1/48th EA-18G "Growler" - 6 Sqn RAAF 100th Anniversary - completed photos

trickyrich

1 hour ago, Ray_W said:

Reskit sells two versions a Type 1 nozzle without the kink and a Type 2 with the kink. The RAAF Growlers have the Type 2.

Wow...I didn't know that 😳

Who else is using the Type 2 nozzles? Guess the book needs an update.

Thanks for the info Ray!

3 hours ago, coneheadff said:

I thought about buying that set too, but then I thought that something looked weird 🤔 

Take a look at the photos from Melampy's book.

spacer.png

The trailing edge is straight and I have no idea where Reskit has that "kink" from!?!?

Alex

to be honest I didn't know that..... though knowing me I would have discovered it right when I was about to finish!

2 hours ago, Ray_W said:

Reskit sells two versions a Type 1 nozzle without the kink and a Type 2 with the kink. The RAAF Growlers have the Type 2.

BM EA-18G c19

Ray

bugga....guess I have to go shopping now!

14 minutes ago, trickyrich said:

bugga....guess I have to go shopping now!

9 minutes ago, coneheadff said:

Glad the airframe I'm building had the "normal" nozzles.

I am certainly no expert on the type and only noticed the difference when I went to order the nozzles. Then I checked pictures of my type and went ah ha! I found a little information on it on ARC http://www.arcforums.com/forums/air/index.php?/topic/309288-fa-18ef-exhaust-nozzle-improvement/ and here http://www.arcforums.com/forums/air/index.php?/topic/311942-f-18e-exhaust-nozzles-two-types/

Ray

• Thanks 2

33 minutes ago, Ray_W said:

I am certainly no expert on the type and only noticed the difference when I went to order the nozzles. Then I checked pictures of my type and went ah ha! I found a little information on it on ARC http://www.arcforums.com/forums/air/index.php?/topic/309288-fa-18ef-exhaust-nozzle-improvement/ and here http://www.arcforums.com/forums/air/index.php?/topic/311942-f-18e-exhaust-nozzles-two-types/

Ray

Wow...thanks for the links Ray!

Did you see the new NLG doors!?!?! 😳😳😳

Gosh, near back on the 3rd page!!!!

Ok just a very quick update, I haven’t done anything on her since the last one (been working on the AMK F-14D……. am not impressed!!!!) , but have removed the devices of torture. 

Am super happy with the LERX joins, compared to last time they are almost invisible, and I haven’t even started any clean-up work!

IMG_6756-L.jpg

The read joins, which are the real problem area with this model, well one is sort of par for normal, a little bit out of whack, plus a gap, but nothing some sprue won’t sort out.

IMG_6757-L.jpg

The other side is much better, it’s nice and even and flat, you can see some stretched sprue filler form earlier.

IMG_6758-L.jpg

This shot shows it much better, all that extra time sorting out this join earlier will now mean less time filling and sanding (many times), a bit of stretched sprue and a light sand and she’s sorted.

IMG_6759-L.jpg

I picked up some more seats yesterday, not sure if I’ll used them of save them for the next one (the Meng F/A-18F).

IMG_6760-L.jpg

Am really happy with the progress, will ditch the AMK F-14D for now (it still may end up in the garbage… it’s that annoying and bad! :angry:  ) and concentrate on completing this one.

IMG_6755-L.jpg

• Like 10

• trickyrich changed the title to 1/48th EA-18G "Growler" - 6 Sqn RAAF 100th Anniversary - minor update
25 minutes ago, trickyrich said:

I picked up some more seats yesterday, not sure if I’ll used them of save them for the next one (the Meng F/A-18F).

IMG_6760-L.jpg

G:day Rich.

Why don't you like your current seats? 

There are a couple of points that don't look right to me.

1.The straps should be a dark green not the lightish gey colour and

2. The parchute risers (shoulder straps) are draped incorrectly. Yours hang straight down from the head box but they should be retained under a horizontal cross-strap against the top of the backrest  (where they feed into the PIRD assembly) as they are depicted on the additional WP seats you have bought

but apart from that they look fine😏

Pappy

• Like 1

I though about using the new ones, but I do like the ones I have already, just now need to correct per your instructions.  :thumbsup:

Arrr ok, that's what that strap was for.... the instructions were a bit vague about that. Easy to correct as it's just white glue, and nothing some paint won't fix. 

