1/48th EA-18G "Growler" - 6 Sqn RAAF 100th Anniversary - completed photos

trickyrich

Wow first GB of the year already and the start of a hopefully not too busy GB year.

This build was a case of what came first the model or the decals, in this case the decals are from Syhart and once I had seen them, I just had to have them. :wub:

IMG_5576-L.jpg

The model is Hasegawa’s EA-18G which is an updated version of their F/A-18E/F models.

IMG_5781-L.jpg

IMG_5775-L.jpg

Of course, now Meng has released their version of the Growler….and yes, I will resist for now......just………… though I do have an extra Quinta set……… don’t ask! :doh:

Extras, there’s always room/need for extras…. :D

…. new Cans from Aires, they are sort of ok and all I could get at the time, but I now see ResKit have a set so…..

IMG_6639-L.jpg

…. plus, some quite nice Aires Bang seats, the PE belts will be replaced with Quinta ones, much easier to use!

IMG_6640-L.jpg

Really, don’t ask……… though I could always use the 2nd set on 2nd F/A-18F model…

IMG_6641-L.jpg

IMG_5779-L.jpg

They are a huge improvement over the supplied decals!

Finally, the decals/scheme for the special 100th Anniversary 6 Squadron EA-18G Growler. :wub:

IMG_5778-L.jpg

IMG_5777-L.jpg

I served with 6 Sqn in the 80’s working on the F-111’s so of course I have a real soft spot for aircraft operated by them…… so that second set may come in handy for a 6 Sqn “Operation Okra” F/A-18F!

Will miss the start of this one (away with work) but hopefully the following weekend…. can’t wait!

• Like 13

Interesting. 

I don't think I've seen a Growler being built. 

So I'll take a seat in the back taking notes. 📔

I'll be adding one to my collection when Luftwaffe get theirs. 

/Bosse  :popcorn: :beer:

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, modelling minion said:

A great choice Rich, these are superb aircraft and the Anniversary scheme is really smart.

I see that you have assembled your usual supply of aftermarket goodies, although it is quite light on resin compared to some of your builds.

Yes I know, a bit light on resin, but there really isn't that much needed with this model, Hasegawa did a nice job with it. I'm not game enough to try the Aires cockpit, way too many bad experiences there!  The new resin seats are really nice, but no belts, only PE rubbish, but luckily Quinta solves that problem vey nicely.

Though there is one stuff up which is my doing (did it on the Superbug build) which is the exhaust cans. Got a new resin set, though all would be good, until I had a good look yesterday. My new can are for the Revell model, don't know how I stuffed that up. To fit them well require surgery, and even then they'll still foul the stab mounting setup, same issue as when I tried to fit the ResKit cans on the last build! :wall:

Luckily I found a lot that sells both the full exhaust setup or just the rear can bit, so all is not lost....... well the Revell ones maybe..... or I could just only use those bit!

8 hours ago, Marlin said:

Interesting. 

I don't think I've seen a Growler being built. 

So I'll take a seat in the back taking notes. 📔

I'll be adding one to my collection when Luftwaffe get theirs. 

/Bosse  :popcorn: :beer:

Oooo a Luftwaffe Super Hornet!!!! Now you're talking, I had forgotten they were getting them..... add another one to the every growing "to build" list! :D

• Like 2

Hi Rich,

I'll be following this one with interest. I also plan the Hasegawa Growler in RAAF markings with the exception mine will be in a very unusual colour scheme - that is the standard grey's. Final markings still not chosen. Finger on the trigger waiting to see what Ronin Graphics do in the next couple of weeks. It will not stop my start. I am using similar aftermarket to yourself (Quinta and Aires seats) with the exception of Reskit wheels and exhausts. I'll start my thread in the next couple of days. In the mean time I am finishing my OV-10A.

Ray

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Ray_W said:

Hi Rich,

I'll be following this one with interest. I also plan the Hasegawa Growler in RAAF markings with the exception mine will be in a very unusual colour scheme - that is the standard grey's. Final markings still not chosen. Finger on the trigger waiting to see what Ronin Graphics do in the next couple of weeks. It will not stop my start. I am using similar aftermarket to yourself (Quinta and Aires seats) with the exception of Reskit wheels and exhausts. I'll start my thread in the next couple of days. In the mean time I am finishing my OV-10A.

