1/48th EA-18G "Growler" - 6 Sqn RAAF 100th Anniversary - completed photos

trickyrich

I am more annoyed rather than anything else as I have made a lot more work for myself!

But the up shot is I get to correct a couple things I know I got wrong! I do need to correct the blue spine in a couple of places as it's not quite correct. Was going to leave it and just live with it, but can properly correct it now. Plus the yellow/white striping was not in the correct in a couple of places as well, I should have done it with the canopy off and nose glass mask off.

Will get it right this time. The only real hard bit is going to be removing the decals off the fuselage, they look to be struck pretty good! I want to avoid damaging the paint underneath as I'll be masking and painting straight over the top..... may give it a light rob with a micro-pad. The tail is much easier, strip it and re-paint, the original finish on it was what I was most unhappy with, so it'll be good to correct it.

• Like 2

Ok I’ve started the repair work on her, I was going to wait until I had the new decals in my hot hands, but I couldn’t help myself. Hopefully they show up as there is no going back now!!!

First up lots of really sticky tape…… surprisingly or more like unsurprisingly they didn’t come off as easily as I hope they would.

i-J6jX4pP-L.jpg

I didn’t what to damage the underlying paint too much as I had sort of hoped I could just re-spray over top.

i-xGtNBkb-L.jpg

It looks like now I’ll have to give her a very light and careful rubdown with micro-mesh pads first.

The tail units were much easier to do, just soak for ½ hour in isopropyl, then brush clean.

Next a quick coat of grey primer…… in future I must rub back the painted primer surface with a soft cotton cloth to help remove or reduce the roughness of the finish. I use Tamiya acrylics as a base for lacquer paints (XF-19 or 20), it works a treat and I now never have paint lifting issues. But the finish is very flat with quite a bit of texture, not what I want for a following layer of gloss paint!

Anyway it turns out I had the correct colour blue for this scheme all along…. now have 2 bottles! Somehow I had a very senior moment and picked up the wrong bottle of blue and even managed to convince myself it was the right colour! :doh:

This time I’m using Tamiya X4 which is one of the recommended paints to use. 

The finish is not quite as good as the last time, I may her them a light rub down and a second coat

i-DVttNCh-L.jpg

The difference though is very noticeable here, definitely looks the part now.

i-JtPNpTT-L.jpg

Finger crossed the decals arrive this week and I can get back to completing her! 

• Like 7

• trickyrich changed the title to 1/48th EA-18G "Growler" - 6 Sqn RAAF 100th Anniversary - Remedial work started

Oh ok, that is a completely different colour! I was initially surprised you were going to respray it, but I assumed it was just a slightly different bluish hue. 

But now I get it.

Though... that's a big difference in colour to get wrong if I'm being honest! 

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, arfa1983 said:

Though... that's a big difference in colour to get wrong if I'm being honest! 

Mmm I know!!!  :think: I'm still amazed that for some reason i convinced myself it was correct!  A sigh of old age...... least I remember to put pants on in the morning! :D 

• Haha 2

Well another wee update but an important one…..the colour change is complete……. and I’ve managed to paint my left hand blue!!

So, time to do the fuselage, firstly rubbing all the areas to be painted with 4000 grit pad to smooth everything. Then more masking, this time I got it right and corrected a couple of mistakes from the first time!

Again, Tamiya X4 Blue like I should have used the first time, but this time thinned even further.

I have abandoned all the usual lacquer thinners I have started using Premium Automotive Acrylic Lacquer Thinners (that’s a mouth full), and it’s incredible and a bit cheaper too!!! It thins all the lacquer-based paints as well as Tamiya & Gunze acrylics perfectly. The finish seems to be better as well, and gives an even tougher finish as well.

The other really nice thing I’ve discovered using these thinners with the gloss is that it’s perfectly ok to handle after a few hours, but leave it for a few days to cure and the finish is even better!

So with masking done and paint mixed off we went…….

