1/48th EA-18G "Growler" - 6 Sqn RAAF 100th Anniversary - completed photos

trickyrich

Wow, very very clean surfaces and joints. Very neat paintjob. Excellent Rich!

The blue seems to look a bit darker on the real jet, but it might just be due to photography. I love it!

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Sam said:

Wow, very very clean surfaces and joints. Very neat paintjob. Excellent Rich!

The blue seems to look a bit darker on the real jet, but it might just be due to photography. I love it!

Yeah that blue really changes with the lighting, these photos are done under LED lighting (daylight 5500K), I tried with a flash and it just washed out all colour, in natural light it's much better. Doesn't help that a lot of the photos of her appear to be over saturated, which make her look much better in photos but a right pain to colour match a model!

So for this I went with the colour recommended with the instructions, if it's not 100% right, that I'll adjust the colour saturation to match!! :D

30 minutes ago, modelling minion said:

Blimey mate that is some seriously good painting, really smooth.

Thanks..... but you can't see the tail properly! As mention I still struggle at times to get a nice super smooth gloss finish. The tails and fuselage were done at the same time, yet the fuselage is near perfect and the tails not quite...is a bit annoying.

I'll try a light polish on the tail to see how that goes, or gloss coat. If it all goes to :poop: then I'll just strip it back and try again, easy done as it's just the one colour and nothing really special done prior to that colour.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Alright, back to this baby!

Got quite a bit done today, plus you’ll get a sneak peek as well!

The store and pylons are just about finished, just need a glossy clear coat and the decals can go on…..hmmm one pylon appears to have run off!

IMG_6832-L.jpg

The gear is now on because I keep damaging the underside whenever I plank the wee beast down. The fit is not the greatest, very sloppy, the gear wobbles so CA glue was use to help it behave!

IMG_6833-L.jpg

With the gear in place, she was given a gloss clear coat. I’m using Gunze’s Mr Color for this. I have only just started using this clear and I love it!! It’s really easy to use, about 50:50 paint to thinner (I now use premium automotive lacquer thinner, reasonably cheap and does the job perfectly) and gives you a nice shiny smooth finish. When first laid down it can appear a bit uneven/orange peelish, but give it 30min (you can handle the model straight away) and it all evens out.

IMG_6834-L.jpg

I really wasn’t happy with the original paint job on the tail, it had a real orange peel look to it. So I rubbed it back with 6000 grit micro-pad then a coat of the Mr Color Blue then clear. 

IMG_6835-L.jpg

A tiny bit of “peel” to the finish, but so much better (probably the best finish I’ve gotten with gloss paints and an airbrush, I still struggle with them), I’m not al all concerned about it because a final Flat/Semi-flat still has to go over it at the end. 

With this done the nerve-racking bit starts, decaling. Let’s just say I had forgotten all about using Syhart decals. They are really nice, super thin and a bit unforgiving (actually frighteningly so). You really only get 1 or 2 chances to get the positioning right before the decals is there forever! Use setting solution and it’s one chance baby!!! Trust me I know!

The colour doesn’t even remotely match the instruction sheet that comes with them, my LED lights and camera makes them appear more washed out in the photos, they look much better in natural light. The only way I’d know for sure if it is correct was if I could see the real thing. The majority of the photos of her on-line have been “corrected”, always easy to tell as the sky it just too blue!

Where the blue finishes at a point on the tail, there really wasn’t a proper guide to tell you where to finish it, but by pure chance I nailed it!!

So here is a brief look at her with some decals on.

IMG_6836-L.jpg

IMG_6837-L.jpg

I so love the look of her, she’s going to look great beside her older sibling, RF-111C (I may now have to build another one…and not the HB horror either!)…. Plus guess I’ll now have to re-finish the F-4E as well!

• Like 12

• trickyrich changed the title to 1/48th EA-18G "Growler" - 6 Sqn RAAF 100th Anniversary - Sneak Peek!!!
11 hours ago, modelling minion said:

Oh yes, she's looking really smart mate.

Thanks for the heads up about Syhart decals, I haven't used them before and was thinking of getting some of their sets.

They are nice decals, I have used 1 or 2 sets before, but had forgotten about what they are like.

They are REALLY thin and on a good glossy surface they'll just disappear, plus they'll snuggle up to any detail quite well, maybe a little softener needed in places.

But (there's always one) seeing how they do disappear so nicely they do like to stick, so you get very little time to get them into the right position before they decide they're happy where they are.... be warned! I have a couple of slight position errors now, not really noticeable, just a bit annoying. In my case I won't be using the setting solution anymore as yo get even less chance to position the decal correctly. So while they are still quite wet on the model adjust them quickly as once all the water goes they start to stick.

All that aside, I would still recommend any of the Syhart decals, they have really great schemes, just though a little tricky to use.

• Like 2

Hmmm I must have been thinking about some other decals when I mentioned that these were really nice decals! They are terrifying but that is the least of my problems now!!!

I am now 100% sure the blue is wrong probably a few shades too light!! I have been looking at all the colour swatches for the listed blue colour and I have unfortunately chosen the one that just happened to be the lightest! To have it sort of look right is certain lights is not good enough, I stuffed up in paint selection and I can’t live with it being the wrong colour. So it has to come off! :suicide:

The tail will be the easy part, just strip and repaint, the fuselage, not so easy! I may be able to just strip back the decals, mask and re-paint, or worse case, strip it back and redo…… really don’t want to have to do that!

I have a set of the Ronin Graphics decals for this scheme on the way, I have used their decals before and they are nice decals, hopefully they go on a bit better.

Anyway, this now has to go on the back burner till the new ones show up….. they might be here by the weekend?

The curse of the 6 Sqn aircraft strikes again… my F-4E, all the decals lifted off, the Hobby Boss F-111C, the curse here is that they actually released it in the first place (what a piece of  :poop:   that model is)!!!

Any hoop….. this is where she sits at the moment…

….. decaling is done on 90% of the stores, just need to do the flying exploding thingy’s.

IMG_6838-L.jpg

The control surfaces, had to use the Hasegawa decals here as the Syhart ones just disappeared into the background!  They appear to be the same colour as the FS.36320 upper surfaces!

IMG_6839-L.jpg

The underside came out ok.

IMG_6842-L.jpg

This area took ages to do (nearly an hour), I had to cut up decals to get it to join nicely… still not very nice! The big issue is the positioning of the blue, for most of it the white/yellow stripe sits inside of it, but right at the end it goes outside of it. This is where you sort of have to guess where it occurs as the decal guide is no help. Anyway very frustrating and time consuming and still not 100% correct!

IMG_6840-L.jpg

The front was not quite as bad, there was a gap and I had to chop up a decal to patch this as well. Again placement guide is a bit vague here.

IMG_6841-L.jpg

Finally where this stripe meets the canopy, I didn’t get right, I should have done the decaling with the canopy off….know better next time.

IMG_6843-L.jpg

Oh well I have some work ahead of me…. Hopefully I’ll get it right this time!  :pray:

• Like 2
  • Sad 4

• trickyrich changed the title to 1/48th EA-18G "Growler" - 6 Sqn RAAF 100th Anniversary - Stuffed up big time!!!
14 minutes ago, Pappy said:

Bugger!

Pappy

It is, but not unfixable.... 

All the bits, paint and decals should be here by the weekend, it's just a right pain in the bottom!

I want it ready for my clubs ANZAC meet, so still have plenty of time to fix her up.

• Like 1