Ray

thanks, are you using the full ResKit exhaust set or just the end can? The complete ResKit exhaust is to long to fit without cutting up the elevator joining setup. I've decided just to use the cans from the Aires set (it was for the Revell model so nothing else fits.  

I may have to get some new wheels as well! :D I'm waiting for Ronin Graphic to re-release their 1/48th P-38 set....... waiting is probably a huge understatement!! :pray:

AS probably a first for me, I've started this build and I am not at home, I brought the model, some, glue, cutting implements and rough paper to clean up any joins! Not too sure how much I'll be able to do, but really wanted to start this build!! With luck and some time I might be able to do some of the major sub-assemblies.

Having built this one already there are heaps of simple bits I can do, just need to not do the work work I'm meant to be doing (JSEA's! :whistle:)   ........ plus I  just need to lay off the beer!    :cheers:   

• Like 3

• trickyrich changed the title to 1/48th EA-18G "Growler" - 6 Sqn RAAF 100th Anniversary - started ....... remotely!
10 minutes ago, trickyrich said:

AS probably a first for me, I've started this build and I am not at home,

Hi Rich,

I had a chuckle reading this. I usually do my building remote from home. Always, end up with a collection of modelling gear placed all over the world. I take with me what I call my "A" Tools and airbrushes and buy local. My time away in one location is usually months so this is easier to do. In fact, I am finally heading home, end of the month, having been away from the family for two years due to COVID. This will stop any modelling for at least 6 weeks so I hope to make some good progress on my Growler before I leave my current abode. Then, hopefully, get the Ronin decals while home.

Looking at the Hasegawa kit, it almost seems a retro build. It has been a long time since I have built a kit with separate wings and a trunking seam to fix. Oh well, good to keep the old skills (if I had any) up to date.  I intend to use the Reskit exhaust although how much of it is yet to be determined. One reason I am using less and less aftermarket is the amount of what I buy that does not get used. I am looking forward to painting up the Aries seats. Should see a start on all this Wednesday. 

Ray

• Like 3

Ok I’m back so let this year’s mayhem commence!

They say an idle mind/hands is the devil's workshop :devil: , well I have been a wee bit busy during the GB break….. just to try and keep me off evilBay! :D

So completely off subject, which is SOP for me…. this is some of what I’ve been upto…..and some of it is really bad!

I bought the Kitty Hawk Su-22M4 at my last club meet (plus lots of AM stuff afterwards) and though this would be a nice summer break project……… what a piece of  :poop: this model is, fit is poor, injection pins everywhere, completely over engineered then poorly executed, I could go on for hours on just how bad this model is! How this has managed to stay out of the bin is beyond me!

IMG_6686-L.jpg

The Cold War Models underside correction bit fitted better than all the other bits……. And don’t get me started on how the Yahu IP fitted as the Quinta one wasn’t available at the time!  :angry:

IMG_6689-L.jpg

So move on to something less stressful……. a Kitty Hawk F2H-2 Banshee! :wall: I found out after doing researching some other stuff that VF-31 for a short time used the F2H-2 Banshee before swapping over the bigger F2H-3 Banshee. So and of course I had to get a model of this version. Unfortunately the only new model of the early version is by Kitty Hawk, and is now super hard to find at a reasonable price…… but I found one cheap….. and yes, it’s equally as crappy to build. All the same issues!

IMG_6681-L.jpg

There was then a brief stint on an old build, a 1/48th Space Above & Beyond Hammerhead….full resin of course!  Did some tiding up on it, played with some Tamiya epoxy filler, decided to add some undercarriage (it didn’t have any) for fun……. made a huge mess, and "resin snow" angels, then moved on to something else….and easier.

IMG_6680-L.jpg

… a Hobby Boss F3H2 Demon, in VF-31 colours. The only issue was that HB got the 2 boxings of this model mixed up! They have the early model F3H-2M/N (had the long tail) with the later version schemes and the later model F3H-2 with F3H schemes…and unlike Hasegawa they don’t provide parts for both in the same box,,,,,, would have been so much easier! Anyway, rather than trying to hack up the right decals I just made the later tail (prob should have just bought the other version!).

IMG_6676-L.jpg

So after all that waffling & messing around it is finally time to get back to the subject in hand…. So back to the bench with my box of goodies (it’s in a Tamiya F-14 box) from my trip away.

