Spitfire Mk.Ia N3173 - 152S 20-9-40, shot down 25-9-40 - ***Finished and Final Pics Added***

On 1/25/2022 at 7:50 AM, Steve 1602 said:

Very nice indeed 👏 It’s a very good build thread as well - some great ideas along the way. 

The B&W photos are amazingly realistic! 

Thanks Steve, much appreciated, I'm glad you found it useful. I was really happy with how the b/w pics turned out, they worked much better than I thought they would.

RFI posted;

Cheers, now back to the Huey.

• Like 1

Just catching up here... I have to say those "in flight" pictures really sell it.  I honestly had to take a second look because at first I thought it was a reference pic of a real Spitfire!  I love the attention to detail positioning the control surfaces to match the position of the model in the stand.  

The weathering is just perfect... there's no part of it that looks even a little artificial.  Your use of the different media to weather it really worked well.  I had a phase a couple years ago where I used dot filtering with oils to create paint fading and oil/dirt smudges.  I got away from it mainly because it would get in recessed features (like panel lines) and I couldn't get it out.  I have a Spitfire that has some panel lines and rivets in a light gray. 😕 Otherwise I liked the technique. (Full disclosure -- I went back to dot filtering for my recent French F8F).  It worked perfectly on your build though!

The vegetable oil technique is fascinating and effective.  I couldn't use it here though -- I live in a very dusty environment and I can just imagine the attractive force between dust and veg oil on an airplane! 🤣

Edited by opus999
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

It came out fine after all that drama with the paints. Well done for persevering!

On 1/2/2022 at 11:22 PM, mark.au said:

I assembled the cockpit as much as possible and then painted it all black as a pre-shade designed to avoid the need for a wash.  .

May I suggest that you spray the cockpit colour obliquely from above onto the black next time. This leaves the black shadows underneath the sticking out bits where they look most effective.

After the external painting hassles, are you still impressed with using artist's acrylics or will you go back to the regular model paints?

And whatever happened to the propeller blur experiment? I may have missed the post about it on this belated read through.

• Thanks 1

Very good looking result. I like the stand concept. I always had a preference for displaying aircraft in flight, all cleaned up and purposeful. Like Bertie, I was particularly interested in how you might have modelled a spinning propeller. It is instructive to consider your approaches to various tasks, challenges and effects, so thanks very much for posting this build log.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Bertie Psmith said:

It came out fine after all that drama with the paints. Well done for persevering!

May I suggest that you spray the cockpit colour obliquely from above onto the black next time. This leaves the black shadows underneath the sticking out bits where they look most effective.

After the external painting hassles, are you still impressed with using artist's acrylics or will you go back to the regular model paints?

And whatever happened to the propeller blur experiment? I may have missed the post about it on this belated read through.

Thaks Bertie, much appreciated, and for the suggestion on the angle of attack for the cockpit painting.

Ill certainly go on with the craft paints.  They’re so much more user friendly and produce a very hard, flat finish.  They’re infinitely mixable and thin/clean up easily with water or windex.  They can also be feathered with sanding.  Oh! And dry hard and able to take masking tape in about 10min.  What’s not to like!  The only draw back is having to mix for most military colours but there’s advantages in that too.

5 hours ago, Maginot said:

Very good looking result. I like the stand concept. I always had a preference for displaying aircraft in flight, all cleaned up and purposeful. Like Bertie, I was particularly interested in how you might have modelled a spinning propeller. It is instructive to consider your approaches to various tasks, challenges and effects, so thanks very much for posting this build log.

Thank you, too.  I’ll do more in flight I think, I like it too.

You both ask about the prop experiment.  I did forget to tie that thread off….  My impatience got the better of me and I didn’t find a suitable resin before reaching the finish on this one.  There are more attempts in my future though.  I’ve refined the idea in my head based on the first attempt so when I try again dim hopeful of a positive outcome.

Thnaks again for the comments and likes, all appreciated for what they are, a shared passion for the craft and mutual encouragement.  Cheers.

• Like 1

Just now, Bertie Psmith said:

I missed that reference. Have you done this before? Like, a couple of years before? 

Nope, it came to me in a flash of inspiration!  Though, many years ago I noticed I could achieve a similar effect with skin oils by rubbing areas of flat paint with my finger.  The vegetable oil worked better though.

1 minute ago, mark.au said:

I’ve refined the idea in my head based on the first attempt so when I try again dim hopeful of a positive outcome.

Put a mention of us in the thread and let us know when you are going to do it. I'd hate to miss the fun

• Like 1

Just now, mark.au said:

Nope, it came to me in a flash of inspiration!  Though, many years ago I noticed I could achieve a similar effect with skin oils by rubbing areas of flat paint with my finger.  The vegetable oil worked better though.

I'll reserve judgement until it's been through a year or two of Australian weather. I suspect it might have a fur coat on by then 😆

Just now, Bertie Psmith said:

I'll reserve judgement until it's been through a year or two of Australian weather. I suspect it might have a fur coat on by then 😆

It may do, but it’s in a cabinet so it’s a bit protected.  

It’s worth mentioning that the amounts of oil were minuscule and were mopped up after application.  There isn’t any surface residue to attract the dust as all that’s left is the stain where it discoloured the paint.  It’s not like it’s  dripping off the trailing edge 😄 

13 minutes ago, mark.au said:

It may do, but it’s in a cabinet so it’s a bit protected.  

It’s worth mentioning that the amounts of oil were minuscule and were mopped up after application.  There isn’t any surface residue to attract the dust as all that’s left is the stain where it discoloured the paint.  It’s not like it’s  dripping off the trailing edge 😄 

I suppose there’s oil in oil paints. 🤷‍♂️

Linseed oil though, which oxidises into a solid. 

• Thanks 1