……..and here she is, the finish is better than anything I’ve managed to airbrush so far with gloss paint, and the corrected lines look so much better.......well I notice the difference!

i-8GVM5PN-L.jpg

Ok I have 2 bits I need to fix up, that nose bulge I need to re-paint anyway, it needs to be a slightly different grey, plus there is a small patch right at the back as well.

i-dBQcTX2-L.jpg

Plus I need to re-paint the section on the LHS where the decal was under the tail, as I had to rub it back with a micro-pad to remove most of the decal, plus to give me a smooth surface.

i-L2Nh2W6-L.jpg

Am so happy with the results, as I was a bit worried that I might have to strip her back completely! Now just need the decals to show up!

i-KF2QVsp-L.jpg

On even better news…..the “Tufted Duck” has or is about to fly!!!!  :yahoo:  After months and months of waiting she’s on her way, I have tracking to follow her, be better than watching Santa!!!!    Then next month #2 should be sent…. can never have enough “Tufted Ducks”! 🥰

• Like 13

• trickyrich changed the title to 1/48th EA-18G "Growler" - 6 Sqn RAAF 100th Anniversary - I have a blue hand!

thanks, it would have ben an even better finish if I hadn't used the Tamiya paint as a primer, but still super happy with the results. It has evened out further now it's finally cured.

Still not much of an update, am waiting for these decals to arrive, they’re coming from a place only about 2 hours north of Sydney, so don’t know why they are taking so long……. Auspost probably has them hostage again!! 🤬

Anyway, done a wee bit more to her, started painting her de-sagged wheels, adding the little bit to them has improved them.

i-snZmqRB-L.jpg

Started painting the cans, they supply masks for this which is nice, the last time I used cans form this lot before I found I had lots of trouble getting the paint to adhere! Not sure what the material is they use but have yet to fit a paint that properly sticks to it, so will have to be careful with the masking. But gee they have some lovely fine detailing on them.

i-hKSDbpq-L.jpg

Completes the touch up of a couple of small spots of overspray, couple of the smaller bit I removed with micro-mesh pads.

i-6nNrxMW-L.jpg

i-cCfQ29C-L.jpg

Just trying the seats out...... was bored..., still need to clean up the cockpit/canopy surrounds.

i-SSMCr6s-L.jpg

i-9KjJL98-L.jpg

I may do a little bit more to her but am sort of stuck now until these decals show up. I won’t do much weathering to her other than some slight staining under the rear of the fuselage, as all shots of her shoe her to be a nice and clean bird.

• Like 5

• trickyrich changed the title to 1/48th EA-18G "Growler" - 6 Sqn RAAF 100th Anniversary - wee update
On 2/19/2022 at 10:11 AM, coneheadff said:

The blue looks awesome! Can't await to see the decals on her

you and me both!!!!

Not a lot to report on this build, I’m still waiting for the new decals to arrive. The guy that produces them is currently snowed under with work (which is prop a good thing) so I just have to be patient.

In the meantime I’ve just finished the bits that I can….. the stores are all sorted a just await a final clear coat, still not sure if it should be a Flat or Semi-Flat finish.

i-btmq4Xx-L.jpg

Started to mask up the cans for more painting, still quite a bit to go on them.

i-WrRKFV7-L.jpg

The wheels and flaps are now fitted, plus she has been given a light wash, I probably won’t go much further with the weathering other than some staining and discolouration on the underside around the engine area.

i-6hrXrG5-L.jpg

i-4kR8Bxm-L.jpg

AAAaaarrrrrrr it’s so frustrating waiting for these decals,  guess I’ll drool over the thought of a new full resin 1/32nd F-22 Raptor that was announced yesterday! 🥰

• Like 8

• trickyrich changed the title to 1/48th EA-18G "Growler" - 6 Sqn RAAF 100th Anniversary - another wee update
11 hours ago, trickyrich said:

AAAaaarrrrrrr it’s so frustrating waiting for these decals,  guess I’ll drool over the thought of a new full resin 1/32nd F-22 Raptor that was announced yesterday! 🥰

Wait...what? :eat: :tasty: 😍

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Alan P said:

Wait...what? :eat: :tasty: 😍

Jet MADS, the makers of the 1/32nd fully resin Viggen, which I've bought 2 off :D, have just announced their next major 1/32nd release will be an F-22 Raptor!!! :bounce:  I was planning to get their new 1/32nd Draken....... but a F-22!!!!

