as it will be configured for A/A and represent a fairly new machine at the beginning of its RAAF service.

As befits a flying jet, it will need a driver and I wish manufacturers who make/include a pilot figures would mould them in something resembling a flying pose. I have painted up the driver and decided that even though the canopy will be down the kit seat would not pass muster so a resin seat was substituted

DSCN8122.JPG

DSCN8120.JPG

DSCN8119.JPG

I was happy enough with the kit decals as with the lid down and the driver installed they will be mostly obscured

DSCN8129.JPG

DSCN8121.JPG

cheers,

Pappy

Edited by Pappy
  • Like 7

54 minutes ago, Romeo Alpha Yankee said:

Who's seat did you use big P?. I am going to replace the seat in my Hasegawa Hornet as well.

G'day Ray!

Not really sure, it was rattling around loose inside the box as the kit was bought 2nd hand,

cheers,

Pappy

Edited by Pappy
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, modelling minion said:

Very nice work on the pilot and seat Pappy, they look great.

G'day Craig,

This Academy boxing is pretty accurate for a late (post HUG) bird and really only needs some minor tweaks. It includes the lex vortex strakes as well as the fin strengthening plates and the IFF array in front of the windscreen just needs a minor tweak, mofe anon. If you want to do an earlier RAAF Hornet the Has is good or you could opt for the F/A-18A Academy boxing. The are some other areas that need attention but you will just have to keep watching.....

Pappy

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Pappy said:

G'day Ray!

Not really sure, it was rattling around loose inside the box as the kit was bought 2nd hand,

cheers,

Pappy

No worries, I have a few USN seats in the AM stash. I'll use one of them for mine, who's going to know the difference anyway (well you might 😉 )

5 hours ago, Romeo Alpha Yankee said:

No worries, I have a few USN seats in the AM stash. I'll use one of them for mine, who's going to know the difference anyway (well you might 😉 )

Well I won't tell if you ddn't  😉

RAAF legacy Hornets used the SJU-9/10 seat. The -10 was used in the front cockpit of the F/A-18Bs (tubs) while the -9 was used in the singles and rear cockpit of the tubs. The seat was basically the same MB.10 seat used by early USN/USMC Hornets (SJU-5/6) but with a different parachute harness as the RAAF did not adopt the navy style harness  with Koch fittings sewn into the flight suit (the Supers do). The RCAF use a simialr style seat harness as the RAAF but dunno what other land based users do.

One thing I have noticed though is that resin resin replacement seats purportedly to be for a specific kit are not always sized correctly and can be too big or too small. This one seems to based upn the kit seat so it fits well and looks the part so I seemed to have lucjed out in this case,

cheers,

Pappy

Edited by Pappy
  • Like 1

G'day people,

I spent a little more time with my other half today, of the fuselage that is!

I cut out the mesh that lives over the cockpit equipment well and added a very rudimentary representation of the equipment located inside. It is nowhere near the correct depth and will be covered by some PE mesh  and with the lid down I am not sure if anything will even be visible so I did not want to spend too much time on it.

DSCN8124.JPG

The LEX fins were added (remember to drill the locating holes BEFORE adding the lower LEX pieces. I remembered on this build but did not on a previous attempt. Luckily I had a second Has kit and was able to transfer the measurements for the locating hole but it will likely catch someone out I am sure!

I also carefully removed the molded on stabs as apart from making the seam clean-up of the back end easier, it will also allow me to re-position them. The stabs typically droop TE down shortly after hydraulic power is removed. I think there are replacement resin stabs available but you will still need to remove the molded on stabs anyway. I just scribed along the point where the stabs meet to fuselage using the back (i,e the non-cutting side) of the blade using repeated light strokes. It only took a while and soon I had a pair of neatly removed stabs and saved some cash

DSCN8126.JPG

The underside LEX pieces did not fit very well and needed some filler to fair them in

DSCN8127.JPG

The panel visible is for the cockpit boarding ladder and will need to be re-scribed after the sanding sessions,

cheers,

Pappy

Edited by Pappy
  • Like 3

Th

22 hours ago, modelling minion said:

More neat work Pappy, removing the rear stabs so that they can be re-positioned is a very nice touch and will add more realism to the finished model.