9 hours ago, modelling minion said:

She's coming on very nicely Rich, very nice indeed.

You have dealt with the gaps very well, stretched sprue to the rescue again!

Sorry to hear that the AMK F-14 is testing you, perhaps the K in their name stands for Kinetic.😉

trust me, there are lots of other letters to describe THAT model!!!!  :fuyou_2: Those 2 letters being ones of many, have just done the first update...... Do you want to buy a AMK Tomcat, it's going cheap!

9 hours ago, DaveJL said:

Very nice mate, looks like your LERX areas are much better than mine, I'm having a shocker with it!

I think it's one of those models that's either going to play nice or just be a huge pain in the ........

• Like 1

Mate, you are not having fun with these kits at the moment! But keep working on them, it'll make you appreciate your next Tamiya kit even more 😂

...or Monogram 🤣

• Haha 2

this one is a little bit of work, but I knew what I was in for so it's just part of the build. I really wouldn't have issues about building another one of these or even recommending one to someone, especially if they can find a cheap one.

I am very interested now in building a Meng ones, they seem to be a nice. I've built a couple of their AFV's (still to finish as usual with me & AFV's!!) and they build nicely.

Will try to get some more done on this build today, just need to sort out some stuff on a future build/s first.

• Like 1

All right normal service ahs resumed on this build.

Has been a busy day ½ mostly just sorting out joins, probably the weak spot with this model, but I still think it’s a nice model to build. It rewards extra effort.

Ok in the last update I had joined the rear fuselage half’s together and then released them from bondage to see some “interesting” joins to fix!!

So the rear first, the LH side was the worst, one part had sunken in, to fix this some thin sheet was glue into the sunken area.

IMG_6783-L.jpg

The other side just needed some stretched prue.

IMG_6784-L.jpg

Once dry this was carefully sanded back, problem bits gone, just needed some spot filler to complete.

IMG_6787-L.jpg

I try to avoid using filler where possible because I only use lacquer-based paint and it causes the Tamiya filler I use to shrink, noticeable on large area. But because this is just tiny spot fills, this shouldn’t be an issue.

IMG_6789-L.jpg

..and the finished product!

IMG_6797-L.jpg

The other problem area is the LEX’s, it’s nearly impossible to get no gaps and both surfaces level, plus the joins a just simple “butt” joins. So I broke the front LH join and rear RH one, then with some serious plastic abuse, levelled them as best I could and re-glued again.

IMG_6785-L.jpg

Once dry I re-sanded them again, this time the joins are much better.

IMG_6786-L.jpg

Again some spot filling was required but any signs of the joins has gone, this is a vast improvement over the joins I had on the first build!

IMG_6790-L.jpg

Time now for joining the front and rear fuselages together. Test fitting showed (and from previous build) that this was another problem area for getting a good clean join. I actually spent a lot of time just dry fitting these 2 pieces, adjusting, re-fitting, adjusting again…… for many times before finally gluing these section together.

Once dry, just a couple of spots need some stretched spure but that was it, again a dab of filler to finish it off. Really happy with the joins, again last build this area gave my quite a bit of grief and no way did I get a finish like this.

IMG_6794-L.jpg

IMG_6795-L.jpg

IMG_6796-L.jpg

Next up the canopy mould line was carefully sanded back with micro-mesh then polished…… who needs Future!! 

IMG_6791-L.jpg

That cockpit does look really cool.

IMG_6798-L.jpg

Oh look some control surfaces need holes filling……Hasegawa should be ashamed with the control surfaces on this model!

IMG_6793-L.jpg

Finally go to see what the stores load will look like.

IMG_6792-L.jpg

Plus I found some photos of RAAF Growlers, including this one, with an AIM-120 fitted on the spare fuselage pylon, so she stays.

IMG_6799-L.jpg

Finally some goodies arrived as well..

…..new can ends, the detail on these is amazing, much finer then you ge on ResKit one. The only problem is it’s really hard to get glue to stick these on, even CA glue struggles to keep them in place…… god knows what they are made of!