IMG_6690-L.jpg

Wing assemblies are together… I really hate the way they have done the main flaps with the insert, it doesn’t fit correctly and needs packing to sit flush.

IMG_6692-L.jpg

…and why do they have to do the injection points on the insides of the intakes, would have thought it was easy to do that on the outside?

IMG_6695-L.jpg

Some filling required for the Growler version.

IMG_6691-L.jpg

Stores… I really don’t like the AGM-88’s, may get some AM replacements.

IMG_6693-L.jpg

Made the blades on the ALQ-99’s looks a bit less block like.... sorry about photo quality!

IMG_6694-L.jpg

Interesting fact the RAAF Growlers have the IP Pod fitted LH intake pylon, none of the US aircraft have to option fitted. The RAAF want it for better identification of the target….. maybe they’re more concerned about “friendly fire”! :whistle:

IMG_6696-L.jpg

The AM cans…… well the ones I have were for the Revel model (gosh knows why I ordered those!), I may just use the rear cans, of just buy some nicer ones…will see how the shopping goes.

IMG_6697-L.jpg

IMG_6698-L.jpg

The new resin seats I like, the PE belts that came with them will be replaced with the ones for the Qunita set.

IMG_6699-L.jpg

Since I took these photo’s yesterday arvo, I’ve done more cleaning up and started to get the cockpit ready for painting. From tomorrow arvo I’ll bet into this full on…can’t wait!  :yahoo:

• Like 10

• trickyrich changed the title to 1/48th EA-18G "Growler" - 6 Sqn RAAF 100th Anniversary - "an idle mind......."
19 minutes ago, trickyrich said:

and why do they have to do the injection points on the insides of the intakes, would have thought it was easy to do that on the outside?

I asked myself the same question.

29 minutes ago, trickyrich said:

may just use the rear cans, of just buy some nicer ones…will see how the shopping goes.

Something to possibly tempt you. Reskit close up.

BM EA-18G c17

29 minutes ago, trickyrich said:

(it’s in a Tamiya F-14 box)

A very useful big box. I am allocating a cost of the Tamiya box use to other builds. I think after 400 kit builds I'll say the Tamiya F-4B was free. 🙃 Now what condition the box is in will be another matter. 

Bronco WIP 99

Ray

• Like 4

1 hour ago, trickyrich said:

and why do they have to do the injection points on the insides of the intakes, would have thought it was easy to do that on the outside?

I guess the ejectors have to go on the side most likely to stick to the mould. Usually the concave side because the plastic shrinks as it cools and pulls away from the other side but tightens around the other other side. 

That will teach you to go playing with Kittyhawk models without adult supervision, they are looking good though. The Demon looks a much better proposition, until recently its not an aircraft I have had much interest in but I have found some quite colourful ones and quite fancy building one now.

Good to see your Hornet underway, and with some resin goodies too.

• Like 1

Ok lots done today, as usual this update is in no particular order.

Having built one of these recently I sort of know where all the areas are that I need to watch.

So, the nose section was built up. Now the Growler doesn’t have a gun and the radome is slightly different. So, the old gun port/s and grooved nose tip were filled with plastic.

IMG_6702-L.jpg

Then sanded back.

IMG_6703-L.jpg

I needed filler in just a few spots to make everything nice and smooth.

IMG_6711-L.jpg

The main flaps were finished, as mentioned early, the way these have been done is quite poor, you need to add some packing behind the insert piece to get the height sort of right, then sanding and filler is a must!

IMG_6712-L.jpg

The intakes go together ok, but there was a gap at the top join, so stretched sprue was used to sort this out.

IMG_6701-L.jpg

Once this was done they were fitted to the lower fuselage section, I had better joins this time around but here were still a couple to sort out.

IMG_6715-L.jpg

The rear fuselage sides were next, again a couple of problematic joins to correct, even after lots of test fitting and careful aligning and gluing I still was left with this…… out with more glow-n-sprue!

IMG_6716-L.jpg

Wings assemblies done.

IMG_6704-L.jpg

This time I fitted the wing per the instructions, which glue the wings to the upper fuselage, last time I glued the fuselage first then wings to it. Almost perfect joins this time……..maybe I should start following the instructions for a change!