Yup, that is the plan

G'day people,

The cockpit has been painted up. The extra bits in the equipment well are practically invisible, the mesh is too thick but then again I didn't spend that much time on it. If I was build this kit again I would just dry brush the extant detail

006(89).JPG

005(90).JPG

004(95).JPG

003(95).JPG

I have started getting the fuselage together, sorry no piccies as I was a bit busy. it is interesting to compare the Hasegawa kit with the much more recent Academy kit.

Based on the box contents alone, the Academy should just blow the venerable old Has kit away but I actually prefer the engineering of the Hasegawa fuselage as it is a simpler affair.

Both kits split the fuselage horizontally with separate side panel aft of the wing, both fit okay but Academy is better (as you would expect) by a whisker. The Academy kit also provides deeper intake trunking and separate stabs so that is also a major plus. The nose however is where the Has kit is better as it just needs the addition of the radome to complete.

The Academy kit is far more complex here but the engineering is also precise and if care is used it does fit well. The payoff is that the Aacdemy kit can accommodate more variants with different antenna arrangement by doing this and the Hasegawa kit is more representative of an earlier Hornet config

cheers,

Pappy

• Like 7

On 1/10/2022 at 8:32 PM, modelling minion said:

Very neat job on the area behind the cockpit Pappy, again far more detailed than my 1/48 one.

For an older kit she certainly does look like she goes together without too much fuss.

Thanks Craig. The Academy kit would be my choice in 1/72 all things being equal but if you could snaffle  a Hasegawa kit for a few bucks second hand it is still a worthwhile build, especially for an early version.  I think in terms of fit both kits have their niggles but on balance the Academy is more complex but worthwhile for the additional detail.

G'day people,

The airframe is basically together but I am now enjoying a bout of Fill, Sand  - Repeat (FSR) as this kit will be in flight and whilst the undercarriage doors will fit, there is almost noting in the way of support to make this easy. The NWW doors were not too bad, I used strips of plastic strip to give the doors some support and used slivers o fplastic card to shim them until they matched their surrounding contours.

DSCN8364.JPG

MWW doors were also treated similarly but given all the different planes and complex compound curves, this was a more difficult proposition which had me reaching for the putty in the end

002(100).JPG

The rear fuselage  parts have been treated and any lost detail re-scribed

003(94).JPG

009(73).JPG

This boxing of the Hornet does not include the three external tail brackets which were introduced to ameliorate the fatigue  issues experienced by the vertical fins arising from vortex forces generated by the LEX. The C/D version had a beefed up internal structure but the A/B versions had the modification applied. RAAF jets did not have the mod installed upon delivery but it was introduced veryearly in the aircraft's RAAF service. 

I ended up making  a mold of the Academy parts and making resin copies to use on this build, I think they turned out okay,

DSCN8337.JPG

cheers,

Pappy

Edited by Pappy
  • Like 5

18 hours ago, modelling minion said:

Considering the gear doors are designed to be open you have done a very good job on making them fit in the closed position.

Neat job on the strengthening plates on the tail.

Both your kits are getting very close to the painting stage.

Thanks Craig,

I am finally getting to the end of FSR viz the u/c doors

007(83).JPG

008(73).JPG

Just a couple of small spots that need re-work due to a slipped scriber but otherwise coming along well.

The driver has also been installed

DSCN8318.JPG

cheers,

Pappy

• Like 6

4 minutes ago, Bertie Psmith said:

So some Hornets DO have a speed brake! I had assumed that was a gross error in the kit from what I'd read in other threads. I presume it's for land based versions?

All the legacy Hornets have the speed brake Bertie its the Super Hornets that don't have them, unless you are Italeri and then you include them anyway!

• Haha 1

To be correct, the Legacy Hornet has a single speed brake on the rear aft fuselage. It's similar to the F-15 speed brake, just further aft.

The Super Hornet has 2 parallelogram-shaped speed brakes on the shoulders, just forward of the distinctive LERX vents

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Adam Maas said:

To be correct, the Legacy Hornet has a single speed brake on the rear aft fuselage. It's similar to the F-15 speed brake, just further aft.

The Super Hornet has 2 parallelogram-shaped speed brakes on the shoulders, just forward of the distinctive LERX vents

I see them on my Meng. Thank you.