IMG_6777-L.jpg

IMG_6778-L.jpg

…….and some new wheels, only thing is they are a wee bit too saggy I reckon! So may have to give them a bit of a lift with some thin sheet card.

IMG_6776-L.jpg

IMG_6782-L.jpg

I am pretty much already to start painting, almost, do need to go over her complete one more time to check the finish before the fun begins.

There was a lot of work today and yesterday arvo, all spent working on these joins. It’s a nice model bit it really needs that extra bit of attention to get thigs right. The more time you can spend doing all the test fitting means less time filling (and less filler) and sanding. Plus I do really recommend for all gaps/joins etc that you use thin plastic sheet or stretched sprue for the filling process. It takes a bit more time to complete but will give you a much superior finish.

I’m really enjoying this build, can’t wait to start the painting process. 

• Like 7

• trickyrich changed the title to 1/48th EA-18G "Growler" - 6 Sqn RAAF 100th Anniversary - 29/01 update
2 hours ago, Wings unlevel said:

Showing us how it’s done. 👍

When you are enjoying a build it's actually not hard to go that little bit further! ..... and I'm actually really enjoying this build so a little bit of extra work is not a problem at all.

• Like 1

….and it’s painting day and all the main painting is pretty much done! Gotta love lacquer paints!  :yahoo:

Ok, I masked and painted the canopies as well as some final touching up in the cockpit before closing it up.

IMG_6800-L.jpg

The main canopy will be open but for painting it’s closed, PVA glue holding it in place.

A final wipe down with Isopropyl then a quick undercoat of Tamiya XF-20 Grey. I normally use XF-19 but have pretty much run out.

IMG_6801-L.jpg

IMG_6802-L.jpg

Once it had dried, I gave the model a go going over with a soft cotton cloth, this help knock back the flatness/graininess you can get with super thinned Tamiya paints like I use. There were only a couple of spots that needed some reworking.

Next the fun part, pre-shading and panel lines. It’s very hard to see hear but I used 6 different paints (even mixed together different batches), greys/white/black to help break the flatness of the solid Greys. Being a non-carrier based aircraft the scheme won’t be weathered much at all. Plus these Growlers are parked under huge “carports” when not in use. So the paint job will still be pretty nice, plus she’s a special bird as well!

IMG_6803-L.jpg

So first main colour the underside, AK Real Color Lt. Ghost Grey FS.36375. Gosh I just can’t help but love these paints, they thin down beautifully, go on like a dream and gives you a super nice finish!

IMG_6804-L.jpg

Next up some masking then the top colour, again AK Real Color, Dark Ghost Grey FS.36320, and again the finish is top notch!

IMG_6805-L.jpg

My only comment is that the difference between the colours is very subtle, really hard to see in anything other than natural light. Simple colours for MRP are the same.

Right that was the easy bit, now the serious bit of masking for the Blue cheat line….. and yes there was only about 10 minutes from finishing the top colour and masking for the next!!!

This blue line was a bit time consuming to do, Syhart (who do the decals) supply some vinyl mask for the nose masking, but the rest you have to do. Not really easy as there are no proper lines to follow and at the rear ending the blue has to disappear under the yellow/white pin stripe, so some guessing was required here, fingers crossed I got it right.

The paint this time is Gunze’s Mr Color C5 Blue, looked to be a great match for the real colour too.

It went on perfectly on the fuselage, but not so on the tail. Don’t know why, same paint done at the same time. I’m still not a 100% with gloss finishes, I do struggle at times to get a nice finish. Worse comes to worse, it’ll be an easy job to strip back the tails and re-do.

Masks off……

IMG_6808-L.jpg

IMG_6809-L.jpg

She does look super cool! Those blue wing fences are a nice touch as well.

IMG_6810-L.jpg

So she’ll sit for a good 24hrs before I do anymore just to let the paint properly cure. I could easily work on it now the paint will take it, but I want to try polishing the tail so it needs that extra time.

I plan to do some other stuff to her over the week, so by the weekend she’ll be very close to finishing…. Then I can get back to my beloved, the Phantom!!  :wub: Oh and I’ve just bought another ZM F-4E, this will be for a forthcoming IDF F-4E(S), the one with the monstruous camera in the nose!!! 😍

• Like 12
  • Haha 1