Plus they have mentioned that there will be a further 1/32nd beast that will be announced later in the year, no details yet.

But future releases in order;

1/32nd Viggen - 2nd release and all gone

1/32nd Learjet, still some available 

1/32nd X-3 Stiletto

1/32nd FH-1 Phantom

1/32nd Draken

1/48th P2V-7 Neptune

1/32nd F-22 Raptor  😍

1/32nd ????

36 minutes ago, modelling minion said:

She's looking really good Rich, the light weathering shows off the details perfectly.

Yeah it just needed something light to bring out the the nice Hasegawa detail.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/27/2022 at 10:43 PM, Pappy said:

F-111 🤞

I actually asked there about this they love the aircraft and the idea, but currently have too many other projects in front to even consider :crying:   . Such a shame..... maybe if we pester them enough!!! :D

• 2 weeks later...

still waiting for the replacement/alternate decals from Ronin Graphics, been 6 weeks now!!!  :crying:

I have even ordered another set of the original Syhart ones from France, I don't think this one will make it in time now!! :fraidnot:

Been very out of sorts, so dragged this beast out, so far 3 colours and 12 hours of masking, still more to do before final colour......... am dreading the touch-up work!

IMG_6932-L.jpg

Started this build way back in 2018!

• Like 6

Sorry to hear that the decals haven't arrived Rich and that you won't get the Hornet finished in time, especially as it is looking so good.

Really good to see the beast that is your Su-24 rearing it's head again, and judging by the camo scheme she will be finished as a most appropriate aircraft, top choice mate.👍

🇺🇦

• Like 1

3 hours ago, trickyrich said:

still waiting for the replacement/alternate decals from Ronin Graphics, been 6 weeks now!!!

Hi Rich,

I am just catching up with your build (lovely). I ordered my decals from Ronin and they took 8 weeks to deliver to my Australian address. I have spent the last 2 months back in Australia doing other things. Mainly house maintenance. Now back in Europe with decals in hand. Hope to devote a serious effort in this GB over the last 2 weeks.  

Ray

• Like 1

3 hours ago, modelling minion said:

Sorry to hear that the decals haven't arrived Rich and that you won't get the Hornet finished in time, especially as it is looking so good.

Really good to see the beast that is your Su-24 rearing it's head again, and judging by the camo scheme she will be finished as a most appropriate aircraft, top choice mate.👍

🇺🇦

that she will, am dying now to finish her, I started back in 2018, she's got every AM correction and update available for her..... the Trumpie base model is truly diabolical!

1 hour ago, Ray_W said:

Hi Rich,

I am just catching up with your build (lovely). I ordered my decals from Ronin and they took 8 weeks to deliver to my Australian address. I have spent the last 2 months back in Australia doing other things. Mainly house maintenance. Now back in Europe with decals in hand. Hope to devote a serious effort in this GB over the last 2 weeks.  

Ray

the annoying thing is he is just 1 hour up the road from me!! I e-mailed him, he said he's really busy with a big consignment order..... so I guess us little guys don't matter! Am quite annoyed, won't bother ordering stuff from them again!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, trickyrich said:

still waiting for the replacement/alternate decals from Ronin Graphics, been 6 weeks now!!!  :crying:

I have even ordered another set of the original Syhart ones from France, I don't think this one will make it in time now!! :fraidnot:

Been very out of sorts, so dragged this beast out, so far 3 colours and 12 hours of masking, still more to do before final colour......... am dreading the touch-up work!

Started this build way back in 2018!

was looking forward to a Growler update but was pleasantly surprised with a 🇺🇦Fencer update.... :thumbsup:

great work!

• Thanks 1