IMG_6713-L.jpg

IMG_6714-L.jpg

Enginey bits, started painting, decided I’ll keep the new resin cans, just have to work out now how to set up the elevators????

IMG_6717-L.jpg

Finally, the cockpit and bang seats are done, all ready to fit and closeup the front fuselage. Gosh it looks good, there are some tiny bits to be added and some final painting but I can ether do them before closing it up or afterwards.  

IMG_6705-L.jpg

IMG_6706-L.jpg

IMG_6709-L.jpg

IMG_6710-L.jpg

Using the Quinta seat belts was so much easier that stuffing around with PE ones.

IMG_6707-L.jpg

Plus Quinta was even nice enough to supply cockpit side….though no real guide where to fit then, Hasegawa has no detail at all there.

IMG_6708-L.jpg

Super happy with progress, she’s coming together nice and quick. As I keep raving on, this is a nice model to build, no real dramas, a little bit of work to get things just right. A nice enjoyable build… now why can’t the usual suspects not do the same, rather than the over/under engineered :poop:  we get from them now!!!

• Like 9

• trickyrich changed the title to 1/48th EA-18G "Growler" - 6 Sqn RAAF 100th Anniversary - 16/1 update

Excellent work Rich, as always, and very useful explanation and solution of the trouble areas. That cockpit does look good.

Ray 

• Thanks 1

Ok a quick update on today’s work, not too many photos but lots of fiddly stuff done.

The rear fuselage join was sorted, filled the gaps/depressions with plastic sprue, then sanded back after a few hours. It came out really nice, just some final touching up to do, the plastic in places was still a little bit soft.

before:

IMG_6716-L.jpg

after:

IMG_6719-L.jpg

I messed around with the cans and tried various options on how to go, in the end I decided to use the AM resin ones, even though they are not for this model. I at first just opened up the rear opening as I planned to just slide the completed units in. But I remembered from the last build what a pain it was to re-scribe that very rear section. So I figured I’d just use the complete set and cut off that problem bit…simple! :whistle:

IMG_6718-L.jpg

At this stage I was so involved in the processes I completely forgot to take photos

Anyway I assembled the elevators joining piece (allows them to move together) and glued in place, then once dry cut the middle section out so the new longer exhaust cans would fit.

I also remembered how painful it was fixing up all these joins at the rear section of the fuselage, so spent ages test fitting and adding bits to help align everything..... ie see new brace! 

IMG_6722-L.jpg

As can be seen intakes are in place, not an easy task to get right, I’m sort of ok with them. This is one part of the kit I don’t like and think could have been done better.

Once all this was done, I could close up the fuselage. Just a wee bit of clamping required!

IMG_6723-L.jpg

I’m after good joins so that’s the reason for all this, fingers crossed all will be good. :pray:

Lots of other little jobs were done as well. I’m away with work all this week, then have club meeting on Saturday, so probably not until next Sunday before I can continue with this build. I want to get this one ready for painting before I look at the F-14D. If I can get this one out of the way quickly I might even make a start on the Meng F/A-18E, in VF-31 colours of course! :D

• Like 8

• trickyrich changed the title to 1/48th EA-18G "Growler" - 6 Sqn RAAF 100th Anniversary - 2nd 16/1 update
9 hours ago, trickyrich said:

This time I fitted the wing per the instructions, which glue the wings to the upper fuselage, last time I glued the fuselage first then wings to it. Almost perfect joins this time……..maybe I should start following the instructions for a change!

IMG_6713-L.jpg

What!? Follow instructions?  tut tut.

It looks like it is well on its way to becoming a SciFi spaceship in this photo.

Have a good week, we'll keep the cat out of the workshop while you're gone.

• Thanks 1

On 1/13/2022 at 8:17 AM, Ray_W said:

BM EA-18G c17

I thought about buying that set too, but then I thought that something looked weird 🤔 

Take a look at the photos from Melampy's book.

spacer.png

The trailing edge is straight and I have no idea where Reskit has that "kink" from!?!?

Alex

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, coneheadff said:

The trailing edge is straight and I have no idea where Reskit has that "kink" from!?!?

Reskit sells two versions a Type 1 nozzle without the kink and a Type 2 with the kink. The RAAF Growlers have the Type 2.

BM EA-18G c19

Ray

• Like 4